The Student Room Group

Unite Students Fire Alarm

In the last four weeks we must have had at least fifteen fire alarms. No idea why as in the other half of the property there weren't any.

If they go off I just ignore them now which makes them redundant.
Original post by Bio 7
In the last four weeks we must have had at least fifteen fire alarms. No idea why as in the other half of the property there weren't any.

If they go off I just ignore them now which makes them redundant.

Make a complaint and ask why.

It is either an official alarm. Normally once a term or year.
A faulty alarm- Responsibility of Unite and make a complaint.
Students setting off the alarm- some idiots think its fun.

If you ignore them then thats your own risk.
This happened to me 2 years ago. The fire alarm was going off pretty much every day.

It was usually just due to people being careless. Almost always cooking something that produced a lot of smoke without switching the extractor fan on. Or even showering with the door open. They can even be set off by people spraying deodorant in their rooms! It's a huge pain in the arse, but it happens at university halls. The fire alarms are way too sensitive.
Reply 3
Original post by Minecraft27
This happened to me 2 years ago. The fire alarm was going off pretty much every day.

It was usually just due to people being careless. Almost always cooking something that produced a lot of smoke without switching the extractor fan on. Or even showering with the door open. They can even be set off by people spraying deodorant in their rooms! It's a huge pain in the arse, but it happens at university halls. The fire alarms are way too sensitive.

It's not good to have very sensitive alarms as people, like me, will just ignore them.
I hope you still got enough sleep though.
Original post by 999tigger
Make a complaint and ask why.

It is either an official alarm. Normally once a term or year.
A faulty alarm- Responsibility of Unite and make a complaint.
Students setting off the alarm- some idiots think its fun.

If you ignore them then thats your own risk.

Do they really do that? I've lived in student halls in edinburgh for 2 years and I have never heard of such a thing happening. Here they can get fined £1,000 if they get found out.
Original post by rickyrossman
Do they really do that? I've lived in student halls in edinburgh for 2 years and I have never heard of such a thing happening. Here they can get fined £1,000 if they get found out.

Yes and fire extinguishers as well. tends to happen a lot in Freshers, the fines are a lot lower maybe £50-100 and then if its a repeat its a warning and if they do it again they are normally thrown out of the hall. The £1,000 sounds like scare tactics.

You also get the situation that people who set them off may not be residents. As said above the OP should find out the explanation first as the fault may be with Unite and their alarm system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending