The Student Room Group

Some questions for unattractive people

How do you cope with being ugly? When I say ugly I mean like never had a boyfriend or never been kissed at a certain age, have face flaws such as big nose or ears(what i have), double chin, etc.

I have nothing against other ugly people by the way, I'm not trying to be mean or offensive because I'm ugly myself. I just want to know people's ways of getting over it and accepting it.

I can't get over how I look and it makes me feel suicidal, so I posted a question on here before asking about free cosmetic surgery but apparently if you try to get cosmetic surgery for free on the NHS they won't offer it to you any way.......but nobody has thousands of pounds for surgery and it takes years to save up so it looks like I'll have to learn to deal with looking like this until I can pay. So finding that out ruined my day.

So, how do you cope? Ive tried some of these things..... "faking confidence" and it turned out everybody thought I was Annoying so that method didn't work for me. Although if I'm in a small group of people I'll try to talk.....but they usually just ignore me or pretend to be interested. I'm trying to grow my hair and lose weight. I also hide my ears with my hair Because their big but I still look awful.
I'm also waiting for an appointment to talk about my problems there.

Also, is there any unattractive people on here that have a boyfriend/girlfriend? If so what age were you and how did you get somebody to like you? I'm asking that because the main reason I hate my appearance is because I'm terrified no one will ever love me and I'll still be a virgin in my 40s.

Is there anybody who used to be unattractive but now isn't (without needing surgery) If so how?

So those are my questions . Again I'm not trying to be rude, im posting this on here because I have nobody in real life to talk to about it until my appointment comes so....if you don't understand or don't have any genuine advice don't reply please. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iasfuidtd
How do you cope with being ugly? When I say ugly I mean like never had a boyfriend or never been kissed at a certain age, have face flaws such as big nose or ears(what i have), double chin, etc.

I have nothing against other ugly people by the way, I'm not trying to be mean or offensive because I'm ugly myself. I just want to know people's ways of getting over it and accepting it.

I can't get over how I look and it makes me feel suicidal, so I posted a question on here before asking about free cosmetic surgery but apparently if you try to get cosmetic surgery for free on the NHS they won't offer it to you any way.......but nobody has thousands of pounds for surgery and it takes years to save up so it looks like I'll have to learn to deal with looking like this until I can pay. So finding that out ruined my day.

So, how do you cope? Ive tried some of these things..... "faking confidence" and it turned out everybody thought I was Annoying so that method didn't work for me. Although if I'm in a small group of people I'll try to talk.....but they usually just ignore me or pretend to be interested. I'm trying to grow my hair and lose weight. I also hide my ears with my hair Because their big but I still look awful.

Also, is there any unattractive people on here that have a boyfriend/girlfriend? If so what age were you and how did you get somebody to like you? I'm asking that because the main reason I hate my appearance is because I'm terrified no one will ever love me and I'll still be a virgin in my 40s.

Is there anybody who used to be unattractive but now isn't (without needing surgery) If so how?

So those are my questions . Again I'm not trying to be rude, im posting this on here because I have nobody in real life to talk to about it until my appointment comes so....if you don't understand or don't have any genuine advice don't reply please. Thanks

I would call myself ugly bc I have super spotty skin which has never calmed down and I’ve tried so many things, I’m also trying to lose weight and trying to see if that will help. I’ve never had a boyfriend or anything either and I’m 16. It probably doesn’t help that my self-esteem/confidence is next to nothing. I don’t have much advice but am looking for some too. Sorry :/
'confidence' can only get u so far if ur truly ugly.
People like you make me annoyed. I haven't kissed a girl nor have a ever had a girlfriend but that doesn't make me ugly. You know very well yourself that you're not ugly and to be ugly even your parents wouldn't love you so I suggest you call yourself beautiful from now on and give me a kiss. if you want for the latter. and yes you do look pretty

having a nice body helps
cant help but feel you think you're ugly when in reality you're not-a big nose, big ears doesn't make some1 ugly it just makes them a person with a big nose,big ears. a boost in confidence is needed!-atleast that's what I think
Reply 5
Original post by angrypoliceman
having a nice body helps
cant help but feel you think you're ugly when in reality you're not-a big nose, big ears doesn't make some1 ugly it just makes them a person with a big nose,big ears. a boost in confidence is needed!-atleast that's what I think

I'm definitely ugly. I don't have a nice body at all
I just don't care, I have better things to care about like my grades
I'm definitely ugly. I don't have a nice body at all

get one then!
you cant change your face but you can change your body
get to the gym/diet-whatever your goal is ; itll boost your confidence too- I recommend it
Being ugly means different things to different people eg I know different people that are into ‘ugly’ things like big ears or spotty skin (don’t ask why cos it’s my friends and I don’t know ) but personally thing I used to think were ugly I know find slightly attractive or I just don’t care about . So i think we’re all ugly in some ways to certain people and that’s ok.
I'm 17, not particularly attractive due to my height and just general appearance and I cope by changing my way of thinking. A few months ago I was in a similar situation to you; I'd get really depressed about never being able to find a girlfriend and such. I started talking to a girl who I became friends with and she didn't care about what anyone thought about her. Throughout out friendship she'd always poke fun at my deep insecurities and I had enough, so I just left her a message saying I didn't want to be friends and she replied "ok I don't care". I got really mad for about an hour or two, we were friends for half a year and she didn't even care that she'd never talk to me again, I felt as though she needed to care about what I thought. The lesson I learnt from this is not that you should not become friends with anyone, but that I shouldn't get mad at what people think, whether it be that they don't care that I'm not their friend anymore or that I'm ugly etc.
Some other things I did was to stop using facebook etc because a lot of the negativity about my appearance was coming from there (seeing people make constant jokes about height, girls saying they'd never date anyone below 6ft etc). By doing stuff like that, I removed a lot of sources of negativity from my life.
After that, I had a long thought about what I wanted to do in life, not necessarily in the long term such as becoming a lawyer, just things that I wanted to do like building a shelter in the forest where I could sleep if I wanted, to learn to live in the wilderness, to learn how to speak Russian or to get into a good university (I'm in year 13).
Alongside those things I also started eating healthily, cycling for at least half an hour each day, going to the gym, learning how to be fashionable and to get a good haircut and glasses so I look better than before. I've also tried to become more confident; instead of being the shy kid who never says anything, I'll try to take a leading role in things such as stuff in school or to be more active such as volunteering in a museum. Your confidence can't be faked, it has to be derived from experiences and your abilities (if that makes sense).
TLDR: Basically, I learnt not to care about how people feel about me (if they're not important to me, such as random people at school), I blocked out most of the negative things in my life, found ways to be happy by thinking about my interests and how I can do those more often, so that my happiness doesn't depend on whether I have a gf or not, but instead it depends on what I can do by myself/with my friends, and then I improved what I could about myself by being proactive.
I hope this helps a bit, I don't really know if I've missed anything out but I think I've got my main message across.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by angrypoliceman
get one then!
you cant change your face but you can change your body
get to the gym/diet-whatever your goal is ; itll boost your confidence too- I recommend it

You can change your face, quite dramatically in fact. You can change almost anything you want.

Even a huge number of things can be done for aging which is one of the hardest things to correct. But you wouldn't think so, because people are too obsessed with scam creams that do nothing.

Unless your eyes are too close together, then there's nothing you can do lol.
I cope alright, I just revise to get good grades lol don't really care tbh :smile:
I cope by crying myself to sleep at night.
Reply 13
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I cope by crying myself to sleep at night.

Me too
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by RockyDennis
You can change your face, quite dramatically in fact. You can change almost anything you want.

Even a huge number of things can be done for aging which is one of the hardest things to correct. But you wouldn't think so, because people are too obsessed with scam creams that do nothing.

Unless your eyes are too close together, then there's nothing you can do lol.

You can't change your face....all you can really do is get skin products like you mentioned but you can't change ugly features😔
I don't think they cope very well. All you see online is people complaining about being single and thinking they'll die alone.
Reply 16
I would rather be intelligent than beautiful.
Reply 17
Original post by Heyok
I would rather be intelligent than beautiful.

I wish I could say the same thing....I'm not intelligent at all though
You can't change your face....all you can really do is get skin products like you mentioned but you can't change ugly features😔

Of course you can, you can change almost any feature unless your eyes are too close together. There's very little you can't change.
If that's you in your picture, I'd say you look kinda cute

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending