The Student Room Group

I just want to make A LOT of money

Im currently doing GCSES and am almost certain I will get all A/A* and in College I chose Further Maths, A level maths and Economics however I am willing to change economics and I may be forced to do a 4th option as im doing further maths. As the thread title suggests I just want to know the career that pays the most, i have heard investment banking pays a ton but so does jobs like medicine. If you were to go for money what career would you pursue and what A level options do you need for the career?

Scroll to see replies

Entrepreneur.
I wouldn’t necessarily say medicine, I’m more tempted to say investment banking or lawyer. Also isn’t that what everyone wants :smile:
Economics is the highest paying degree and to get to a competitive place you will need A*A*A

if you really want to make money, go to Oxbridge

If that doesnt work,

Imperial
LSE
Warwick
Durham (though not so known for economics).
Bath
St. Andrews

That will give you a good understansding of the world and business and position you for all kinds of quantative as well as qualitative aspects and careers.
Finance related career (banking, insurance etc..)
Forex
Original post by Keslo
Im currently doing GCSES and am almost certain I will get all A/A* and in College I chose Further Maths, A level maths and Economics however I am willing to change economics and I may be forced to do a 4th option as im doing further maths. As the thread title suggests I just want to know the career that pays the most, i have heard investment banking pays a ton but so does jobs like medicine. If you were to go for money what career would you pursue and what A level options do you need for the career?

1. Ignore what one of the other poster said about economics is the highest paying degree, the subject you choose isnt important for most grad roles as they just want a degree in any subject (and it is the career you choose not the subject you do at uni that determines your earning potential)

2. Investment banking is probably the best paid career, its earning potential is far greater than medicine (consultants earn up 100k but you will surpass this within a few years in IB with good performance)

The important thing for IB is to get into a target uni, preferably oxbridge (others include ICL, UCL, LSE), subject isnt really important as they take students with any subject but doing a summer internship is a must during your uni years (between year 2 and 3). So take the subjects you think you can get the highest grades in then go to a target uni

It is worth noting that you should read into IB before committing, while being money motivated isnt a bad thing imo you need to make sure that is going to be enough to drive you through the commitment of IB (70+ working hours a week is very common)

Law at a magic circle firm in the UK or a top firm in the USA would be the next career with the highest earning potential afaik
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Economics is the highest paying degree and to get to a competitive place you will need A*A*A

if you really want to make money, go to Oxbridge

If that doesnt work,

Imperial
LSE
Warwick
Durham (though not so known for economics).
Bath
St. Andrews

That will give you a good understansding of the world and business and position you for all kinds of quantative as well as qualitative aspects and careers.

Imperial doesn't have an Economics course.

Original post by Keslo

Per the above, LSE requires a fourth subject with Further Maths for Econonics (and it's various joint honours courses), if you're considering that.

If you intend to apply to medicine you need to take Chemistry, and you should seriously consider Biology or Physics as a second non-maths STEM subject.

There is more to life than making money, as you'll no doubt find - job (and life) satisfaction doesn't necessarily correlate with being well paid, and the latter is not a necessary condition for the former (in fact I'd say it isn't even a sufficient condition)
Reply 8
Footballer

High classy prossie

Stand up comedian

F1 driver
Original post by artful_lounger
Imperial doesn't have an Economics course.

Per the above, LSE requires a fourth subject with Further Maths for Econonics (and it's various joint honours courses), if you're considering that.

If you intend to apply to medicine you need to take Chemistry, and you should seriously consider Biology or Physics as a second non-maths STEM subject.

There is more to life than making money, as you'll no doubt find - job (and life) satisfaction doesn't necessarily correlate with being well paid, and the latter is not a necessary condition for the former (in fact I'd say it isn't even a sufficient condition)

oops always forget since they have management science good point take imperial off as an option.
oops always forget since they have management science good point take imperial off as an option.

Management and business related subjects can only be studied alone as a postgrad, there are no single honours management courses. The most relevant route would be engineering or maths (its not uncommon to go into finance and business from those courses).
Original post by artful_lounger
Management and business related subjects can only be studied alone as a postgrad, there are no single honours management courses. The most relevant route would be engineering or maths (its not uncommon to go into finance and business from those courses).

i considered there joint jonours management year as management science lol likely not the right title, i remember when i applied last year for kicks n giggles looking at it thinking no, not for me lol.
Reply 12
Fight mayweather
Original post by madmadmax321
1. Ignore what one of the other poster said about economics is the highest paying degree, the subject you choose isnt important for most grad roles as they just want a degree in any subject (and it is the career you choose not the subject you do at uni that determines your earning potential)

2. Investment banking is probably the best paid career, its earning potential is far greater than medicine (consultants earn up 100k but you will surpass this within a few years in IB with good performance)

The important thing for IB is to get into a target uni, preferably oxbridge (others include ICL, UCL, LSE), subject isnt really important as they take students with any subject but doing a summer internship is a must during your uni years (between year 2 and 3). So take the subjects you think you can get the highest grades in then go to a target uni

It is worth noting that you should read into IB before committing, while being money motivated isnt a bad thing imo you need to make sure that is going to be enough to drive you through the commitment of IB (70+ working hours a week is very common)

Law at a magic circle firm in the UK or a top firm in the USA would be the next career with the highest earning potential afaik

so he said what type of degree....i said economics for good reason... so according to you he should take social work and then go into IB?

he needs quantative skills....

you telling him to ignore a subject that combines math with money and critical thinking plus world awareness is rather idiotic.
Investor, Cryptocurrency Brokers, anything in Computing, entrepreneurs and much more.
IB looks good on paper but good luck staying on for more than 3 years when you work 90 hour weeks, and enjoy losing years off your life. Taking into account tax your net earnings per hour are basically equal to working at McDonald’s.
Don't we all
Original post by Keslo

Don't listen to the others about having to go to oxbridge. You will need to go to a target uni (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial or warwick). You will be fine with any of these though your best bet would be to go to oxbridge or LSE with more weight towards Cambridge and LSE. Also don't listen to those on this thread who are telling you to study anything. They are wrong. Over 86% of investment banker graduate of 2015 to a mathematical degree (Mathematics, Economics, Natural sciences etc) with more weight towards maths and econ. I have worked in HR for a few days during my work experience program at an investment bank and I got to have a look at some of their statistics. I can promise you no one had a media degree. It is rare to see someone outside the fields I have mentioned above. You're best bet is to do maths, further maths, economics and any subject for your fourth (Although dont do a really soft subject as this can really damage your chances of going to a top uni.). You would be better off going LSE over cambridge as cam tend to give offers of 3 A* and this is usually very hard to meet. Also LSE is in central London so it will be much easier in terms of recruitment and links.
so he said what type of degree....i said economics for good reason... so according to you he should take social work and then go into IB?

he needs quantative skills....

you telling him to ignore a subject that combines math with money and critical thinking plus world awareness is rather idiotic.

Its much much more important to consider the uni rather than the subject when looking at a career in IB. Its much more beneficial to make the op aware that for IB, going to a target uni is very important (and will make your life a lot easier when trying to break into the sector) rather than just stating that economics is the highest paid subject (which is a very misleading statement in itself)

No offence but I dont think I have seen you give any good advice in the career section on tsr and a good amount of the time, the stuff you say is just completely incorrect
Original post by madmadmax321
Its much much more important to consider the uni rather than the subject when looking at a career in IB. Its much more beneficial to make the op aware that for IB, going to a target uni is very important (and will make your life a lot easier when trying to break into the sector) rather than just stating that economics is the highest paid subject (which is a very misleading statement in itself)

No offence but I dont think I have seen you give any good advice in the career section on tsr and a good amount of the time, the stuff you say is just completely incorrect

Yea but nothing i said was really incorrect economics graduates are amongst the highest earners..

How is suggest economics n/a when all someone wants to do is make money? wouldnt the study of money come into play.

so you just sound like an arse tbf.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending