The Student Room Group

I have a new boyfriend but i still love my ex. I need advice.

Poll

What should i do? please help

I HAVE PUT A POLL UP PLEASE VOTE
A couple months ago me and my boyfriend broke up after a 6 month relationship
we agreed it wasn't working out but i still loved him.
Then about a month ago i met this really nice guy and we started getting close.
After a couple weeks we decided we should start a relationship. We both really like each other i think i could be in love with him but i still had feelings for my ex boyfriend.
Then a couple days ago my ex boyfriend started texting me saying he wanted to get back with me he said we could work things out. I still really love my ex we have a really good connection we were friends for years before we started a relationship but i had been in love with him for ages.
I just dont know what to do because i really love my ex boyfriend but i think i could be in love with my new boyfriend.
I dont want to hurt anyone but i dont want to make the wrong decision.
Should i get back with my ex boyfriend or should i stay with my current boyfriend?
What would you do in my situation?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

was there a specific really tough reason why you broke up? was the relationship unhealthy? does your new boyfriend make you happier? is the new relationship healthy? did they treat you equally as well? make sure you aren’t throwing away a good opportunity on something that may not work anyway.. it may be just the memories of the relationship making you crave the old times? good luck x
I wouldn't go back to the ex. You broke up for good reasons. Those reasons will still be there.
I wouldn't necessarily stay with the new one either. If the new one isn't good enough to make you really glad you split up with your ex, there's a high chance he's not compatible enough for you.
you shouldn't have agreed to a new relationship if you weren't completely over your old one
Original post by Anonymous
you shouldn't have agreed to a new relationship if you weren't completely over your old one
Why not?
Reply 5
Original post by laurenbethhh
was there a specific really tough reason why you broke up? was the relationship unhealthy? does your new boyfriend make you happier? is the new relationship healthy? did they treat you equally as well? make sure you aren’t throwing away a good opportunity on something that may not work anyway.. it may be just the memories of the relationship making you crave the old times? good luck x

We broke up because we had been arguing a bit but all couples do that i guess. Our relationship was healthy and he treated me really well.
My new boyfriend makes me happy but it feels like something is missing.
Me and my ex boyfriend feel as if we threw our relationship away. We agree we should have worked harder on saving it but we were both stressed at the time due to exams which got in the way.
Reply 6
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
I wouldn't go back to the ex. You broke up for good reasons. Those reasons will still be there.
I wouldn't necessarily stay with the new one either. If the new one isn't good enough to make you really glad you split up with your ex, there's a high chance he's not compatible enough for you.

I think i might have moved on too soon. If i were to break up with my new boyfriend how could i let him down gently.
Original post by megan254
I think i might have moved on too soon. If i were to break up with my new boyfriend how could i let him down gently.

Just tell him that you feel like you have moved on too soon and he deserves a better relationship.
You may not be able to let him down gently.
The scenario that would let him down the gentlest would be if you introduced him to someone that would be a better girlfirend for him than you. And they just happened to fall in love, resulting in you ending your relationship by mutual agreement. That may be something that's unlikely to happen.
Maybe the best you can do is to tell your current boyfriend that you want to go back to your ex? That wouldn't be gentle but it would be honest and open.

What were the reasons that you split with your ex? I've got a horrible feeling that you'll tell us that it was for something sinister or unforgiveable or for something that would only get worse the longer you stayed with him.
Reply 9
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
You may not be able to let him down gently.
The scenario that would let him down the gentlest would be if you introduced him to someone that would be a better girlfirend for him than you. And they just happened to fall in love, resulting in you ending your relationship by mutual agreement. That may be something that's unlikely to happen.
Maybe the best you can do is to tell your current boyfriend that you want to go back to your ex? That wouldn't be gentle but it would be honest and open.

What were the reasons that you split with your ex? I've got a horrible feeling that you'll tell us that it was for something sinister or unforgiveable or for something that would only get worse the longer you stayed with him.

We broke up because we had been arguing but all couples do that. We just didnt try harder enough to save our relationship. At the time we had exams which made us stressed so we had been more focused on that.
We broke up because we had been arguing a bit but all couples do that i guess. Our relationship was healthy and he treated me really well.
My new boyfriend makes me happy but it feels like something is missing.
Me and my ex boyfriend feel as if we threw our relationship away. We agree we should have worked harder on saving it but we were both stressed at the time due to exams which got in the way.

You have to ask yourself, are you being fair on your current boyfriend?
And here kids we see that taking responsibility for our own actions is always the simpler way to eliminate our conveluted issues.
We broke up because we had been arguing but all couples do that. We just didnt try harder enough to save our relationship. At the time we had exams which made us stressed so we had been more focused on that.

Not all couples argue to the point of needing to break up over it

Things like that don't really change, you both might be saying nice things to each other now but once you get settled back into the relationship and comfortable again you will start arguing again.

There's really not enough for any of us on here to make a judgement call over this for you but I would suggest if you really have strong enough feelings for the new person then to stay with him. The last relationship failed once already and the new one is going really well just now. However if you do stay with the new guy you have to completely cut the ex out. And I'm assuming you're currently talking to both right now so you need to make your decision now because that's not fair and honestly you're kind of on the verge of cheating on your current boyfriend just now.
"You’re gonna hate him
Then you’ll want me
Then you’ll miss him
Then you’ll hate me"

- The Weeknd
Are you not playing with someone's feelings then? A person reaches a new low when they play with people's feelings.
Reply 15
Original post by AndrewSCO
Not all couples argue to the point of needing to break up over it

Things like that don't really change, you both might be saying nice things to each other now but once you get settled back into the relationship and comfortable again you will start arguing again.

There's really not enough for any of us on here to make a judgement call over this for you but I would suggest if you really have strong enough feelings for the new person then to stay with him. The last relationship failed once already and the new one is going really well just now. However if you do stay with the new guy you have to completely cut the ex out. And I'm assuming you're currently talking to both right now so you need to make your decision now because that's not fair and honestly you're kind of on the verge of cheating on your current boyfriend just now.

I have feelings for my new boyfriend but i can't block out the feelings i still have for my ex boyfriend. I know i need to stop talking to one of them but its so difficult.
I have feelings for my new boyfriend but i can't block out the feelings i still have for my ex boyfriend. I know i need to stop talking to one of them but its so difficult.

Does your ex know you have a boyfriend?
Reply 17
Original post by The Weeknd
Are you not playing with someone's feelings then? A person reaches a new low when they play with people's feelings.

I feel terrible for playing with peoples feelings
Reply 18
Original post by AndrewSCO
Does your ex know you have a boyfriend?

Yes he does
I feel terrible for playing with peoples feelings

Terrible enough to know when some things must end before they become something a lot more serious?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending