The Student Room Group

TOASTIE's toil for 8s!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toastiekid
Mandarin is pretty awesome- we’re definitely a minority in the school but it’s good as we have a really small class (like just about 20ppl) where we have a lot of banter 😂
I used to struggle with maths from about year 7-9, I was in one of the two top sets (they’re exact same ability) but I was really struggling to get the grades the rest of the class were getting. I did maths every day over the summer from year nine to ten! I didn’t do much, max ten mins from my textbook improving my speed and accuracy at factorising etc which completely turned around my grade! At the beginning of year 10 I got a 6 in my baseline assessment (sounds bad but it was one of the highest in my year) and since then I’ve made sure I always understood the work in class and completed the extension work. Also if there’s an area I know I’m bad at (e.g: trig graphs!) then I will practise them first in my 9-1 textbook, then my grade 9 targeted textbook. But as the grade 9 textbook is seriously difficult I often go to my teacher at lunch or after school to ask how to do problems. Don’t worry about annoying them, [in my case] the teacher loves maths and is happy to help solve problems! In the end, they do want you to get the best grade😆😆
Good luck and please let me know if you need any help with maths!
Toastiekid X

thank you for your advice for maths! i should probably start practicing things in maths but i ALWAYS procrastinate *oops*

i think japanese has quite a small class too!
but saying that, my spanish class is TINY - they have two top sets for spanish and my set has around 15 people in it which is great because the environment is so chill and we can have a bit of banter and we have a great teacher so hopefully i can get a 9 in this subject!!! 🤞🏼
They’re the grades i need for the courses I want to do at one of the sixth forms I’m applying to! I gotta aim high if I want to get a place😆😆
I guess make sure you understand everything- if you don’t understand say preparing a pure dry salt in chemistry there will probably be a question where you’ve gotta apply your previous knowledge to get the answer. So basically revise everything, if you don’t understand it ask a friend or your teacher to explain it; I suck at trying to learn stuff from the textbook, I’ve got to have someone explain it or I forget. Also do loads of practise questions! There are now quite a lot of questions made for people to prepare for the new gcses so use them! You can then get used to the way you need to phrase answers and vocab you need to use.
Hope this helps! If you have any questions let me know!
Toastiekid x

Hey!
Your gyg thread is AMAZING!!!!!! Lovin it!!!!!
How do we access the questions for the new gcse? Xxxxx thank you!:biggrin:
Original post by A.N123
Hey!
Your gyg thread is AMAZING!!!!!! Lovin it!!!!!
How do we access the questions for the new gcse? Xxxxx thank you!:biggrin:

Do mean practise questions? You can buy a textbook or look on the website of the exam board and subject you’re doing to get specimen papers.
Hope this is helpful!
They’re the grades i need for the courses I want to do at one of the sixth forms I’m applying to! I gotta aim high if I want to get a place😆😆
I guess make sure you understand everything- if you don’t understand say preparing a pure dry salt in chemistry there will probably be a question where you’ve gotta apply your previous knowledge to get the answer. So basically revise everything, if you don’t understand it ask a friend or your teacher to explain it; I suck at trying to learn stuff from the textbook, I’ve got to have someone explain it or I forget. Also do loads of practise questions! There are now quite a lot of questions made for people to prepare for the new gcses so use them! You can then get used to the way you need to phrase answers and vocab you need to use.
Hope this helps! If you have any questions let me know!
Toastiekid x

Thank-you! x
Original post by clouddbubbles
thank you for your advice for maths! i should probably start practicing things in maths but i ALWAYS procrastinate *oops*

i think japanese has quite a small class too!
but saying that, my spanish class is TINY - they have two top sets for spanish and my set has around 15 people in it which is great because the environment is so chill and we can have a bit of banter and we have a great teacher so hopefully i can get a 9 in this subject!!! 🤞🏼

Wow that’s so small! My smallest class (music) has 15 and my largest (maths) has 30! We have more than half our year taking Spanish (around 120) about 50 taking French 20 taking mandarin and the other 30 or so either do Latin or no language. Yeah procrastination is a big issue for me...I have a maths and English exam on Monday 😂
Wow that’s so small! My smallest class (music) has 15 and my largest (maths) has 30! We have more than half our year taking Spanish (around 120) about 50 taking French 20 taking mandarin and the other 30 or so either do Latin or no language. Yeah procrastination is a big issue for me...I have a maths and English exam on Monday 😂

obviously we have sets for all our languages as even though there’s at least half the year taking spanish, my class is still small 🤷🏼*♀️

my gcse pe class (one of 4 sets) has only 18 students in it and only 6 of them are girls so i am in the minority :frown:

i have no exams in the immediate future (only in a few weeks) so it’s even harder for me not to procrastinate! but so far today i’ve had a productive day 😂
Original post by streetdude28
Thank-you! x

no problem:banana:
FUNDAY FRIDAY
Today's not over yet but I've done more today then the rest of the week.
Here's what I did::wavey:
-> woke up at 8am (an event unlikely to take place again till school starts:biggrin:)
-> helped family move paintings from house to car (back and forth like a pack mule)
-> played tennis for an hour (My standard has dropped so much as I haven't played in a week!)
-> had a piano lesson (I hadn't practised, it was pretty embarrassing)
-> met more family for lunch (made the mistake of ordering a salad- am currently hungry:huff:)
-> covered not one but all my maths topics in under an hour (shook. though I will do more practise qs later)
-> did some Macbeth notes on the key themes in the play (they were so messy!)

And I'm currently looking forward to::hi:
-> physics homework (hope you realised I'm kidding)
-> NANDO's (tonight.)
-> lunch with family friends (ew ew ew don't want to go but I feel obliged to)
-> Frankenstein notes (yes I'll be reading my boy Frankie tonight, lit lit lit:headfire:)
-> Practising new pieces on piano (a schertzando in D, spelt wrong, by Beethoven) and guitar ( Valerie, Amy Winehouse):headbang:

I'm feeling a lot better about the amount of work I need to do over the weekend, today has been a positive and productive day- which is a miracle given I was awake till 2am last night! (IT WAS TSR's FAULT, too many interesting threads:excited:)
Also completely random but I just discovered piano music for Superheroes by the Script so...off to learn that!
Hope you guys all have a nice evening, I plan to finish Gilmore girls season 7 by Sunday!
TOASTIEKID
27/10/17
also has anyone got any good DIY halloween costume ideas? (THE PARTY IS TOMORROW AND I KNOW I'M LAST MINUTE)
I have a clown wig, suspenders, snazaroo face paint and I don't own any make-up.
Do mean practise questions? You can buy a textbook or look on the website of the exam board and subject you’re doing to get specimen papers.
Hope this is helpful!

Oh yes i did mean practise questions, must have missed out the word itself! Thank you xxx:biggrin:
Original post by A.N123
Oh yes i did mean practise questions, must have missed out the word itself! Thank you xxx:biggrin:

haha no problem! Which subjects are you doing? X
haha no problem! Which subjects are you doing? X

Other than the core subjects and triple science im taking history, drama and french. Also rs since its compulsory at my school Xxxx
Wow your predicted grades are amazing! A 9 in maths!! Good luck for this year (a little late but i think we all need it after Michael Gove crashed his way through the GCSE spec)
Also can we join forces and defeat the beast that is physics? It really needs to be put back in its place after gloating about the dreaded equations we're supposed to commit to memory:unimpressed:
Original post by troubletracking
Wow your predicted grades are amazing! A 9 in maths!! Good luck for this year (a little late but i think we all need it after Michael Gove crashed his way through the GCSE spec)
Also can we join forces and defeat the beast that is physics? It really needs to be put back in its place after gloating about the dreaded equations we're supposed to commit to memory:unimpressed:

Thank you! and yes, I will join the fight against Physics :biggrin: as I need an 8/9 in physics to study the maths course I want to do at one of the sixth forms I'm applying to! And one of the other sixth forms has Physics as a compulsory subject:s-smilie: which I don't mind as I think I'll enjoy it more with better teachers (who like the subject)
I'm guessing you dislike physics but which subject do you enjoy the most? You can probably tell I enjoy maths (though my teacher is very annoying) but I also have a hilarious English teacher!
good luck x
Original post by A.N123
Other than the core subjects and triple science im taking history, drama and french. Also rs since its compulsory at my school Xxxx

That's a nice mix, how's drama? I wanted to take it (and become an Oscar winning actress) but I realised I'm too quiet to succeed in it- so I do music! Which topics are you doing in history? I'm (EDEXCEL) and doing Medicine through time, British sector of the western front, Weimar Germany, The Cold war and Elizabethan England.:frown:
well done on your predicted grades!
how do you revise for science? i'm stuck at grade 7s and 6s even though my target is an 8
QUICK UPDATE (pre-work)
Yesterday was busyyyy, I didn't get any work done because I went to a family friends house then to the halloween party. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it (given I am normally pretty awkward in social situations) and I made conversation with the people I didn't know along with the people I did. We played Cards against humanity (never played before), it was so funny and a bonus was I won:aetsch: I managed to sort out my outfit (wearing a torn up Metallica tee with jeans and 'zombie makeup') and everyone liked it:ahee:
Now I've gotta cram Maths and English for the exams tomorrow. I've checked and I've got Maths paper 2 first then Lit paper 1. I'm pleased with the order as we have an hour (or so) in between the exams where I think (and hope) we'll be allowed to revise!
Wish me luck, I'm off to binge watch Mr Bruff and work solidly through the maths textbook!:bawling:
TOASTIEKID
29/10/17
also don't forget to set your clocks back 1 hour!
Thank you! and yes, I will join the fight against Physics :biggrin: as I need an 8/9 in physics to study the maths course I want to do at one of the sixth forms I'm applying to! And one of the other sixth forms has Physics as a compulsory subject:s-smilie: which I don't mind as I think I'll enjoy it more with better teachers (who like the subject)
I'm guessing you dislike physics but which subject do you enjoy the most? You can probably tell I enjoy maths (though my teacher is very annoying) but I also have a hilarious English teacher!
good luck x

A 8/9 in physics- gosh, that makes me dizzy to think about, though I'm sure your passion in maths might help you out there a bit (..maybe?). My favourite subject is probably English, though both A Christmas Carol and Macbeth are driving me nuts at the moment- ACC has to be the blandest thing I've ever come across.
Original post by troubletracking
A 8/9 in physics- gosh, that makes me dizzy to think about, though I'm sure your passion in maths might help you out there a bit (..maybe?). My favourite subject is probably English, though both A Christmas Carol and Macbeth are driving me nuts at the moment- ACC has to be the blandest thing I've ever come across.

I used to love English but I've gone off it since GCSEs began, maybe because we just read the same books over and over and over and over again. I'm doing Macbeth as well (woo-not) which I completely lost my confidence over in December last year (I got a 4 in my end of term test) which kinda made me despise Macbeth (though I did- after tonnes of work- make up for it in my End of year) it's a bit boring though. just a little bit. I'm also doing Frankenstein (which I like!) and Pigeon English (which is the sweetest book ever!) I'm so glad I'm not doing a Christmas carol (no offence)
Which books do you like reading (for pleasure)?
For me: Harry Potter, Cassandra clare, Tom Hoyle- actually there are too many!
I've also been reading some books for history (wider reading yay) like alone in Berlin, Primo Levi's books, Anne Frank and a really good fiction book called the runner.
Original post by laurawatt
well done on your predicted grades!
how do you revise for science? i'm stuck at grade 7s and 6s even though my target is an 8

I think I mentioned this somewhere above:biggrin: but I tend to first make sure I actually understand the topic in class (for me, if I don't get it then, I know it'll take me a while to understand it I see you electrolysis)
I have made flashcards summarising each topic and (when I can be bothered) I'll make huge mind maps for say a chapter of the textbook and I'll stick it up on my wall. Then I'll be reading it pretty much every day so (fingers crossed) it'll be easier to remember it in the exam.
Also practise questions. DO THEM. lots. Not every day (that's insane and is probably not so great for your mental health) but if I know I have an exam then I will do practise questions on the topics I know will come up. I didn't bother so much on my last science exam (last week) and believe me it didn't go so well. (still awaiting results, this is my opinion)
Good luck this year:bumps: I'm sure you'll do brilliantly!
I used to love English but I've gone off it since GCSEs began
I'm so glad I'm not doing a Christmas carol (no offence)
Which books do you like reading (for pleasure)?
For me: Harry Potter, Cassandra clare, Tom Hoyle- actually there are too many.

Same, I used to love reading books but A Christmas carol is so mind numbingly boring.

Yay Harry Potter and the shadow hunter series ! I read the whole series over the summer and I loved them - I always imagine Isabelle as having blond hair though and I don't know why :lol:

And thank you for your post above and answering my questions!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending