The Student Room Group

How do I come to terms with being extremely unattractive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sataris
Well, yeah

dOnT assume 😩
perfect your peepee game
What is this incel thing? Can we please move away from it? Firstly, I am not a virgin which is required for incels? And who says one can't be 2/10 and still get laid, once in a blue moon this may happen to me, trust me I have to struggle to get it though.I dont understand this weird incel discussion that is going on. Im not even blaming women which I guess incels kind of do? Im searching for a path where I can at least re-programme my desire to find someone and to put that energy in to something else because i think I have hit the wall so to speak in the area of finding someone.
(edited 5 years ago)
You've got nothing to come to terms with. You should train yourself to own your image and be proud of what you have. Girls are not the be all and end all of life, you have bigger and better things in your life to focus on. Don't waste time and energy worrying about whether girls will like you cos that's counter-productive. Focus only on yourself - it's not the end of the world if you end up alone. Girls should have as little importance in your life as possible - they should mean nothing to you. Once you stop looking for approval from girls, your confidence will soar.

Also, have a read of this article. It's empowering and cheered me up when I found it. :smile:

http://www.positivethingsonly.com/science-says-bald-men-stronger-confident/
Original post by IxJ
As above confidence is key, but confidence comes from doing things because you want to do them. Wear the clothes that you like and make you feel good, style your hair in a way that suits you, and again, you like, and develop your interests in the rest of your life. Your looks will only be the most important thing about you in finding a relationship if they are what you are founding the relationship on. If you join groups and societies in things you are genuinely interested in and become engaged with them as a member, you are more likely to find a woman who has some real interests in common with you. Personally, the things I have found truly irresistible are talent, passion, and a good understanding of self. Funnily enough, this means that despite receiving a fair amount of attention, I haven't found anyone I am interested in being with, and am de-facto celibate for the foreseeable future.

Rather than rail against the heavens because of how unfair it is that people do not put time and effort into developing themselves as people I have decided to just focus on myself - if someone comes along that I am interested in, fantastic, and if they don't it doesn't matter, because my life is filled with other things.

In summary, focus on yourself, be clean-cut and well-dressed because it makes you feel good and to your own standards, don't worry if no one is paying attention to you, just make sure you yourself are paying attention to you, develop relationships (friendly and possibly otherwise) without any expectations except that you have interest in common which can enrich your lives, and let things develop naturally with people. For the right person there is nothing lacking in you, and vice versa.

And I also agree with the above: Rock what you got! :smile:

Couldn't agree more! Thanks for putting it so eloquently. :smile:
Original post by Convergence
The issue is quite simple. I'm very very unattractive. I am a skinny and quite short (5'9) guy. But this isn't even the real issue. The real issue is my face and my receding hairline. My face is at best 2/10. This has lead to girls giving me zero attention. Honestly, I don't blame them. I totally understand why no one want's to get involved with someone they are not attracted to. I don't want to be bitter about this because I get it, from the evolutionary perspective my genes are probably not meant to be spread, it's not more complex than that I guess. However, for some reason, although I am aware of this, I cannot help to feel pity for myself. It's disgusting and depressing really and I do need advice on how I can come to accept the facts of evolution and allow myself to detach myself from my interest of relations and refocusing all that energy on something like my career.

I appreciate all advice's and I'm sorry if this makes no sense, English is my third language.

Honestly, I think you might be overthinking the extent of how others perceive you. Now, my other half is not the most attractive of lads but to be honest I don't even think of him like that or see him like that. I met him 8 years ago, and had his good looks and so on and yeah I found him attractive, but now that I've grown with him 8 years on, he's now just turned 26, Obviously he doesn't look the same as he did when he was 18 but I don't see him for his looks. I see him for who he is and his personality.

Thinking back when I first met him and he was very attractive, I even stopped seeing him for his looks back then too, when I got to know him and our personalities seemed to fit together like two pieces in a jigsaw..

As cliche as it may sound, if you have personality then it doesn't really matter what you look like.
I appreciate the responses attempting to address the issue I need help with. See, as I told ANM I do kind of wish that I could show you guys a picture. Maybe a little bit too shy to put in public however... But I guess I could phrase the question in a hypothetical manner. Imagine me as literally a person you would consider 2/10 if you could make such a shallow judgement, or just see me as Shrek. Now, I guess one could argue that rocking what you got is literally not going to work because the value, at least based on appearance is zero on the "sexual market place", if one could call it that. Now, if we can imagine this case, how could one reprogramme their inner desire to find a loving partner if that option is close to impossible due to ones looks? See where im going with this? How could one refocus on other things and ignore the inner desire of finding a partner. I genuinely have a sense that from a evolutionary perspective it is over, and that focus should be put elsewhere.

And if imaging a really unattractive person, maybe I can share pictures with those interested in giving me ideas personally?

This is probably of greater utility than TSR in regards to 'benchmarking' your facial aesthetics versus the populace-at-large.
Original post by dinomite
dOnT assume 😩

excuse me?
Original post by Anonymous
Lol that first guy is not a 2/10. Hes just not photogenic

Both are in fact the same person: me. Which, I think, rather affirms my point.
Original post by asif007
You've got nothing to come to terms with. You should train yourself to own your image and be proud of what you have. Girls are not the be all and end all of life, you have bigger and better things in your life to focus on. Don't waste time and energy worrying about whether girls will like you cos that's counter-productive. Focus only on yourself - it's not the end of the world if you end up alone. Girls should have as little importance in your life as possible - they should mean nothing to you. Once you stop looking for approval from girls, your confidence will soar.

Also, have a read of this article. It's empowering and cheered me up when I found it. :smile:

http://www.positivethingsonly.com/science-says-bald-men-stronger-confident/

This is actually what I want to accomplish. I guess one could say that it is a way to detach yourself from the pursuit of finding a relationship. Now, there is a desire, whether it is genetically or not, to find someone. How do one resist such a desire and put their energy elsewhere?
Reply 30
Original post by Annonimous
Honestly, I think you might be overthinking the extent of how others perceive you. Now, my other half is not the most attractive of lads but to be honest I don't even think of him like that or see him like that. I met him 8 years ago, and had his good looks and so on and yeah I found him attractive, but now that I've grown with him 8 years on, he's now just turned 26, Obviously he doesn't look the same as he did when he was 18 but I don't see him for his looks. I see him for who he is and his personality.

Thinking back when I first met him and he was very attractive, I even stopped seeing him for his looks back then too, when I got to know him and our personalities seemed to fit together like two pieces in a jigsaw..

As cliche as it may sound, if you have personality then it doesn't really matter what you look like.

So what you're basically saying is that your bf has hit the wall aged 26? :s-smilie:
Original post by ANM775
So what you're basically saying is that your bf has hit the wall aged 26? :s-smilie:

What is hitting the wall? :K:
Reply 32
What is hitting the wall? :K:

A noticeable drop in attractiveness due to the effects of aging

normally starts happening to women around 30.......
Original post by IxJ
As above confidence is key, but confidence comes from doing things because you want to do them. Wear the clothes that you like and make you feel good, style your hair in a way that suits you, and again, you like, and develop your interests in the rest of your life. Your looks will only be the most important thing about you in finding a relationship if they are what you are founding the relationship on. If you join groups and societies in things you are genuinely interested in and become engaged with them as a member, you are more likely to find a woman who has some real interests in common with you. Personally, the things I have found truly irresistible are talent, passion, and a good understanding of self. Funnily enough, this means that despite receiving a fair amount of attention, I haven't found anyone I am interested in being with, and am de-facto celibate for the foreseeable future.

Rather than rail against the heavens because of how unfair it is that people do not put time and effort into developing themselves as people I have decided to just focus on myself - if someone comes along that I am interested in, fantastic, and if they don't it doesn't matter, because my life is filled with other things.

In summary, focus on yourself, be clean-cut and well-dressed because it makes you feel good and to your own standards, don't worry if no one is paying attention to you, just make sure you yourself are paying attention to you, develop relationships (friendly and possibly otherwise) without any expectations except that you have interest in common which can enrich your lives, and let things develop naturally with people. For the right person there is nothing lacking in you, and vice versa.

And I also agree with the above: Rock what you got! :smile:

I appreciate that you, seems like you got your "****" together so to speak. I guess I need to get over the self-pettiness and fill my life with other things. It's just that I'm so down over the fact that I'm ugly that I kind of lose both momentum and confidence needed to fill my life with other valuable stuff...
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
A noticeable drop in attractiveness due to the effects of aging

normally starts happening to women around 30.......

I never said anything of the sort. Focus a little less on putting words into my mouth and a little more on the context of what I've said then you might realise that. I said when we first met I found him very attractive - when he was 18. Obviously, a human being changes a lot in terms of physical appearance from 18 to 26, 8 years on. Does he look the same as he did? No. Have I ever looked at him and thought he was ugly? No, because when you've known someone for a really long time you stop seeing them for their looks and you just see them for who they are.
What works for me is sinking into depression and consequently losing my sex drive. I find that then my unattractiveness does not get me down so much, only everything else in life.
Reply 36
This is actually what I want to accomplish. I guess one could say that it is a way to detach yourself from the pursuit of finding a relationship. Now, there is a desire, whether it is genetically or not, to find someone. How do one resist such a desire and put their energy elsewhere?

Starting by realising that any relationship where your looks are a major point would be fundamentally unsatisfying? Also, until you are a person you want to be with, you won't find someone who you'll be happy with. Sammy Davis Jr put it very well: "I can't be right for somebody else, if I'm not right for me", I recommend you give "I gotta be me" a good listen :smile:
Reply 37
I never said anything of the sort. Focus a little less on putting words into my mouth and a little more on the context of what I've said then you might realise that. I said when we first met I found him very attractive - when he was 18. Obviously, a human being changes a lot in terms of physical appearance from 18 to 26, 8 years on. Does he look the same as he did? No. Have I ever looked at him and thought he was ugly? No, because when you've known someone for a really long time you stop seeing them for their looks and you just see them for who they are.

Don't have a go at me, you need to be more clear in what you are saying.

You were saying that your bf was "very attractive" when you first met him at 18 .....and by age 26 he had changed a lot ...but you are still very much into him.

That sounds like he declined from 18 to 26 but you still love him for his personality.

Next time be clearer then.
Original post by ANM775
Don't have a go at me, you need to be more clear in what you are saying.

You were saying that your bf was "very attractive" when you first met him at 18 .....and by age 26 he had changed a lot ...but you are still very much into him.

That sounds like he declined from 18 to 26 but you still love him for his personality.

Next time be clearer then.

I did say that he's not the most attractive of lads but I wouldn't and never said he hit the wall at all. That was something you came to me with suggesting that was what I was referring to when it wasn't the case - so don't make assumptions.

My point to the OP was personality is key - remove my boyfriend from the equation then and lets say I met my friends girlfriend who I didn't know and thought she was plain looking. After I got to know her and her personality came through, she appeared to be prettier to me looks-wise thereafter. Her personality did that because she was still the same girl I saw when I met her and didn't know her.

When you have other things in your life to focus on, you won't have any space in your mind for worrying about girls. By that I mean career, hobbies/interests, eating well, doing exercise, travelling etc. Do things that you are passionate about and that develop you as a person - you have to be comfortable with your own company and improve your confidence before you can invite someone else into your life. Yes, all of us want to find someone but life isn't just about relationships. So what if you end up by yourself for longer than you wanted? Being an independent and self-sufficient man is of higher importance than finding validation with girls who come and go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending