The Student Room Group

Help with degree

Hello, I'll apply next September with my results already achieved as I took a gap year. I am taking Maths, Further Maths and Economics and probably will have good results.

I was going to study maths, as I'm good at it,I really like it and has good career opportunities. However, after some research I am having second thoughts as by studying maths, the main careers is teaching, something with technology/computers or in the finance industry. The first 2 are out of question, and as for finance, I like some parts of the industry and pay is very good, but I am not very fond of living my whole life working in an office in the financial sector.

That's why I begin thinking of Mechanical Engineering. I like physics and mechanics and regretted my A level choices (would choose physics over econ now) and I found some good unis that accept students without physics A level. However, if I study maths, I can get into better, top universities instead of mech eng, where my choice is limited to unis that don't require physics. But by studying mech eng, I can work from automotive to petroleum companies. I can even do a master in another engineering field and open more doors. Also, I can still work in the finance (with a lower chance though as I wont be from a target uni).

As a course, I prefer Maths, but I don't prefer the careers that a maths degree can lead to, except possibly a PhD and then a lecturer or something science/physics-related but chances are very low.
Does it worth it to sacrifice a place at a top university and a stable career in finance for something I have not studied before?
If in the 2nd/3rd year of my degree decide I don't like mechanical eng it will be too late.
Original post by dell1234
Hello, I'll apply next September with my results already achieved as I took a gap year. I am taking Maths, Further Maths and Economics and probably will have good results.

I was going to study maths, as I'm good at it,I really like it and has good career opportunities. However, after some research I am having second thoughts as by studying maths, the main careers is teaching, something with technology/computers or in the finance industry. The first 2 are out of question, and as for finance, I like some parts of the industry and pay is very good, but I am not very fond of living my whole life working in an office in the financial sector.

That's why I begin thinking of Mechanical Engineering. I like physics and mechanics and regretted my A level choices (would choose physics over econ now) and I found some good unis that accept students without physics A level. However, if I study maths, I can get into better, top universities instead of mech eng, where my choice is limited to unis that don't require physics. But by studying mech eng, I can work from automotive to petroleum companies. I can even do a master in another engineering field and open more doors. Also, I can still work in the finance (with a lower chance though as I wont be from a target uni).

As a course, I prefer Maths, but I don't prefer the careers that a maths degree can lead to, except possibly a PhD and then a lecturer or something science/physics-related but chances are very low.
Does it worth it to sacrifice a place at a top university and a stable career in finance for something I have not studied before?
If in the 2nd/3rd year of my degree decide I don't like mechanical eng it will be too late.

Are you actively considering a career in engineering? You're certainly correct in that without physics then your options for mech eng courses are quite limited, but if it's something that you're interested in this won't really matter, as you still do have options with your current subject choice.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Are you actively considering a career in engineering? You're certainly correct in that without physics then your options for mech eng courses are quite limited, but if it's something that you're interested in this won't really matter, as you still do have options with your current subject choice.

thanks for the reply. do you mean by studying maths do i have options for engineering careers? how can I become a chartered engineer with a degree in maths, even with a master in engineering? if i do not become a chartered engineer my career prospects will be limited and i think if i study maths and then an accredited master in mechanical/aerospace engineering i would still not fulfill the academic requirements for becoming a chartered. am i correct?
Original post by dell1234
thanks for the reply. do you mean by studying maths do i have options for engineering careers? how can I become a chartered engineer with a degree in maths, even with a master in engineering? if i do not become a chartered engineer my career prospects will be limited and i think if i study maths and then an accredited master in mechanical/aerospace engineering i would still not fulfill the academic requirements for becoming a chartered. am i correct?

No, what I mean is that even without physics, with your subjects you can still get a place on an engineering degree. It's unlikely to be a "top" university but if you want to be an engineer that won't matter. If it does bother you could could take a gap year to do physics...

If you want to become an engineer than an engineering degree is a much better choice than a maths one. The importance of chartership depends a lot on the industry - in some it's not particularly important whereas others put more of an emphasis on it. If you have an accredited masters degree then you're fine in terms of meeting the academic requirements for chartership.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending