The Student Room Group

what imformation should you give to paramedics

so if a paramedic asked for some of your details what would u do
Give them any information you have, at least as it pertains to whatever medical emergency they're attending.

Presumably this is about what drugs and alcohol you have consumed, in which case you should always tell them everything you can, including descriptions of the appearance of any drugs or if any alcohol you had tasted unusual or different. They aren't the police, they don't care what you took from a legal standpoint, they care what you took so they can prevent it from killing you (or prevent something they give you interacting with it and killing you).
Reply 2
Sometimes paramedics are nice but ask you some annoying questions
Reply 3
Original post by angel shaw

But they only ask annoying questions if they need to. They see a lot of patients, and so the novelty would wear off very quickly if they were doing it just for fun. It's also a very busy service, and there's always someone else to get to - if they didn't have to ask the questions they wouldn't, so they can go from the silly teenager who's drunk too much to the elderly lady who's been on the bathroom floor for 12 hours and can't get themselves up, or the car accident, or the baby in cardiac arrest. But they can't help the people who need it, because they need to know the answers from you and you won't tell them.

Those pesky paramedics inconveniencing you while they attend an emergency call! How dare they.
Reply 5
so if a paramedic asked for some of your details what would u do

Any medical conditions or medications and why they are there (what issue you are having). They'll ask you if they need to know anything else.
Reply 6
If they attend to a pedestrian accident and your injured what would they actually do
If they attend to a pedestrian accident and your injured what would they actually do

Depends on the injuries.
Reply 8

First they would check for danger - this may mean it takes a few minutes for them to get out of the ambulance, as they may need to don PPE (high viz, helmet, stab vest etc) if required.
If the police or water fairies are already on scene, they would speak to them to get an idea of the situation.
Then they would check if the casualty is responding, by talking to them. If not, they would check the patient's airway, breathing and circulation before possibly commencing CPR. If they are responding, they may ask more questions before doing further checks.
Depending on the injuries, they may need to call for further resources (another ambulance, a trauma team etc) or may need to request police/fire brigade if they weren't already there.
They will do checks on your breathing (which may be done without you knowing), your pulse, your oxygen level, your blood pressure, blood sugar, GCS, shine a torch in your eyes, ask about any pain, and possibly do an ECG. They would asses the injury and provide treatment or stabilisation. They would provide pain relief if required.

If pain relief or other medication is required, they will need to know if you've had alcohol or drugs, if you've been diving, if you have any allergies, what other medications you've taken, if you have any other medical conditions, and loads of other things.

They may be able to discharge you on scene, or you may need to go to hospital/GP/pharmacy for further treatment.
Reply 9
Yeah but what if I didn't want to go in a ambulance. But they i have to. So then I run away
Yeah but what if I didn't want to go in a ambulance. But they i have to. So then I run away

they cant force you but generally its only in your best interest to go in. also technically i dont think they can leave that job until they have made sure your ok. so by running away your waisting their time. and if your ran away they may likely need to call thd police which means your the waisting police time too...
Reply 11

Then they've got a patient who was in a serious incident and is now displaying irrational behaviour.

Why wouldn't you want to go?

Paramedics will only advise you go if they think you need to. They can't force you to (although they might call the police to help if they feel you are mentally unstable for any reason- for your own protection).
The medical service only care about making sure people are well. It's in your best interest to take their advice.
Reply 13
Oh maybe they are nice. What if I needed the toilet but I'm in ambulance.
Oh maybe they are nice. What if I needed the toilet but I'm in ambulance.

Well I'm pretty sure ambulances don't have toilets so you'd either have to hold it or go without a toilet...
Reply 15
Oh and did I mention that if I told them about my school nurse
This thread is becoming incredibly bizarre.

Quick Reply

Latest