The Student Room Group

New laptop making coil whine noise, advice?

Hi everyone. I bought Lenovo IdeaPad 330S-14IKB (i5 8th Gen, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD) on 9 March at £399. When I started using it at home, I noticed it emits static noise, which I later found out to be called coil whine.

I took the laptop back to the store, and the service guy there said it must be something with the hardware, which could be running smooth for now but might be troublesome in 2-3 years' time. I exchanged it for the same model and when I started using the new one, it emits the same static, coil whine.

Should I return this completely and if so, would you have recommendation on a laptop with similar specs at £500 or under? Is the coil whine really a bad thing? I don't like the noise, because I have sensitive ears, but I'm worried I cannot find a laptop with similar specs that fits my budget like this one.

Many thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hazy_violet
Hi everyone. I bought Lenovo IdeaPad 330S-14IKB (i5 8th Gen, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD) on 9 March at £399. When I started using it at home, I noticed it emits static noise, which I later found out to be called coil whine.

I took the laptop back to the store, and the service guy there said it must be something with the hardware, which could be running smooth for now but might be troublesome in 2-3 years' time. I exchanged it for the same model and when I started using the new one, it emits the same static, coil whine.

Should I return this completely and if so, would you have recommendation on a laptop with similar specs at £500 or under? Is the coil whine really a bad thing? I don't like the noise, because I have sensitive ears, but I'm worried I cannot find a laptop with similar specs that fits my budget like this one.

Many thanks!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/CPU-Coil-Whine-Idead-700/td-p/3932694

You have 30 days to claim your money back, so if in that position I think I would just get a refund.

I would pay the bit extra or delay purchase and get something like this or look for a second hand one .
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KV9J1PG?tag=22
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/CPU-Coil-Whine-Idead-700/td-p/3932694

You have 30 days to claim your money back, so if in that position I think I would just get a refund.

I would pay the bit extra or delay purchase and get something like this or look for a second hand one .
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KV9J1PG?tag=22

Hi, yes I think I'm planning to return the laptop and get a refund, at least after one essay and one field trip next week is done. I think even if the coil whine doesn't affect the performance of the laptop, it will annoy my ears too much in the long run. Am interested in the Huawei but I'd feel a bit more comfortable with a more 'mainstream' brands that are more familiar (not that I'm saying the Huawei isn't good, though!).

Tbh I'm not very tech-savvy and I've never used any Ryzen laptop, so I'm still looking at my options. May I ask why the 4GB RAM is, from what I gather from your comment, "almost but not quite"?
I would definitely need a new laptop by April because I have so many deadlines in May. Regarding the price, I think if it's necessary I'm willing to stretch til £570-ish. I've been doing some Google search and I'm interested in either Dell or HP, would you recommend these brands? I especially am interested in:

1) HP 14-ck0599sa (https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-ck0599sa-14-intel-core-i7-laptop-256-gb-ssd-gold-10180995-pdt.html)
2) HP Pavilion 14-ce1999na (https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=5AS55EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB)
3) Dell Inspiron 13 5000 (https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-13-5000-13-3-intel-core-i5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10174162-pdt.html).

Frankly the Dell one is more than £600, but I'm simply looking at the currently available options. Any suggestion as to when in UK is best to buy laptops? I'm an international student so I'm unfamiliar with it, many thanks!! :smile:
Hi, yes I think I'm planning to return the laptop and get a refund, at least after one essay and one field trip next week is done. I think even if the coil whine doesn't affect the performance of the laptop, it will annoy my ears too much in the long run. Am interested in the Huawei but I'd feel a bit more comfortable with a more 'mainstream' brands that are more familiar (not that I'm saying the Huawei isn't good, though!).

1. Get money back.
2. Always read reviews before you buy the model concerned.
3. Dell refurbished are fine.
4. No worries about the Huawei, just better value for money.
5. PC world and JL are some of the few shops that still have laptops you can touch and feel to get an idea of size, weight and build quality.
6. Be sure to get some form of student discount.

Many thanks!

i dont think thats coil whine, coil whine occurs in gpu's (mostly under load) and in power supplies. neither of which is in the laptop assuming you have an external power supply.
does the noise change pitch as you do stuff on your computer? do you have a recording of it?
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
1. Get money back.
2. Always read reviews before you buy the model concerned.
3. Dell refurbished are fine.
4. No worries about the Huawei, just better value for money.
5. PC world and JL are some of the few shops that still have laptops you can touch and feel to get an idea of size, weight and build quality.
6. Be sure to get some form of student discount.

I deffo learned my lesson and am scouring through loads of online forums and reviews of the laptops that I'd mentioned before hahaha :biggrin: Is JL = John Lewis?
Reply 6
Original post by Gent2324
i dont think thats coil whine, coil whine occurs in gpu's (mostly under load) and in power supplies. neither of which is in the laptop assuming you have an external power supply.
does the noise change pitch as you do stuff on your computer? do you have a recording of it?

I couldn't upload it, but it definitely sounds like coil whine from this video (https://youtu.be/QM10MCBM3y8).
I couldn't upload it, but it definitely sounds like coil whine from this video (https://youtu.be/QM10MCBM3y8).

cpus dont have coils, sounds like a loose connection or something rubbing against another component. likely a manufacturing defect common amongst a few of the machines made at the same time.
Reply 8
Thank you very much for so many advice!!! Seriously, it really helps me. I do agree, I usually prefer to know how the actual product is like, physically, before deciding whether to buy then and there or online. I've found another HP that seems interesting and definitely fits my budget:
HP 14-cm0011na (https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-14-cm0011na-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-14-full-hd-silver/p3659632)

It has AMD Ryzen 5, which I think you said was the equivalent of i5? I don't know if it's equivalent to the 8th gen of i5 or not, though. But the RAM and size-wise is very good for me.

I'm now Googling about that HP and the Dell 13 5000 (which I found in John Lewis at £579, dunno how or why its JL price ould be cheaper than in the Dell official store), but I feel like although I've found reviews on the Currys and JL websites, there hasn't been many other reviews in other websites. It's especially weird because I searched HP online forums and found not a lot of mentions about HP 14- series. Would it still be advisable to purchase one of them?
Reply 9
Hi, went to the nearby John Lewis to look at the laptops there and the staff was deffo very nice and understanding! They had the HP (the one with Ryzen) and the Dell 13 5000 in stock so I could see how they are, physically. Dell definitely wins because it looks more sleek and professional compared to the HP one haha.

What's funny is that the staff also recommended the Lenovo Ideapad 330s, and he was surprised when I told him of the coil whine noise issue.

One staff recommended me the Dell Inspiron 14 5480 (https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-inspiron-14-5480-laptop-intel-core-i5-processor-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-14-full-hd-silver/p3911288?sku=237889165&&s_kwcid=2dxLIA&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpun_95mC4QIVzrftCh3MxAM3EAQYASABEgLmKPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds). It looks promising and fairly similar to 13 5000.

I think it's quite a new release, priced at £609.99 (cheaper than 13 5000 which is £649) until 28 March. After that date, it'll be priced at £679. I'm a bit worried of buying it since, again, it hasn't got that many reviews due to being very new, but I really liked it. May I ask what do you think about the Inspiron 14 5480? Again, many thanks!!
Acsel thank you very much for all the advice! I'll post again here once I buy the Dell 14 5480. Also, I don't know how significant it is or not, but I think the 5480 has i5 8265U processor and has the maximum speed of 3.9 Ghz, which is slightly faster than the 3.4 GHz maximum speed of i5 8250U. No idea how significant that is but it's good to know haha. Will deffo post here again once the Dell is purchased!
Acsel thank you very much for all the advice! I'll post again here once I buy the Dell 14 5480. Also, I don't know how significant it is or not, but I think the 5480 has i5 8265U processor and has the maximum speed of 3.9 Ghz, which is slightly faster than the 3.4 GHz maximum speed of i5 8250U. No idea how significant that is but it's good to know haha. Will deffo post here again once the Dell is purchased!

Have you looked at the HP Netbook series?
Original post by MiszShorTea765
Have you looked at the HP Netbook series?

Hi, I've Googled it and found not many results. Perhaps you meant the smaller HP laptops like HP Stream and Chromebook? They're great because they're easy to carry but I feel they won't suit my needs.
Hi, I've Googled it and found not many results. Perhaps you meant the smaller HP laptops like HP Stream and Chromebook? They're great because they're easy to carry but I feel they won't suit my needs.

Yes the HP Stream series. It does everything a normal laptop does but on a smaller screen. CPU is fast too.

I thought I would give you another option before you purchase the Dell.
Original post by MiszShorTea765
Yes the HP Stream series. It does everything a normal laptop does but on a smaller screen. CPU is fast too.

I thought I would give you another option before you purchase the Dell.

Thank you for the suggestion, I really appreciate it! :smile: I think most of the processors in HP Stream are still Pentium/Celeron, and I prefer to go for i5 or equivalent or higher.
Hi everyone, there's a question I wanna ask. Today I plugged my Samsung phone to the Lenovo that has coil whine and somehow, the coil whine stops. That happens no matter which USB port that I stick the cable data into (hopefully I'm not making anyone confused here). However, once I unplug the phone, the coil whine starts again. I try sticking my 8GB flashdisk to the USB ports and coil whine remains; it's only gone when my phone is plugged in.

I'm still 90% sure to get a refund and buy the Dell. However, I'm just curious if you guys have any idea as to why the coil whine would stop when a phone is plugged in.
Hi everyone! Just wanna update you guys that I couldn't get a full refund for the noisy Lenovo, and I traded it in for HP Pavilion x360 (https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-x360-14-cd0508sa-14-intel-core-i5-2-in-1-256-gb-ssd-silver-10180939-pdt.html). This one's got no coil whine (thankfully), but I guess HP laptops have loud, hyperactive fan? It also gets warm very quickly despite me using it for the first time. Have no desire to return it or anything because I'm too tired to go back and forth again, but would be so grateful if anyone has tips or anything about it :smile:
After the coil whine fiasco, I'm totally okay with fan noise. I've slightly reduced the maximum power processor performance so hopefully that helps with the heat. I don't intend to use it for heavy duty gaming, just lots of Word, opening PDF files, browsing, and Netflix.
Yeah i know. I was also very perplexed because I had been able to exchange it on the grounds that it was faulty, but they said they cannot give a full refund because while it's an issue, it's not affecting the laptop's performance. It baffled me and I kept on insisting but still.

Acsel, thank you very much though for all the advice. I genuinely appreciate it. I am planning to not abuse the new laptop and hope it lasts me for much longer than my old one (the reason I needed a new laptop in the first place).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending