The Student Room Group

Can I get into an a*aa course with aaa

I applied for economics at Durham university this year and got rejected with my grades. However they didn't take into consideration the fact that I was one ums off an a star in maths and 1 mark off an a star in economics. Assuming my grades don't increase following a remark, is it possible that they would accept me for 2018 entry? Or would they expect me to resit in order to gain an extra mark??
Please help, thank you:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by ineedA
I applied for economics at Durham university this year and got rejected with my grades. However they didn't take into consideration the fact that I was one ums off an a star in maths and 1 mark off an a star in economics. Assuming my grades don't increase following a remark, is it possible that they would accept me for 2018 entry? Or would they expect me to resit in order to gain an extra mark??
Please help, thank you:smile:

I hope that your remarks go well. If they do, will Durham overturn their decision and admit you this year? I'm really sorry to tell you that my brother studied at Durham and they are not well renowned for their leniency in circumstances like this (as you can tell from their lack of understanding in your case this year). If your heart is set on Durham but your mark doesn't go up, you'd need to get that A* to get in next year.
Reply 2
Original post by Tomm98
I hope that your remarks go well. If they do, will Durham overturn their decision and admit you this year? I'm really sorry to tell you that my brother studied at Durham and they are not well renowned for their leniency in circumstances like this (as you can tell from their lack of understanding in your case this year). If your heart is set on Durham but your mark doesn't go up, you'd need to get that A* to get in next year.

They'd give me a cash incentive to go next year, if I get in this year I'll be staying somewhere pretty bad /: are you sure? I'm literally one mark off an a star in two of my subjects, will they not even consider that?
Original post by ineedA
They'd give me a cash incentive to go next year, if I get in this year I'll be staying somewhere pretty bad /: are you sure? I'm literally one mark off an a star in two of my subjects, will they not even consider that?

It's important to realise, that while you are on the border, and only just missed the grade, they are likely to have already taken, and if it's in clearing, intend to take, many more students who not only achieved an A*, but were well ahead of the boundary. They typically aren't wanting for applicants, and have the benefit of being able to just take the cream of the crop.

That said, there are plenty of excellent universities, many of whom are in clearing, who may well be happy to consider you, either this year or next. But I would advise to, if the remark does not go in your favour, discount Durham and focus your application on other universities.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
It's important to realise, that while you are on the border, and only just missed the grade, they are likely to have already taken, and if it's in clearing, intend to take, many more students who not only achieved an A*, but were well ahead of the boundary. They typically aren't wanting for applicants, and have the benefit of being able to just take the cream of the crop.

That said, there are plenty of excellent universities, many of whom are in clearing, who may well be happy to consider you, either this year or next. But I would advise to, if the remark does not go in your favour, discount Durham and focus your application on other universities.

Thanks for the advice but I'm not going to go anywhere else :smile: I'll just retake next year
Wow that sucks hard. Good luck retaking though.
Reply 6
Original post by ineedA

As @artful_lounger said, Durham attract such a high number of top achieving candidates that they can afford to be incredibly selective. Admission tutors also have to consider the difficulty of the course. They set the admission criteria for a reason - the course is tough. If tutors showed too much leniency and admitted students that achieved lower than the A Level entry requirements, they could go on to struggle and subsequently drop out. Admission tutors could find themselves liable for the consequences of that then, as they made the decision to admit someone to the course with lower than the agreed entry requirements. Alternatively, letting in students with lower grades would lower standards of a course, which given that Durham's reputation is its USP, admission tutors are very unlikely to show any leniency whatsoever.

How come you will be disadvantaged in you accommodation if your marks went up and you went this year? That sounds like a pretty raw deal for you all due to the fault of an examiner.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Tomm98
As @artful_lounger said, Durham attract such a high number of top achieving candidates that they can afford to be incredibly selective. Admission tutors also have to consider the difficulty of the course. They set the admission criteria for a reason - the course is tough. If tutors showed too much leniency and admitted students that achieved lower than the A Level entry requirements, they could go on to struggle and subsequently drop out. Admission tutors could find themselves liable for the consequences of that then, as they made the decision to admit someone to the course with lower than the agreed entry requirements. Alternatively, letting in students with lower grades would lower standards of a course, which given that Durham's reputation is its USP, admission tutors are very unlikely to show any leniency whatsoever.

How come you will be disadvantaged in you accommodation if your marks went up and you went this year? That sounds like a pretty raw deal for you all due to the fault of an examiner.

Well it's not like achieving one more mark would miraculously make me several times more intelligent, and I'm not guaranteed my first choice college if I missed my grades prior to a remark, and I'm also not guaranteed entry this year I don't think, kinda sucks
Reply 8
Original post by HoldThisL
Wow that sucks hard. Good luck retaking though.

Best of a bad situation I suppose
Reply 9
Original post by ineedA
Well it's not like achieving one more mark would miraculously make me several times more intelligent, and I'm not guaranteed my first choice college if I missed my grades prior to a remark, and I'm also not guaranteed entry this year I don't think, kinda sucks

Consider this - if the department are showing no leniency at all in your admission, are they going to show any leniency if you fall into any unexpected personal difficulties and may need an essay extension for instance? I'd strongly recommend applying elsewhere.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Tomm98
Consider this - if the department are showing no leniency at all in your admission, are they going to show any leniency if you fall into any unexpected personal difficulties and may need an essay extension for instance? I'd strongly recommend applying elsewhere.

Don't see any relevance of your anecdote...if I don't get in I'm going to retake
Reply 11
Original post by ineedA
Don't see any relevance of your anecdote...if I don't get in I'm going to retake

Good luck then - scraping into Durham is one thing, staying there is quite another if you're quite not up to scratch!
Reply 12
Phone them up - see what offer they can give you!
Reply 13
Original post by Tomm98
Good luck then - scraping into Durham is one thing, staying there is quite another if you're quite not up to scratch!

Jesus lord, thanks mate
Reply 14
Original post by AyyJeh
Phone them up - see what offer they can give you!

I am in the morning :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending