The Student Room Group

Uni and depression

Anyone at uni and studying badly with depression? I haven't attended classes in around 6 weeks, I struggle to find motivation and if I'm honest, I feel like I don't really wanna be here. I haven't really made any friends due to my age difference (being 24) and find it difficult to gel with anyone. Don't really have anything in common with my flat mates either and only friend I did have, we have fell out completely recently

I can't just quit and go home either because I would then be homeless so I feel like I'm stuck somewhere I don't want to be at. I enjoy my job in Leicester and it's the only time I genuinely feel motivated to do something.

I have a medical review with the doctors on 19th and an appointment with the uni on 27th to discuss my options, my concerns etc.

But I was wondering if anyone else felt like this at uni and what they did in regards to it?
Original post by Jammie_x
But I was wondering if anyone else felt like this at uni and what they did in regards to it?

Im around the age you mentioned. Uni is ****ing hell and i cant wait for May 2019 (that if i can make it). What year are you? are you saying you haven't got any friends at all??

Well let me tell you something, **** these late 90s/2000s kids. They are to hard to understand. I wish i went to university in 2012/2013 but noooo i started in 2015 and i have not made one friends (in fact i have no friends anyway and i'm now having a mid life identity crisis). I don't ****ing attend lectures, i have severe insomnia due to the depression and loneliness and it doesn't help that my parents are mocking me behind my back.

What are you doing this summer? if you finish early in March (like me) or May or whatever time, perhaps use that summer to sort out whatever issues you are having within yourself. This could mean get a job, go travelling etc etc or maybe seek a summer counselling throughout?

For me, i cope with substances (i'm not saying go my way) but i understand the pain. Keep fighting it and get that degree!!!!
Reply 2
Original post by Quiet Benin
Im around the age you mentioned. Uni is ****ing hell and i cant wait for May 2019 (that if i can make it). What year are you? are you saying you haven't got any friends at all??

Well let me tell you something, **** these late 90s/2000s kids. They are to hard to understand. I wish i went to university in 2012/2013 but noooo i started in 2015 and i have not made one friends (in fact i have no friends anyway and i'm now having a mid life identity crisis). I don't ****ing attend lectures, i have severe insomnia due to the depression and loneliness and it doesn't help that my parents are mocking me behind my back.

What are you doing this summer? if you finish early in March (like me) or May or whatever time, perhaps use that summer to sort out whatever issues you are having within yourself. This could mean get a job, go travelling etc etc or maybe seek a summer counselling throughout?

For me, i cope with substances (i'm not saying go my way) but i understand the pain. Keep fighting it and get that degree!!!!

I mean I have about two acquaintances at the uni and some at work but it's pretty much nothing. Yeah, I get what you mean. I have done everything they have already going to do so I'm at a different stage of my life. I went to uni in 2012 and hated it and didn't know what I wanted to do for a few years! I come back this year and I regret it so much. I also have insomnia. Only had about 5 hours sleep a night for 3 nights and then today I have slept around 14 hours and I'm still tired. I don't have the best family life either. My step mum hates me and basically thinks I'm a waste of space.

I wish I finished in March haha! But I have exams in May. I am going back home for the summer to work (only time I can stop at my parents) I am looking for mental health support but I can't afford to go private counselling so NHS mental health counselling is like 12 weeks wait.

I have been down that route. It makes it worse for ya and you can go crazy! Don't touch substances anymore. The mind is the enemy at times and it's so hard to get out of the mind set isn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending