The Student Room Group

Nursing in Wales or Scotland + Maintenance loan

Hi, I hope you can help, I'm getting really confused, My daughter is looking at starting a Child Nursing Degree next year, and is currently looking at several possible unis, In England, Scotland and Wales. We live in England.
All the various funding permutations are so confusing. If she studies in England, it looks like she would be eligible for the full £9200 fees loan, plus a maintenance loan of £8430.
If she studies in Wales she doesn't have any fees to pay, plus (I think) she would get a £3634 bursary (plus £84 a week Extra Week allowance for each week over 30 weeks the course runs) and a £3030 loan. Totalling about £7800 - £8017 maintenance for a 42-46 week course. All dependent on her promising to work in NHS Wales for two years after graduation.
If she goes to Scotland then she has to get the full fees loan, but as for the rest of it, I can't work it out, They mentioned a £2000 bursary when we went to the open day, but I can't find any mention of that on any website. The SAAS talks about a £6578 bursary, but I don't she would be eligible for that because we live in England. Would it be the same £8430 as any English uni, applied for through SFE?

Please could someone break down exactly what she would be eligible for in each scenario? And who would she apply to? We're most concerned about money for rent, food and day to day living. I'm disabled, my husband is my carer and we and will not be able to help out at all.

Thanks.
Original post by Ceirdwyn
Hi, I hope you can help, I'm getting really confused, My daughter is looking at starting a Child Nursing Degree next year, and is currently looking at several possible unis, In England, Scotland and Wales. We live in England.
All the various funding permutations are so confusing. If she studies in England, it looks like she would be eligible for the full £9200 fees loan, plus a maintenance loan of £8430.
If she studies in Wales she doesn't have any fees to pay, plus (I think) she would get a £3634 bursary (plus £84 a week Extra Week allowance for each week over 30 weeks the course runs) and a £3030 loan. Totalling about £7800 - £8017 maintenance for a 42-46 week course. All dependent on her promising to work in NHS Wales for two years after graduation.
If she goes to Scotland then she has to get the full fees loan, but as for the rest of it, I can't work it out, They mentioned a £2000 bursary when we went to the open day, but I can't find any mention of that on any website. The SAAS talks about a £6578 bursary, but I don't she would be eligible for that because we live in England. Would it be the same £8430 as any English uni, applied for through SFE?

Please could someone break down exactly what she would be eligible for in each scenario? And who would she apply to? We're most concerned about money for rent, food and day to day living. I'm disabled, my husband is my carer and we and will not be able to help out at all.

Thanks.

Hi Ceirdwyn,

If your daughter is ordinarily resident in England she would apply to Student Finance England (SFE) for funding.

If she studies in England or Scotland then she is entitled to the full student support package from SFE i.e Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and any relevant grants. Using the Student Finance Calculator may be of some help in gauging the level of support available.

She is entitled to the same funding if she studies in Wales and doesn't give the 2 year commitment.

If she does give the commitment she would be entitled to the NHS rate of Maintenance Loan (if not living at home this is £2,324 in 2017/18) and NHS Bursary/Fees.

It may be worth checking the websites of prospective universities/colleges as they may have bursaries or scholarships that she would be able to apply for.

Regards,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending