The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Aston for Chemistry?

I want to study chemistry at uni, which university do you recommend ?! I want to do well and be in a good fun environment at the same time
Aston or Birmingham ?
The placement year making me lean more to Aston
Original post by LDLS_xx
I want to study chemistry at uni, which university do you recommend ?! I want to do well and be in a good fun environment at the same time
Aston or Birmingham ?

Industrial experience is essential, especially for something like Chemistry. Does Birmingham not offer a placement year for chemists?

I've heard that Aston has an excellent track record for graduate employability and a placement year will really help to give your CV that extra boost in a competitive job market.

All that aside, have you visited Aston and Birmingham? As they're in the same city, student life should be somewhat similar.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LDLS_xx
Aston or Birmingham ?

Then pick Aston. The course makes all the difference and that one offers work experience as well :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Then pick Aston. The course makes all the difference and that one offers work experience as well :smile:

Thank you .. But from what I’ve read people see Birmingham as a more prestigious uni so I’m really stuck 😩
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
Industrial experience is essential, especially for something like Chemistry. Does Birmingham not offer a placement year for chemists?

I've heard that Aston has an excellent track record for graduate employability and a placement year will really help to give your CV that extra boost in a competitive job market.

All that aside, have you visited Aston and Birmingham? As they're in the same city, student life should be somewhat similar.

Oh okay , and no not yet just been reading other people’s thoughts as I missed the recent open days because I’ve only just recently started to think about uni as I originally didn’t want to go
Original post by LDLS_xx
Thank you .. But from what I’ve read people see Birmingham as a more prestigious uni so I’m really stuck 😩

Prestige means nothing so I wouldn’t worry about it.
Original post by LDLS_xx
Aston or Birmingham ?

I went to the Birmingham uni open day for chemistry and thought it was brilliant. Everyone was really enthusiastic, the campus was nice and the accomodation was also pretty good. They do also offer a year in industry...
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/chemistry/chemistry-industrial.aspx

Personally I would choose Birmingham but i haven't seen Aston so idk what it is like. I wouldn't worry about 'prestige' tbh. It is better to go to a uni that u are happy and feel comfortable at than a uni which may look good on CV.
Reply 7
Original post by errrrrrrrrrrrr
I went to the Birmingham uni open day for chemistry and thought it was brilliant. Everyone was really enthusiastic, the campus was nice and the accomodation was also pretty good. They do also offer a year in industry...
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/chemistry/chemistry-industrial.aspx

Personally I would choose Birmingham but i haven't seen Aston so idk what it is like. I wouldn't worry about 'prestige' tbh. It is better to go to a uni that u are happy and feel comfortable at than a uni which may look good on CV.

Oh okay thank you , might have to have a look at Birmingham more then , do you go to Birmingham now ?
Original post by LDLS_xx
Oh okay thank you , might have to have a look at Birmingham more then , do you go to Birmingham now ?

No, i am in Yr13 and am looking to start either there (or York- also highly recommend) in September/October
Original post by LDLS_xx
Aston or Birmingham ?

Hi,

Fantastic you're considering studying with us. Rather than throwing marketing spiel at you, I wondered if you had any questions about our university, courses or student life in general.

Josh
University of Birmingham is in a different league to Aston.

1) Russel Group university (also look at rankings of UoB compared to aston both for uni and department)

2) UoB campus is beautiful and has a train station ON campus! (7min into new street)

3) We offer year in industry and have very strong links with the chemical industry and send of dozens of placement students. We have students that go to work for companies such as Roche, GSK, Pfizer, Dupont, Reckitt-Benckiser, Lubrizol and many more in placement year

4) Graduate prospectus from UoB is much better, and if you want to work in chemistry after, UoB graduates are going to be looked upon more favourable than Aston.

5) New £40M labs! Fantastic lecturers and academic support, most being ex-oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending