The Student Room Group

Smelly Flatmate

They really smell. I walked into the kitchen today to make some food, and from the moment I opened the door I was hit with this disgusting stench. I don't even know what it is, it's that bad. It's definitely coming from them though. Every time I walk past their room, it stinks. Even when the door is shut, it absolutely reeks! They walked past me today and, oh my god, it was rancid. The thing is though, I can't really tell someone they smell. Well, I could. But it wouldn't go down well. What can I do do cancel out the smell/ maybe hint they need to wash themselves/clothes more often. Their hair is always greasy too. Honestly, it's so rank. Ugh.

Scroll to see replies

Maybe when there's loads of people around just casually say whats that smell?
Reply 2
Just be honest and tell them. I have no sense of smell so sometimes I don't realise how long I've worn something.
there was this indian dude on halls and he stunk of sweat like unbeliveably bad. no one knew what to say to the dude. cos it wasnt like u need to wear deodrant. but more like u gotta go to doctor dude take meds and change up ur lifestyle. not sure if anyoen did tell him i was on halls then for 1 semester
Buy some air freshener and douse the place with it. Also make sure you spray them to the point they start coughing. I'm sure they'll get the message.
Reply 5
wait outside their room with 2 other flatmates

when the smelly flatmate comes out, get your 2 flatmates to grab him whilst you hold him down.

Get out a can of lynx and douse the kid till the can is literally empty
Original post by romia017
They really smell. I walked into the kitchen today to make some food, and from the moment I opened the door I was hit with this disgusting stench. I don't even know what it is, it's that bad. It's definitely coming from them though. Every time I walk past their room, it stinks. Even when the door is shut, it absolutely reeks! They walked past me today and, oh my god, it was rancid. The thing is though, I can't really tell someone they smell. Well, I could. But it wouldn't go down well. What can I do do cancel out the smell/ maybe hint they need to wash themselves/clothes more often. Their hair is always greasy too. Honestly, it's so rank. Ugh.

Stop being a passive aggressive little t0sspot b1ch and just say "hey mate, you stink, showers exist for a reason". Problem solved. Grow a pair
where is this
Original post by tom123h456
where is this

Are you one of said culprits?
is this in bristol?
Reply 10

Oh man. There's nothing you can do about it. Like people that play loud music, you can say the noise is too much but this is personal in this persons case. It's a no go zone lol.
Really bad BO is unpleasant.
solution:

invite the pest control in your house

pest control thinks flatm8 is pest

flatm8 taken care of

problem solved
Reply 13
Original post by ANM775
wait outside their room with 2 other flatmates

when the smelly flatmate comes out, get your 2 flatmates to grab him whilst you hold him down.

Get out a can of lynx and douse the kid till the can is literally empty

I'd suggest bleach/hydrochloric acid, deodorant doesn't seem nearly as strong enough.
Man up and tell her.

A guy I lived with was the same. Absolutely rancid, even when he'd use the bathroom to pee it'd stink the place out. He was using a lot of illicit drugs and herbs and such. Plus rarely washed, smoked, had hair down to his chest and it was at the point of us wondering, is he ill?

Sadly some people go through their whole lives being disgusting, filthy and dirty even when they're in their forties and fifties. They simply don't care about hygeine in the same way most other people do.
It's Christmas soon, use this opportunity to buy them the full body spray and bath box set! :biggrin: I can sympathise, one of my housemates smells quite bad whenever they're in an enclosed space! You could always hint to them that it smells quite bad, not specifically blaming them.

When I've walked into the kitchen and it's smelt of BO, I've said "Damn it smells bad in here, I'm gonna open a window." It doesn't pin it specifically on one person but it certainly gets the point across.
Reply 17
Original post by DieselGate
Buy some air freshener and douse the place with it. Also make sure you spray them to the point they start coughing. I'm sure they'll get the message.

Terrible advice, nobody wants to be breathing in chemicals like that. Find another approach but this is unhealthy.
Original post by DieselGate

And possibly give him an asthma attack? Excellent.
Please tell me where so I I'll avoid the area

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending