The Student Room Group

I don't really like the university I'm at

I've been at uni for 2 and 1/2 weeks now studying engineering (although really I've been here for 5 and 1/2 weeks, because I did an extra course before university started) and I don't really like the university.

This university was not my first choice. I applied late and after a gap year, and had limited choice of universities due to reasons I won’t go into here. Due to my limited choice I feel like I could have gone to a university that would have suited me more. I am regretting not taking a second gap year and applying properly, with a full range of choice.

I have personally found the university doesn’t feel right. I don’t really like the city and feel of the place, and to an extent the university itself. A lot of the people I’ve met so far on my course and in other places don’t seem to be the type of people I’m going to become friends with. They’re not horrible by any means, I just don’t see myself being friends with them. I have made some friends though (however, one has told me she is seriously thinking of dropping out)

I have a couple of worries about the course. First it’s not currently accredited because it’s a new course (It is likely to be accredited though, but it’s a bit worrying all the same). Secondly it’s not exactly how I expected, as it has more emphasis on some parts of the course than I expected it to have. I think it’s too early to make a proper judgement on the course though, as I’ve only had a week and a half of lectures. I think overall, engineering was the right choice for me however.

Currently I can see 3 options:

1. Drop out, reapply to universities I am confident I will like

2. Stay at the university this year, transfer to a university I like better (this seems like it might be difficult to do and I’m doing an engineering course that only a few universities offer as well)

3. Stay at the university, and hope that I start liking the place

I just want to enjoy university. I haven’t had a great time over the past few years, so I want to go to a university that I really like and can do well at. I know it is quite early, only the first few weeks, but at the minute, I can’t see myself at this university for the next 5 years. Any advice is greatly appreciated
Stay there until Christmas so you've had a good amount of time to settle in and get to know the city a bit more. If by then you're still not sure then I'd say drop out and reapply properly, as you'll be much happier.
I would agree with the other poster. As you have just started, you haven't had enough time to settle in yet. Try to stick it out for a little longer - you may find things improve.

If you still feel the same, leave and apply to another uni and course that you are happy with. At least you will have given your uni a chance first.
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
Stay there until Christmas so you've had a good amount of time to settle in and get to know the city a bit more. If by then you're still not sure then I'd say drop out and reapply properly, as you'll be much happier.

Original post by cheesecakelove
I would agree with the other poster. As you have just started, you haven't had enough time to settle in yet. Try to stick it out for a little longer - you may find things improve.

If you still feel the same, leave and apply to another uni and course that you are happy with. At least you will have given your uni a chance first.

I do agree that I need to give it more time. I'm a bit worried about the financial implications, because I understand there is a date before which you don't have to pay any tuition fees for the time you've been at the university. However, if I leave at Christmas I only have to pay back part of the £9250 so I suppose it isn't that bad, but it's not ideal. Also, say I do want to leave at Chrsitmas, do you think it would be better to drop out and reapply, or get through the first year and try and transfer?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Goeke
I feel exactly the same way! What uni are you at?

Sorry - I'd rather not say because it's quite a small course and I don't want to risk being identified.

What do you think you're going to do? Are you going to give it some more time to make sure?
Original post by Boople
I do agree that I need to give it more time. I'm a bit worried about the financial implications, because I understand there is a date before which you don't have to pay any tuition fees for the time you've been at the university. However, if I leave at Christmas I only have to pay back part of the £9250 so I suppose it isn't that bad, but it's not ideal. Also, say I do want to leave at Chrsitmas, do you think it would be better to drop out and reapply, or get through the first year and try and transfer?

It depends on the course that you want to transfer to. If they are similar, you will have a better chance but you can only transfer if there is a space available and the university are willing to take you on. Reapplying to start first year means that you have more spots on the course to apply for.
Reply 6
Original post by Boople
Sorry - I'd rather not say because it's quite a small course and I don't want to risk being identified.

What do you think you're going to do? Are you going to give it some more time to make sure?

I'm probably going to wait another another week or so before I make a decision, but most likely I'm going to move. The people here just don't seem like the type of people I would be good friends with and be able to have intellectual conversations with etc. Some of the people on my course seem clever enough, but most don't seem like the sort of people I would get along well with. I'm going to try my luck with doing a foundation year at a better uni (I didn't get the grades I wanted).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
It depends on the course that you want to transfer to. If they are similar, you will have a better chance but you can only transfer if there is a space available and the university are willing to take you on. Reapplying to start first year means that you have more spots on the course to apply for.

So it is a risk planning on transferring then. How much would you say I'd have to dislike the university for it to be worth dropping out? At the minute I don't really hate it here, I just feel like I could enjoy myself better elsewhere. Don't worry if you don't want to answer that question, because I know that's quite a difficult question with no clear answer
Reply 8
Original post by Goeke
I'm probably going to wait another another week or so before I make a decision, but most likely I'm going to move. The people here just don't seem like the type of people I would be good friends with and be able to have intellectual conversations with etc. Some of the people on my course seem clever enough, but most don't seem like the sort of people I would get along well with. I'm going to try my luck with doing a foundation year at a better uni (I didn't get the grades I wanted).

I can understand that. So you're pretty sure then?
Original post by Boople
So it is a risk planning on transferring then. How much would you say I'd have to dislike the university for it to be worth dropping out? At the minute I don't really hate it here, I just feel like I could enjoy myself better elsewhere. Don't worry if you don't want to answer that question, because I know that's quite a difficult question with no clear answer

If you couldn't stand being there any longer, then that's a sign you should drop out. The amount of time and money spent on your degree means you want to be satisfied with your time there.

It is a hard question, but I think it is only something you can answer yourself.
Reply 10
Original post by Boople
I can understand that. So you're pretty sure then?

Yep. If you know you're not going to be happy staying there then don't wait too long to leave. If you don't think the university will enable you to bring the best out of you then search for other options. Hopefully Nottingham or UEA will accept me onto their foundation year course for this year. Good luck, hope you come to a decision :smile:
Reply 11
If you couldn't stand being there any longer, then that's a sign you should drop out. The amount of time and money spent on your degree means you want to be satisfied with your time there.

It is a hard question, but I think it is only something you can answer yourself.

My feeling at the minute is that I just kinda wish I was at a different university. But I definitely agree that only I can judge whether that feeling is strong enough for it to be right for me to withdraw. I'll see how it goes. Thank you so much for all your help!
Reply 12
Original post by Goeke
Yep. If you know you're not going to be happy staying there then don't wait too long to leave. If you don't think the university will enable you to bring the best out of you then search for other options. Hopefully Nottingham or UEA will accept me onto their foundation year course for this year. Good luck, hope you come to a decision :smile:

Thank you! I hope you manage to get onto one of the courses you aiming for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending