The Student Room Group
Oh you sweet summer child.
Original post by liverpool2044
im going in to 2nd year next year and i get a house which is contracted to start on 1st july, i dont really know where ill get that money from, can sfe payments be before september?

:no:

SFE payments come when SFE wants.
Original post by Neostigmine
:no:

SFE payments come when SFE wants.

im not sure at all how to fund it, are there any additional sort of loan available?
im not sure at all how to fund it, are there any additional sort of loan available?

Overdraft?
Job?
Loan?
Parents?
Find a flat that takes deposits in September?

Banks sometimes give uni students "professional development" loans... credit card is a last resort.... :frown:
You can get your payment date changed to be paid earlier but not before you start the academic year (Exception would be students who are studying abroad, they can get paid before September)
Original post by murpo
You can get your payment date changed to be paid earlier but not before you start the academic year (Exception would be students who are studying abroad, they can get paid before September)

so i got paid 26th september last time could i make it so i got paid a few weeks earlier?
Reply 7
so i got paid 26th september last time could i make it so i got paid a few weeks earlier?

Student Finance have a Hardship process via which you can request an early payment. However this is highly unlikely to cover a) a foreseeable situation where you've voluntarily signed a contract which you know you won't be able to afford and b) needing a payment two and a half months before the due date of your next SF Maintenance Loan instalment. Call SF to find out more but it's a really long shot in your case and I definitely wouldn't be optimistic.

Other than the Hardship process and murpo's exception above, you can't get a Maintenance Loan payment any earlier than the official start date of your course's academic year - and even then it may be delayed by your uni's process which confirms your attendance to SF. You can't get a Professional and Career Development Loan for undergrad courses.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
Student Finance have a Hardship process via which you can request an early payment. However this is highly unlikely to cover a) a foreseeable situation where you've voluntarily signed a contract which you know you won't be able to afford and b) needing a payment two and a half months before the due date of your next SF Maintenance Loan instalment. Call SF to find out more but it's a really long shot in your case and I definitely wouldn't be optimistic.

Other than the Hardship process and murpo's exception above, you can't get a Maintenance Loan payment any earlier than the official start date of your course's academic year - and even then it may be delayed by your uni's process which confirms your attendance to SF. You can't get a Professional and Career Development Loan for undergrad courses.

ok can you ask them to distribute the amount of loan in different terms?
Reply 9
im going in to 2nd year next year and i get a house which is contracted to start on 1st july, i dont really know where ill get that money from, can sfe payments be before september?

Will you (or anyone you are contractually sharing with) be in the house from 1st July until your course actually starts? If not it seems a long time for a house to be empty, there might be insurance problems with that...

And regarding getting money "early", perhaps your overdraft can cover it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The money you were given from SFE in your first year is supposed to last a whole year. You should have been saving from this to pay your first rent instalments, knowing that your contract begins 1st July. The money is supposed to cover you for the summer as well as term time.

Surely you can pay for it out of the instalment you got this month?
Reply 11
ok can you ask them to distribute the amount of loan in different terms?

No, those are set.

As Doonesbury suggests, your overdraft is probably your best hope.
Original post by Doonesbury
Will you (or anyone you are contractually sharing with) be in the house from 1st July until your course actually starts? If not it seems a long time for a house to be empty, there might be insurance problems with that...

And regarding getting money "early", perhaps your overdraft can cover it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes there will be a few of us in and out of the house during summer, however the problem is that usually student loan is evenly split between the three terms despite this final one im in now only being 4 weeks long therefore ill be completely fine paying it off in the shorter semesters with money to spare its just these first few months, we got on housing abit late and most contracts began 1st july
Original post by Dusky Mauve
The money you were given from SFE in your first year is supposed to last a whole year. You should have been saving from this to pay your first rent instalments, knowing that your contract begins 1st July. The money is supposed to cover you for the summer as well as term time.

Surely you can pay for it out of the instalment you got this month?

yes ive got 600 spare which takes me into august, it's around 400 a month (100/pw)
i feel if i use overdraft then pay it off with september student finance that should be the toughest hurdle to cross
Reply 14
yes there will be a few of us in and out of the house during summer, however the problem is that usually student loan is evenly split between the three terms despite this final one im in now only being 4 weeks long therefore ill be completely fine paying it off in the shorter semesters with money to spare its just these first few months, we got on housing abit late and most contracts began 1st july

Your current Maintenance Loan payment is supposed to last you through the summer months until the next academic year. It will be slightly larger than the previous two instalments, but still assumes that you have other income such as a part-time job or help from parents. If you expect to spend all of this term's instalment in four weeks, then your budget needs a major revision.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
Your current Maintenance Loan payment is supposed to last you through the summer months until the next academic year. It will be slightly larger than the previous two instalments, but still assumes that you have other income such as a part-time job or help from parents. If you expect to spend all of this term's instalment in four weeks, then your budget needs a major revision.

with accomodation taken off i get 800, im literally giving myself 200 for 5 weeks just so that ive got 600 to help me pay the rent off, yes ill try to get a part time job in the summer but i cant think about that now with exams quickly approaching
U made me giggle lol

Latest

Trending

Trending