The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

What is it like to study at Sheffield?

Hello everyone,

I am currently applying for a part time masters at Sheffield. I went on an open day recently and loved the place! I thought the staff were so friendly and the study spaces were amazing.

I just wanted to hear your experiences of studying at Sheffield in general, regardless of what course you're studying.

If anyone is studying/ has studied a masters either full or part time any info on this would be perfect. As a part time student I would only have one two hour seminar a week. I'm wondering if commuting an hour and half as well as working three days a week would be too much?

Original post by SophhFrog
Hello everyone,

I am currently applying for a part time masters at Sheffield. I went on an open day recently and loved the place! I thought the staff were so friendly and the study spaces were amazing.

I just wanted to hear your experiences of studying at Sheffield in general, regardless of what course you're studying.

If anyone is studying/ has studied a masters either full or part time any info on this would be perfect. As a part time student I would only have one two hour seminar a week. I'm wondering if commuting an hour and half as well as working three days a week would be too much?

Working three days a week sounds a lot.
Commuting an hour and a half also sounds a lot.

Both doable but you are making it hard for yourself and if you are either working or n a train, then you are going to miss out on being in Sheffield which is a pretty good city for students and the uni in general. maybe work and then attend the following year with savings?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Hi, thanks so much for your advice! I was considering doing that but I wouldn't have the help of student loan and would have to pay council tax so I'm unsure how much I could save.

I've been trying to save money at the moment just incase. Working 3 days is so I'm comfortable I guess. I could get away with 2 days a week to manage.

It's hard to know when most of the advice is tailored around full time students. My current uni said we could work full time and still do a part time masters if we wanted to and I thought that sounded too much!

It's a 45 minute train journey each way and then the tram to campus. Just for one day a week of teaching though.

What course do you do?
I did my undergrad there and loved it. I never lived in England till I went to uni so it was a pretty new experience on the whole, but it was really fun. City is really nice and has lots of beautiful places to visit. Lot's of great places to eat/do stuff with friends. I was at Uni of Sheffield so I can only speak for that but they have pretty great student support both academically and personally. Have a bunch of friends at Hallam who enjoyed it still but don't have much personal experience there. The hills are insane but I got used to walking around them pretty quick, but if you're commuting sounds like you won't need to worry about that too much.
Reply 4
Thanks, alexschmalex! That's really helpful to know!

Sounds like it's really welcoming then! My university is about 4 times smaller than Sheffield but if you managed to fit in it seems like I shouldn't worry!

I do worry about student support in terms of anxiety. I love seminars but I do find them difficult sometimes because of that.

It is Uni of Sheffield I mean ahah, sorry I didn't make it clearer. I went on an open day a couple of weeks ago and really loved it! It's huge though.

My uni has a really small library too. If you arrive too late you can't find study space but the libraries at Sheffield seem amazing!

What course did you study there?

I haven't heard anything bad about Sheffield yet which I'm so pleased about.
You posted this a couple of months ago, but I thought i'd give my opinion anyway in case you or anyone else is looking for information. I studied physics at Sheffield for a year before deciding to change courses, I've been accepted to a few different unis, but decided to go back to Sheffield for my new course! You're right, the staff are very friendly and happy to help.

As a full-time student (I imagine it's the same for part time), I was given an academic tutor and a personal tutor. The academic tutors will run any tutorials you have, and will be happy to schedule additional meetings with you if you're having issues with any of the course material. In my experience lecturers will also happily schedule meetings with you if there's something you can't get your head around and want to go over. Your personal tutor is there to help you with personal and administrative problems, for example if you want to drop a module or if there are mental health issues affecting your study. If you are having any serious mental health issues, the university does offer support for its students through SAMHS.

There are a lot of high quality study spaces available, but the main ones do get full from around 12PM - 4PM. Some departments also have their own study spaces though, and the university has an app that will tell you how many PCs are available in each building (as well as your timetable and other useful information). The quality of teaching is great overall, but you will probably encounter the occasional unenthusiastic or disorganised lecturer.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them.
Original post by JackMaskell
You posted this a couple of months ago, but I thought i'd give my opinion anyway in case you or anyone else is looking for information. I studied physics at Sheffield for a year before deciding to change courses, I've been accepted to a few different unis, but decided to go back to Sheffield for my new course! You're right, the staff are very friendly and happy to help.

As a full-time student (I imagine it's the same for part time), I was given an academic tutor and a personal tutor. The academic tutors will run any tutorials you have, and will be happy to schedule additional meetings with you if you're having issues with any of the course material. In my experience lecturers will also happily schedule meetings with you if there's something you can't get your head around and want to go over. Your personal tutor is there to help you with personal and administrative problems, for example if you want to drop a module or if there are mental health issues affecting your study. If you are having any serious mental health issues, the university does offer support for its students through SAMHS.

There are a lot of high quality study spaces available, but the main ones do get full from around 12PM - 4PM. Some departments also have their own study spaces though, and the university has an app that will tell you how many PCs are available in each building (as well as your timetable and other useful information). The quality of teaching is great overall, but you will probably encounter the occasional unenthusiastic or disorganised lecturer.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them.

Hi I have an offer for physics at Sheffield, would you be able to speak more about your experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending