The Student Room Group

Appeal for driving test??

So I took my driving test for the first time today and failed.
I got 3 minors for control 1 for lane discipline and 1 for gears.
The control was for roll back and stalling twice. But the stalls were corrected quickly and accordingly without causing obstruction or traffic buildup. So I think its an unfair fail.
Also someone my instructor taught got 6minors alone for steering and still passed???
I know the result cant be changed but is it worth the appeal?
Reply 1
Waste of time, tbh.

Move on and pass it next time.
Waste of time and fair fail anyway, you might have not caused an issue rolling back then, but who knows, the next time as a full license holder you could have rolled back and hit the car behind you, if it's on a hill it's even worse.

Also fix your lane discipline, people with poor lane discipline are a nuisance and a danger to everyone else.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
The control was for roll back and stalling twice. But the stalls were corrected quickly and accordingly without causing obstruction or traffic buildup. So I think its an unfair fail.
Also someone my instructor taught got 6minors alone for steering and still passed???

You shouldn't really be stalling at all, let alone rolling back.
Reply 4
Well, I got 14/15 minors during my test and still passed first time. :biggrin:

Anyway, a fail is a fail. They'd only fail you if they have a reason to believe that you're not being safe on the road, i.e rolling backwards - very dangerous, especially on steep hills. More so with the way, some drivers really get up your behind.

Anyhow, just move on, and sit your test again. And remember not to stall/roll, and correct your lane discipline.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

Rolling backwards is an instant fail, regardless of traffic conditions. The examiner followed the rules, so your appeal is without merit. Best just to continue practicing and work on improving your driving so that you won't make the same errors next time you're being tested.
Reply 6
Original post by Dez
Rolling backwards is an instant fail, regardless of traffic conditions. The examiner followed the rules, so your appeal is without merit. Best just to continue practicing and work on improving your driving so that you won't make the same errors next time you're being tested.

From what i remember rolling back is only an instant fail if there's a car behind you. Otherwise it would just be a minor mark?
Reply 7
Original post by Dannit2
From what i remember rolling back is only an instant fail if there's a car behind you. Otherwise it would just be a minor mark?

The examiner can fail you for a rollback regardless of traffic conditions, if they do not feel that you have control of the car. If they have to use the dual controls to stop you rolling furhter then that is 100% definite fail, but if you only roll a few centimeteres on a clear road then you might get away with a minor fault - if the examiner is kind.

The rule they're testing you against is entirely crystal clear though: you must not allow the vehicle to roll back. If you break this rule, the examiner is fully within their rights to fail you, if they judge your mistake to be serious enough to warrant doing so. So as I said to OP, the examiner followed the DVSA rules, therfore cannot be appealed against.
What Dez said, rollback counts as loss of control = insta fail, they're super harsh on it. If it's only an inch or two and under certain conditions they can turn a blind eye but if it's as a result of a stall they have to count it. Best advice is be aware of your surroundings, if your being asked to take off from even a slight incline, bite the clutch right in with extra gas before taking the handbrake off, get the car rattling and creaking to go, the examiner will understand why your doing it.

I'd be a bit curious about your mate passing with 6 identical minors though, as that's obv a fail? like did it say 6 on the form or was the examiner using discretion? In any case any complaint to DVLA along the line of 'But my mate...' won't go anywhere.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nevershear
Waste of time and fair fail anyway, you might have not caused an issue rolling back then, but who knows, the next time as a full license holder you could have rolled back and hit the car behind you, if it's on a hill it's even worse.

Also fix your lane discipline, people with poor lane discipline are a nuisance and a danger to everyone else.

Exactly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending