The Student Room Group

Drinking too much water?

Call me a hypochondriac but I drank a lot of water in a short period and now I’m experiencing a headache. I don’t wanna be one of those annoying people who assuming that they’re dying but I read about water intoxication and I’m afraid.

I hardly exercise and I usually don’t drink water but I started to up my water intake so I can lose weight. Maybe i am being a hypochondriac but a symptom of hypotremia (water intoxication) is headaches so that’s why I’m afraid.

Am I overreacting?!
don't drink water until thirsty if you think it's water intoxication

just wait and I'm sure yo'll be fine
I get a headache like you when I have too much water. It might be more common if you rarely have water but have a lot in one random go. Get yourself used to drinking water regularly.
Reply 3
Original post by hjchicken
Call me a hypochondriac but I drank a lot of water in a short period and now I’m experiencing a headache. I don’t wanna be one of those annoying people who assuming that they’re dying but I read about water intoxication and I’m afraid.

I hardly exercise and I usually don’t drink water but I started to up my water intake so I can lose weight. Maybe i am being a hypochondriac but a symptom of hypotremia (water intoxication) is headaches so that’s why I’m afraid.

Am I overreacting?!

How much do you mean by a lot? Did you chug a gallon or did you have a glass kinda quickly?
There is very very little chance you've made yourself actually unwell from drinking water.
Sit down for a while, maybe have a snack and go take a piss.
The issue with water intoxication off from holding a lot of water in for too long (like ignoring the need to pee for a long time or from exercise making your body hold onto it).
Otherwise your body will do it's thing and regulate itself.

If you're drinking more water to lose weight my primary suspect for your headache would be you not having had enough to eat recently.
Reply 4
Original post by Kindred
How much do you mean by a lot? Did you chug a gallon or did you have a glass kinda quickly?
There is very very little chance you've made yourself actually unwell from drinking water.
Sit down for a while, maybe have a snack and go take a piss.
The issue with water intoxication off from holding a lot of water in for too long (like ignoring the need to pee for a long time or from exercise making your body hold onto it).
Otherwise your body will do it's thing and regulate itself.

If you're drinking more water to lose weight my primary suspect for your headache would be you not having had enough to eat recently.

I think I’ve drank like a litre or more in under an hour. But I think you’re right I haven’t really been eating much recently and I also haven’t been sleeping so that’s probably what’s causing my headaches.
Reply 5
Original post by TheTroll73
don't drink water until thirsty if you think it's water intoxication

just wait and I'm sure yo'll be fine

Yeah I’m probably just overreacting like I always do.
Reply 6
Yeah I’ve eaten some salty things to try to up my salt levels and my headache is starting to go away so that’s good :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by The Weeknd
I get a headache like you when I have too much water. It might be more common if you rarely have water but have a lot in one random go. Get yourself used to drinking water regularly.

Yeah I think my body needs to get used to all this water. I’m definitely overreacting.
Reply 8
Drinking a lot of water can alter densities allowing vitamins and nutrients to exit the cell. This is probably what’s causing the headache. Go and eat something that’s salty
It seems like you just have anxiety
Original post by hjchicken
I think I’ve drank like a litre or more in under an hour. But I think you’re right I haven’t really been eating much recently and I also haven’t been sleeping so that’s probably what’s causing my headaches.

that is not a dangerous amount. but don't overdo it.
Just listen to your bladder as I do.

Quick Reply

Latest