The Student Room Group

Student Finance England, Teacher training funding

Hi,

I need some help/advice!

I can't seem to find clear answers anywhere on the internet, so could someone who has personally (or knows someone who has) gone through these stages tell me how the Student Finance funding works for someone in this situation.

I have a Bachelor's degree in the subject that I now want to teach, but the subject (Psychology) isn't eligible for bursary, so the only option I have is student finance.

Now, my question is, can I get student finance for teacher training if I have already used it for my Bachelors? Is that classed as an undergrad loan or a postgrad loan?

If so, does this consist of a tuition loan AND maintenance loan or is it just the postgraduate lump loan (which barely covers the cost of the tuition and leaves nothing to live on)

Also, is the loan based on my parents income?
I haven't lived with my parents since starting uni in 2014, didn't go home for summer or anything and they didn't support me financially, I supported myself with a part time job and my maintenance loan.

I'd really appreciate some clarity on this as I really want to be able to teach, but I will flat out not be able to afford to live without some sort of loan.

Thanks in advance!
x
Original post by TIKKA
Hi,

I need some help/advice!

I can't seem to find clear answers anywhere on the internet, so could someone who has personally (or knows someone who has) gone through these stages tell me how the Student Finance funding works for someone in this situation.

I have a Bachelor's degree in the subject that I now want to teach, but the subject (Psychology) isn't eligible for bursary, so the only option I have is student finance.

Now, my question is, can I get student finance for teacher training if I have already used it for my Bachelors? Is that classed as an undergrad loan or a postgrad loan?

If so, does this consist of a tuition loan AND maintenance loan or is it just the postgraduate lump loan (which barely covers the cost of the tuition and leaves nothing to live on)

Also, is the loan based on my parents income?
I haven't lived with my parents since starting uni in 2014, didn't go home for summer or anything and they didn't support me financially, I supported myself with a part time job and my maintenance loan.

I'd really appreciate some clarity on this as I really want to be able to teach, but I will flat out not be able to afford to live without some sort of loan.

Thanks in advance!
x

Hi TIKKA,

I just have a couple of questions in order to help you further.

Are you planning on doing a PGCE/ITT course?

Do you know how long the course will be in years?

Thanks,

John.
Reply 2
Original post by John B SFE
Hi TIKKA,

I just have a couple of questions in order to help you further.

Are you planning on doing a PGCE/ITT course?

Do you know how long the course will be in years?

Thanks,

John.

Hi,

The course I'm considering is a 1 year PGCE

Original post by TIKKA
Hi,

The course I'm considering is a 1 year PGCE

Hi TIKKA,

You will be pleased to know that PGCE courses are exempt from the Equivalent Qualification and previous study rules, if it is a teacher training course which last 2 years or less and you do not already have Qualified Teacher Status QTS.

This includes if the customer already holds a Masters qualification. They will still remain eligible to receive full funding for a PGCE as long as they don't already hold QTS.

If you are under 25 years old at the start of your course, not married with no dependant children, you would still be considered dependant on your parents and we would expect them to support your application by providing the household income.

Regards Rona
Reply 4
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi TIKKA,

You will be pleased to know that PGCE courses are exempt from the Equivalent Qualification and previous study rules, if it is a teacher training course which last 2 years or less and you do not already have Qualified Teacher Status QTS.

This includes if the customer already holds a Masters qualification. They will still remain eligible to receive full funding for a PGCE as long as they don't already hold QTS.

If you are under 25 years old at the start of your course, not married with no dependant children, you would still be considered dependant on your parents and we would expect them to support your application by providing the household income.

Regards Rona

Thanks for the reply :smile:

Not sure if you’ll have the answers but WHY is a PGCE still based on parents income?? I will be 23 by then and regarded an adult in every other aspect of life, I pay for everything myself, I support myself and live in a completely different city to my parents as I’m sure so many others do, and the masters loans aren’t means-tested... can you provide me with any explanation as to why this is the case?

Also, is there no way for SFE to take into consideration the fact that I could only afford uni because I could work alongside the measly £3000 I had at uni but from what I can gather I will not have time to work during my PGCE, how exactly does one survive on £3000 a year?

I’m sorry if my questions come across as angry - it is not with you just with a very unfair system. My parents will not (and why should they??) support me at age 23.

Thanks for any replies/advice x
Original post by TIKKA
Thanks for the reply :smile:

Not sure if you’ll have the answers but WHY is a PGCE still based on parents income?? I will be 23 by then and regarded an adult in every other aspect of life, I pay for everything myself, I support myself and live in a completely different city to my parents as I’m sure so many others do, and the masters loans aren’t means-tested... can you provide me with any explanation as to why this is the case?

Also, is there no way for SFE to take into consideration the fact that I could only afford uni because I could work alongside the measly £3000 I had at uni but from what I can gather I will not have time to work during my PGCE, how exactly does one survive on £3000 a year?

I’m sorry if my questions come across as angry - it is not with you just with a very unfair system. My parents will not (and why should they??) support me at age 23.

Thanks for any replies/advice x

Hi TIKKA,

PGCE/ITT courses are assessed the same as and undergraduate course and this is why it's still based on your parents financial details if you are under 25. A student can also be considered independent if they supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of study. The three years can include periods when they were:

In paid full-time employment

In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed

In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance

Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

The three years of self support do not need to be consecutive. However they do need to cover 3 years prior to the start of study.

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 6
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi TIKKA,

PGCE/ITT courses are assessed the same as and undergraduate course and this is why it's still based on your parents financial details if you are under 25. A student can also be considered independent if they supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of study. The three years can include periods when they were:

In paid full-time employment

In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed

In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance

Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

The three years of self support do not need to be consecutive. However they do need to cover 3 years prior to the start of study.

Thanks

Catherine

So if I have two years of full time and one year part time I won’t class as an independent student? 😫

I’m assuming SFE don’t make any exceptions?

Thanks
Original post by TIKKA
So if I have two years of full time and one year part time I won’t class as an independent student? 😫

I’m assuming SFE don’t make any exceptions?

Thanks

Hi TIKKA,

Evidence is processed on a case by case basis, if you send in your employment evidence with a covering letter we can assess this to see if you're eligible to be classed as independent.

Thanks

Catherine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending