The Student Room Group

How many references are you allowed to have on UCAS?

Hi,

I'm a yank applying to some British universities. Just wondering how many references you can add on UCAS. In the US, I believe you can add up to 4 but I wasn't sure about over there.

Thanks!
Original post by icehockeyolive
Hi,

I'm a yank applying to some British universities. Just wondering how many references you can add on UCAS. In the US, I believe you can add up to 4 but I wasn't sure about over there.

Thanks!

What exactly do you mean by references? Do you mean references from teachers about yourself and your achievements? Or do you mean references to authors and academic research?
Original post by icehockeyolive
Hi,

Thanks!

The UCAS application has a single reference (ut is common in uk schools for a single teacher to combine comments from a number of subject teachers with general comments about the student and the school).

You also have a single personal statement.

Your application gets sent to all 5 choices with identical content. Anything on top of that you have to send directly to universities after UCAS process your application.
Hi there,

You just need the one reference from a selected teacher. They usually talk to all your other teachers so it's not completely biased.

I also asked my manager to write a statement for university because teachers don't know everything about me - I'm not that open lol. I gave the statement to my teacher, whether he included it I'm not sure.

Kind Regards

Lewis xxx
Original post by Lewis Calvert
Hi there,

You just need the one reference from a selected teacher. They usually talk to all your other teachers so it's not completely biased.

I also asked my manager to write a statement for university because teachers don't know everything about me - I'm not that open lol. I gave the statement to my teacher, whether he included it I'm not sure.

Kind Regards

Lewis xxx

So were you able to (kind of) have two if your teacher included your manager's statement?
Original post by tanya.chichi
So were you able to (kind of) have two if your teacher included your manager's statement?

The user you quoted hasn't been active since June so you're unlikely to get a response from them. If you have queries like this in future you're more likely to get a reply by starting a new thread, rather than bumping an old one :smile:

To answer your question, whether your teacher is willing to include comments from a non-academic source is really at their discretion, and is something you would need to discuss with them on an individual basis.*
UCAS has one reference this is generally from a teacher / tutor or an employer ...

IIRC some pre-registration health professional courses seek a second reference - this is a legacy of NMAS and given the difficulties that various health professions have had with those with dubious intentions getting in ...

quantity of references ( vs quality) / recommendation and the rank / position / social standing of the referree have no bearing in UK university admissions ...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Hey,

I am currently in my final year of school and the school I am in, does not have such good teachers who are fit to write a good reference letter for me. Is it beneficial for me to instead, get the reference by some teacher who taught me two years ago? Although that teacher just taught me for a year, he is very professional and having read some of his reference letters, I am sure he will do mine justice. But I am worried since he just taught me for a year and doesn't teach anymore, will it be a smart thing to do?

Regards.
Original post by Magsmsa
Hey,

I am currently in my final year of school and the school I am in, does not have such good teachers who are fit to write a good reference letter for me. Is it beneficial for me to instead, get the reference by some teacher who taught me two years ago? Although that teacher just taught me for a year, he is very professional and having read some of his reference letters, I am sure he will do mine justice. But I am worried since he just taught me for a year and doesn't teach anymore, will it be a smart thing to do?

Regards.

You could speak to him and ask if he would be willing to provide you with a reference - but he may well still want some input and information from your current teachers.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
You could speak to him and ask if he would be willing to provide you with a reference - but he may well still want some input and information from your current teachers.

He is eager to do it. But I did not see more than one option for an LOR on UCAS.
Original post by Magsmsa
He is eager to do it. But I did not see more than one option for an LOR on UCAS.

If you applied through a centre then there’s no option. You can only decide on your referee if you apply as an individual
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
If you applied through a centre then there’s no option. You can only decide on your referee if you apply as an individual

Really appreciating all your assistance.

I am applying as an individual. Can I nominate two people for the LOR?
And if yes, where do I find the option to do so?

Thank you so much!!
Original post by Magsmsa
Really appreciating all your assistance.

I am applying as an individual. Can I nominate two people for the LOR?
And if yes, where do I find the option to do so?

Thank you so much!!

If you're applying as an individual then you can see what you can add about your referee - a single person.

If your referee wants information/a reference from your other teachers then that information/reference needs to be collected directly and whoever is your referee will then collate that into the reference that is sent to UCAS.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
If you're applying as an individual then you can see what you can add about your referee - a single person.

If your referee wants information/a reference from your other teachers then that information/reference needs to be collected directly and whoever is your referee will then collate that into the reference that is sent to UCAS.

So do you think it puts me in any downside if I ask a teacher who taught me two years ago to be my referee than someone who is teaching me currently?
Original post by Magsmsa
So do you think it puts me in any downside if I ask a teacher who taught me two years ago to be my referee than someone who is teaching me currently?

It might - your referee will state when they taught you - universities might question why your referee is someone not from your school.

As I said - I doubt a teacher who taught you two years ago would be happy to provide a reference and predictions without speaking to your current teachers.

If your universities aren't happy then they are well within their rights to request a second reference from your school directly.

Rather than talking round in circles why don't you SPEAK to the teacher you want as a referee and ask his advice about what he is willing to provide.
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
It might - your referee will state when they taught you - universities might question why your referee is someone not from your school.

As I said - I doubt a teacher who taught you two years ago would be happy to provide a reference and predictions without speaking to your current teachers.

If your universities aren't happy then they are well within their rights to request a second reference from your school directly.

Rather than talking round in circles why don't you SPEAK to the teacher you want as a referee and ask his advice about what he is willing to provide.

Thanks so much for your valuable advise!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending