The Student Room Group

On the road to 9s and A*A* Maths/FM

Hey

I'm currently in year 11 and my exams start in 3 months so I may as well start this thread now in order to monitor my progress and see if I get what I'm hoping for... the real intensity begins now

Completed Qualifications:

Spoiler

What I'd like to get this year:

Spoiler

Class tests:

Spoiler

Extra stuff:

Spoiler

What I want to do:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thekidwhogames
Hey

I'm currently in year 11 and my exams start in 3 months so I may as well start this thread now in order to monitor my progress and see if I get what I'm hoping for... the real intensity begins now

Spoiler

Spoiler

Class tests:

Spoiler

Extra stuff:

Spoiler

What I want to do:

Spoiler

Stress:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Watch out guys we have a bangout over here
Reply 3
The workload for the remaining 3 months will be excruciating but I think it'll be worth it following the more relaxed times in sixth form.

I don't know what subjects you'll be doing in sixth form, but it might be more stressful than year 11 man lol
Any tips on how to get a 9 in Maths?
I'm also in year 11 and I'm always like 1 or 2 marks off a 9 in tests :angry:

Maths at Cambridge? One of my choices for the future too :biggrin: I'm also considering Physics and Chemistry A level, plus Maths and Further Maths.

If you make a tag list be sure to add me! :h:
Original post by ozmo19
I don't know what subjects you'll be doing in sixth form, but it might be more stressful than year 11 man lol

That's completely true but I find revising subjects that I don't like really hard to be honest and plus 6 full subjects with double of them etc.
Original post by no real roots
Any tips on how to get a 9 in Maths?
I'm also in year 11 and I'm always like 1 or 2 marks off a 9 in tests :angry:

Maths at Cambridge? One of my choices for the future too :biggrin: I'm also considering Physics and Chemistry A level, plus Maths and Further Maths.

If you make a tag list be sure to add me! :h:

Practice, practice, practice.

To get a 9:
- learn all the content and complete mathswatch interactive questions
- complete CGP workbook + CGP grade 9 targeted workbook
- complete mathsgenie worksheets
- complete mathsmadeeasy worksheets (for extra practice)
- complete justmaths worksheets
- complete past papers (from both AQA/Edexcel)
- complete specimen/mock/practice papers (from both AQA/Edexcel)
- complete CrashMaths/Churchill/Grade 9 paper

That's overkill but good to ensure maximum grade! And thanks - good luck with that 9, I'm sure you'll get it!
Original post by Muzeah
Watch out guys we have a bangout over here

I mean this is thestudentroom whereby people want to bang out academics xD
Original post by ozmo19

He's doing a-levels already.
Reply 9
I'm guessing C1 is going to be your easiest exam this year.
Original post by AddQ7
I'm guessing C1 is going to be your easiest exam this year.

Either that or Computing (thank God the NEA is cancelled).
Reply 11
Either that or Computing (thank God the NEA is cancelled).

Well for me (OCR) it's not cancelled, but doesn't apply to the final grade.
Hey

Spoiler

Spoiler

Class tests:

Spoiler

Extra stuff:

Spoiler

What I want to do:

Spoiler

Stress:

Spoiler

I mean, you can fail half your GCSE subjects and Cambridge, Imperial probably wouldn't care. I believe a 6 in English is the only thing Imperial care about when it comes to GCSEs.

When you apply, you're probably gonna have to get 3A* at A Level for both and 1,1 in STEP for Cambridge and a good MAT score for Imperial. They prioritise Sixth form performance a lot more.

Obviously don't bomb your A Levels in case you change your mind about the uni or course; it's a just a lil FYI. :wink:
Original post by AddQ7
Well for me (OCR) it's not cancelled, but doesn't apply to the final grade.

I do OCR too - it doesn't count so my teacher said we shouldn't do it and focus on the theory.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
I mean, you can fail half your GCSE subjects and Cambridge, Imperial probably wouldn't care. I believe a 6 in English is the only thing Imperial care about when it comes to GCSEs.

When you apply, you're probably gonna have to get 3A* at A Level for both and 1,1 in STEP for Cambridge and a good MAT score for Imperial. They prioritise Sixth form performance a lot more.

Obviously don't bomb your A Levels in case you change your mind about the uni or course; it's a just a lil FYI. :wink:

Yeah that's true others have told me that GCSEs don't really matter for those unis but I'm not entirely 100% sure of which uni/course I will take hence my motivation to do well across the board (if I end up doing something else for example). Thanks for the advice!
Practice, practice, practice.

To get a 9:
- learn all the content and complete mathswatch interactive questions
- complete CGP workbook + CGP grade 9 targeted workbook
- complete mathsgenie worksheets
- complete mathsmadeeasy worksheets (for extra practice)
- complete justmaths worksheets
- complete past papers (from both AQA/Edexcel)
- complete specimen/mock/practice papers (from both AQA/Edexcel)
- complete CrashMaths/Churchill/Grade 9 paper

That's overkill but good to ensure maximum grade! And thanks - good luck with that 9, I'm sure you'll get it!

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 16
Jesus your grades are solid, if you don't get into Cambridge then i have absolutely no chance. :smile:
I found your maths break down to get a 9 really useful, could you do one on some other subjects like sciences and English?
Original post by Keslo
Jesus your grades are solid, if you don't get into Cambridge then i have absolutely no chance. :smile:
I found your maths break down to get a 9 really useful, could you do one on some other subjects like sciences and English?

Glad to be of help! I'll write some up for English and Science and reply with them again when I'm done. What exam boards do you do?
Reply 18
Glad to be of help! I'll write some up for English and Science and reply with them again when I'm done. What exam boards do you do?

I do AQA and am I am currently am sitting at a level 7. Maths is the only thing I am good at. :s
Geez man I'm envious of your work ethic! I'll be watching this thread, excited to see how the year goes for you! Well done on your progress so far! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending