The Student Room Group

Dads a doctor - can be view my medical record?

My dads a doctor, would he have access to view my medical record and history?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

Unless he is YOUR doctor or a doctor involved in your care, no. If he did or tried he could be fired because it's against confidentiality rules.

Ethics aside, he may be able to access at least some parts of you medical record. If he is a GP working at the practice where you are registered, he technically is able to see the same details your own GP can see. If he is a hospital doctor, he may be able to see referral letters or hospital letters but not your GP records.
Hi,

I am not a lawyer, but I believe your dad can view some parts of your medical record IF YOU GIVE WRITTEN CONSENT FOR HIM TO DO SO. There are a number of levels of access to patients' records in, for instance, Vision [one common software package used by GPs in UK - others are Emis and Toris] - if you ask your GP receptionist to provide you with your login details, you can access certain parts of your medical record yourself [depending on the policy of your surgery], which you could show your dad [since it is clear that you are happy for your dad to do this].

M (ex medic)
Original post by macpatelgh
Hi,

I am not a lawyer, but I believe your dad can view some parts of your medical record IF YOU GIVE WRITTEN CONSENT FOR HIM TO DO SO. There are a number of levels of access to patients' records in, for instance, Vision [one common software package used by GPs in UK - others are Emis and Toris] - if you ask your GP receptionist to provide you with your login details, you can access certain parts of your medical record yourself [depending on the policy of your surgery], which you could show your dad [since it is clear that you are happy for your dad to do this].

M (ex medic)

How did you come to the conclusion that he "would be happy" for his dad to check his records? If he wanted his Dad to view it he would have just asked him - man's a GP so surely he'd know better than some randoms on TSR... Since he clearly hasn't asked him it's more than likely he doesn't want him to see.

I'ma give u a 1/10 on the Sherlock scale
How did you come to the conclusion that he "would be happy" for his dad to check his records? If he wanted his Dad to view it he would have just asked him - man's a GP so surely he'd know better than some randoms on TSR... Since he clearly hasn't asked him it's more than likely he doesn't want him to see.

I'ma give u a 1/10 on the Sherlock scale

Do the "randoms on TSR" include people who are too crooked or too chicken to reveal their identity, and pose as anonymous?

Further, I would rather get 0/10 for your score (RE: well-known saying "lawyers are liars"!)
Reply 6
He is not allowed to view your records unless he’s somehow involved in your care.

Access to notes is monitored and your dad could get in trouble for checking it without a good medical reason.

Quick Reply

Latest