The Student Room Group

should i see the doctor?? Period problems :/

So... this is going to be about periods; if you're not comfortable with this, then perhaps don't read this (although it won't be TMI at any point).

Basically, I'm super concerned about my cycle - I'm 17 years old (18 in a month! whoop!) and the time between my periods is about 46 days, although it's very irregular and I can go around 60 days (a whole 2 months?!) without a period.

I'd have thought that, after having my periods for around 5 years now, that they'd have evened out, however they've actually gotten worse as I've gotten older... I used to be super regular/every 28 days when I was 12-14 yo, but as I've said... it's gone pretty out of wack the older I've gotten.

Is this normal? Should I see a GP? (I've been thinking about seeing the GP anyway, but purely for pain reasons and not about the irregularity.) Please help!!
Yes. Go see a doctor! And I hope he/ she puts your mind at rest at the very least.
Reply 2
Hi :smile: Im actually the exact same age as you (my birthdays at the end of this month), it could be a couple of things that you don't have to worry about, like stress I know during my GCSEs I didn't have my period for 4 months lol. Especially if you are doing A levels atm. Are you at a healthy weight?(compared to height) cause that could affect it.
Is it more painful then you think it should be (like fainting or vomiting a lot)? If you are generally worried about it, there's really no harm in getting it checked out.
no harm in seeing a GP even if all they do is tell you is that there ain't nothing to worry about
You should visit a GP sis! I have the same problem but that's just because i'm stressed all the time.. literally, some hairs in the middle of my head have turned grey! But yeah, factors like weight, the amount of food you eat and activity level can affect your periods. If you go to a GP they may offer help with weight loss/gain, advise you to exercise a bit less intensely/a bit more or prescribe you some tablets which help to stop prolonged bleeding. I use the tablets and they work a charm :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by KatieQ
Hi :smile: Im actually the exact same age as you (my birthdays at the end of this month), it could be a couple of things that you don't have to worry about, like stress I know during my GCSEs I didn't have my period for 4 months lol. Especially if you are doing A levels atm. Are you at a healthy weight?(compared to height) cause that could affect it.
Is it more painful then you think it should be (like fainting or vomiting a lot)? If you are generally worried about it, there's really no harm in getting it checked out.

Hi there! first of all, pre- happy birthday to the both of us! :five:
And, yeah, I felt like stress could be a part of it - that was something I had in mind, but I wasn't sure if it was really that as my cycle's been odd for around 1 and a half years ish?
I'm a healthy weight - not 'thin' but certainly not obese... let's say I look 'normal' (NOT FAT-SHAMING OR SKINNY SHAMING AT ALL!), but with a tiny lil' chub... what can I say, I like food aha :perv:.
My period was a LOT more painful this time (currently on my period) which is why I wanted to see the doctor... but yeah idk. TY x
Reply 6
Original post by t0m0king
no harm in seeing a GP even if all they do is tell you is that there ain't nothing to worry about

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! ty, just really needed the initial push to go... can be quite overwhelming to go for such a personal thing, yk? :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Namjoongang
You should visit a GP sis! I have the same problem but that's just because i'm stressed all the time.. literally, some hairs in the middle of my head have turned grey! But yeah, factors like weight, the amount of food you eat and activity level can affect your periods. If you go to a GP they may offer help with weight loss/gain, advise you to exercise a bit less intensely/a bit more or prescribe you some tablets which help to stop prolonged bleeding. I use the tablets and they work a charm :smile:

ahh, ty! tbh I'm not too worried about my weight (although I do want to start eating more healthily, but not to lose weight - just to be more healthy!). thanks for the advice, and it's nice to see I'm not the only one! :heart:
Reply 8
deffo GP x I didn't get mine for like 8 months until I decided I should see a doc:rolleyes: but anyways they did tests and stuff and everyting was fine. turns out it was because i was really overweight. lost the weight and periods are now regular! its best to get it checked out. hope all is well xo
Reply 9
Original post by p_s79
deffo GP x I didn't get mine for like 8 months until I decided I should see a doc:rolleyes: but anyways they did tests and stuff and everyting was fine. turns out it was because i was really overweight. lost the weight and periods are now regular! its best to get it checked out. hope all is well xo

woah... 8 months?! that's a long time, dang! Yeh, I might go to the doctor. If I go, I'll keep y'all updated! :five:

Quick Reply

Latest