New laptop making coil whine noise, advice? Watch

hazy_violet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone. I bought Lenovo IdeaPad 330S-14IKB (i5 8th Gen, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD) on 9 March at £399. When I started using it at home, I noticed it emits static noise, which I later found out to be called coil whine.

I took the laptop back to the store, and the service guy there said it must be something with the hardware, which could be running smooth for now but might be troublesome in 2-3 years' time. I exchanged it for the same model and when I started using the new one, it emits the same static, coil whine.

Should I return this completely and if so, would you have recommendation on a laptop with similar specs at £500 or under? Is the coil whine really a bad thing? I don't like the noise, because I have sensitive ears, but I'm worried I cannot find a laptop with similar specs that fits my budget like this one.

Many thanks!
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hazy_violet)
Hi everyone. I bought Lenovo IdeaPad 330S-14IKB (i5 8th Gen, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD) on 9 March at £399. When I started using it at home, I noticed it emits static noise, which I later found out to be called coil whine.

I took the laptop back to the store, and the service guy there said it must be something with the hardware, which could be running smooth for now but might be troublesome in 2-3 years' time. I exchanged it for the same model and when I started using the new one, it emits the same static, coil whine.

Should I return this completely and if so, would you have recommendation on a laptop with similar specs at £500 or under? Is the coil whine really a bad thing? I don't like the noise, because I have sensitive ears, but I'm worried I cannot find a laptop with similar specs that fits my budget like this one.

Many thanks!
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-...0/td-p/3932694

You have 30 days to claim your money back, so if in that position I think I would just get a refund.

I would pay the bit extra or delay purchase and get something like this or look for a second hand one .
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KV9J1PG?tag=22
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Many thanks!
Since it's happened to 2 devices now, I'd be returning it and not getting another. Unless you are an experienced electronic engineer, there's nothing you can do. Even then, you aren't going to be solving the problem. Unless Lenovo push an update to fix the coil whine, it's not going away.

Since you're happy to spend up to £500, I'd recommend looking for a laptop that's a little better. An 8th gen i5 (probably an i5 8250U) paired with only 4GB of RAM is really unbalanced. I'd be looking to get that up to 8GB of RAM, but spec wise it looks fine besides that.

Do you desperately need a laptop right now? Prices have jumped up a bit and there aren't any real good deals available at the moment. If you're happy to wait until a good deal comes along, you can get a laptop along the lines I mentioned for around £500. Otherwise you're looking at £500-600. I didn't have a great look, but this Refurbished Dell Inspiron is above the £500 mark and it's refurbished. If you're able to wait for a good deal, it makes a lot more sense than buying a subpar device with only 4GB of RAM. Seems to be a similar lack of availability for Ryzen 5 2500U laptops (the AMD equivalent to an Intel i5 8250U processor). So waiting is really the best advice at this point. Even without the coil whine, I'd be hesitant recommending a device with only 4GB of RAM for any sort of longevity.
hazy_violet
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-...0/td-p/3932694

You have 30 days to claim your money back, so if in that position I think I would just get a refund.

I would pay the bit extra or delay purchase and get something like this or look for a second hand one .
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KV9J1PG?tag=22
Hi, yes I think I'm planning to return the laptop and get a refund, at least after one essay and one field trip next week is done. I think even if the coil whine doesn't affect the performance of the laptop, it will annoy my ears too much in the long run. Am interested in the Huawei but I'd feel a bit more comfortable with a more 'mainstream' brands that are more familiar (not that I'm saying the Huawei isn't good, though!).

(Original post by Acsel)
Since it's happened to 2 devices now, I'd be returning it and not getting another. Unless you are an experienced electronic engineer, there's nothing you can do. Even then, you aren't going to be solving the problem. Unless Lenovo push an update to fix the coil whine, it's not going away.

Since you're happy to spend up to £500, I'd recommend looking for a laptop that's a little better. An 8th gen i5 (probably an i5 8250U) paired with only 4GB of RAM is really unbalanced. I'd be looking to get that up to 8GB of RAM, but spec wise it looks fine besides that.

Do you desperately need a laptop right now? Prices have jumped up a bit and there aren't any real good deals available at the moment. If you're happy to wait until a good deal comes along, you can get a laptop along the lines I mentioned for around £500. Otherwise you're looking at £500-600. I didn't have a great look, but this Refurbished Dell Inspiron is above the £500 mark and it's refurbished. If you're able to wait for a good deal, it makes a lot more sense than buying a subpar device with only 4GB of RAM. Seems to be a similar lack of availability for Ryzen 5 2500U laptops (the AMD equivalent to an Intel i5 8250U processor). So waiting is really the best advice at this point. Even without the coil whine, I'd be hesitant recommending a device with only 4GB of RAM for any sort of longevity.
Tbh I'm not very tech-savvy and I've never used any Ryzen laptop, so I'm still looking at my options. May I ask why the 4GB RAM is, from what I gather from your comment, "almost but not quite"?
I would definitely need a new laptop by April because I have so many deadlines in May. Regarding the price, I think if it's necessary I'm willing to stretch til £570-ish. I've been doing some Google search and I'm interested in either Dell or HP, would you recommend these brands? I especially am interested in:

1) HP 14-ck0599sa (https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...80995-pdt.html)
2) HP Pavilion 14-ce1999na (https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/P...pt=ABU&sel=NTB)
3) Dell Inspiron 13 5000 (https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...74162-pdt.html).

Frankly the Dell one is more than £600, but I'm simply looking at the currently available options. Any suggestion as to when in UK is best to buy laptops? I'm an international student so I'm unfamiliar with it, many thanks!!
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
Hi, yes I think I'm planning to return the laptop and get a refund, at least after one essay and one field trip next week is done. I think even if the coil whine doesn't affect the performance of the laptop, it will annoy my ears too much in the long run. Am interested in the Huawei but I'd feel a bit more comfortable with a more 'mainstream' brands that are more familiar (not that I'm saying the Huawei isn't good, though!).
1. Get money back.
2. Always read reviews before you buy the model concerned.
3. Dell refurbished are fine.
4. No worries about the Huawei, just better value for money.
5. PC world and JL are some of the few shops that still have laptops you can touch and feel to get an idea of size, weight and build quality.
6. Be sure to get some form of student discount.
Gent2324
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Many thanks!
i dont think thats coil whine, coil whine occurs in gpu's (mostly under load) and in power supplies. neither of which is in the laptop assuming you have an external power supply.
does the noise change pitch as you do stuff on your computer? do you have a recording of it?
hazy_violet
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
1. Get money back.
2. Always read reviews before you buy the model concerned.
3. Dell refurbished are fine.
4. No worries about the Huawei, just better value for money.
5. PC world and JL are some of the few shops that still have laptops you can touch and feel to get an idea of size, weight and build quality.
6. Be sure to get some form of student discount.
I deffo learned my lesson and am scouring through loads of online forums and reviews of the laptops that I'd mentioned before hahaha Is JL = John Lewis?
hazy_violet
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gent2324)
i dont think thats coil whine, coil whine occurs in gpu's (mostly under load) and in power supplies. neither of which is in the laptop assuming you have an external power supply.
does the noise change pitch as you do stuff on your computer? do you have a recording of it?
I couldn't upload it, but it definitely sounds like coil whine from this video (https://youtu.be/QM10MCBM3y8).
Gent2324
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I couldn't upload it, but it definitely sounds like coil whine from this video (https://youtu.be/QM10MCBM3y8).
cpus dont have coils, sounds like a loose connection or something rubbing against another component. likely a manufacturing defect common amongst a few of the machines made at the same time.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tbh I'm not very tech-savvy and I've never used any Ryzen laptop, so I'm still looking at my options. May I ask why the 4GB RAM is, from what I gather from your comment, "almost but not quite"?
Ryzen based laptops are just another brand of CPU. You basically have Intel (who have always been dominant) and AMD (who have historically not been as good but are now on par with Intel). Which one you go for doesn't really make a ton of difference.

I wrote a laptop guide here which gives a fairly simple breakdown of what I recommend looking for and why. But the tl:dr is that RAM is like your table. Bigger table means you can do more work without constantly having to move things around. That's basically what RAM is, stuff gets loaded into RAM before you can work on it. Not having enough RAM means your OS (Windows in this case) is spending more time freeing up space when you could be working. 4GB is enough to get work done, but it's the absolute minimum I'd be considering. Even just writing this reply, my 16GB RAM laptop is using 32%, so a reasonable chunk over 4GB. Windows will make do if it isn't available, but I'd certainly recommend looking to get 8GB because that's the sweet spot. Anything more is a waste of money, anything less puts you at risk of running out.

Worth noting, it's not the end of the world if you don't have enough RAM, it just means your laptop slows down. But it's something that's perfectly avoidable. We don't know what RAM requirements will look like in the future, but 8GB is widely considered to be the most appropriate amount for the average user because it offers the best mix of performance, longevity and value.

I would definitely need a new laptop by April because I have so many deadlines in May. Regarding the price, I think if it's necessary I'm willing to stretch til £570-ish. I've been doing some Google search and I'm interested in either Dell or HP, would you recommend these brands? I especially am interested in:
Will offer my thoughts on teh 3 laptops below:

Solid laptop, although a slight waste of money. The i7 doesn't add a drastic performance bump over an i5 processor, and probably nothing you'd notice. That said, it's a fairly good price for an i7 8550U laptop, so I can't really complain.

2) HP Pavilion 14-ce1999na (https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/P...pt=ABU&sel=NTB)
When you add the discount, the £559 price is about what I'd expect to pay for a laptop like this. It's a little on the expensive side though (ideally you'd be looking at around £20-30 cheaper at this spec) and it's difficult to recommend when i7 laptop above is basically identical but has an i7. £20 to upgrade to an i7 is a good price.

3) Dell Inspiron 13 5000 (https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...74162-pdt.html).
At a glance, this one looks unnecessarily expensive. However you're paying extra to get a smaller 13.3 inch model rather than the 14 inch model above. Spec wise it's perfect, price wise it's expensive. Especially considering 14 inch laptops are neither overly large or much heavier by comparison. However, as a brand I prefer Dell as their laptops seem to be more reliable in my experience. Up to you if you consider this worth the extra cost.

Worth noting, Dell offer student discount and often have deals on their own website. Student discount gives you a default 10% off, but there are often other offers available. If you are able to buy this laptop from Dell directly at this price, it drops down to around £590 with discount.

Frankly the Dell one is more than £600, but I'm simply looking at the currently available options. Any suggestion as to when in UK is best to buy laptops? I'm an international student so I'm unfamiliar with it, many thanks!!
In terms of brick and mortar stores, you have 2 main options: Currys and John Lewis. Currys are fine if you know what you want and don't let them sell you the wrong product. I don't have a lot of respect for the tech knowledge or customer services from my local experience, but you'll get a laptop. John Lewis tend to have higher prices, but also tend to have a better "buying experience". Not something I personally care about but it matters to some people. Their range is often reduced though and they don't always make the tech details clear. They may label a device as having an i5 for example, without telling you what model which is fairly important to avoid getting outdated hardware.

In terms of online, Amazon is an obvious go to but you won't get many truly good deals. Both Currys and John Lewis have online stores but you don't get to try things out. Personally I'd want to buy direct from the manufacturer though (Dell, HP, etc.). That's the best way of getting student discount, and my experience with Dell is that it was super easy. Normally I recommend someone find a few laptops they like, go to a physical store to try them out and then buy them directly online with student discount. As an international student, IDK if that's an option for you but it is best to try laptops out before buying. You don't want to get a laptop and find you hate the keyboard and trackpad.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
Coil whine is often the catch all term for any type of electromagnetically excited acoustic noise. The phenomenom often isn't the result of actual coils causing coil whine (especially as many laptops don't have coils to begin with as you say) but occurs all the same in devices without GPUs and PSUs. The Dell XPS 13 lineup has been very hit and miss with regards to coil whine; my first XPS was fine, then exhibited coil whine which later went away with a BIOS update. The noise in the video is definitely what would commonly be described as coil whine, even if that isn't a technically accurate term.
hazy_violet
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Ryzen based laptops are just another brand of CPU. You basically have Intel (who have always been dominant) and AMD (who have historically not been as good but are now on par with Intel). Which one you go for doesn't really make a ton of difference.

I wrote a laptop guide here which gives a fairly simple breakdown of what I recommend looking for and why. But the tl:dr is that RAM is like your table. Bigger table means you can do more work without constantly having to move things around. That's basically what RAM is, stuff gets loaded into RAM before you can work on it. Not having enough RAM means your OS (Windows in this case) is spending more time freeing up space when you could be working. 4GB is enough to get work done, but it's the absolute minimum I'd be considering. Even just writing this reply, my 16GB RAM laptop is using 32%, so a reasonable chunk over 4GB. Windows will make do if it isn't available, but I'd certainly recommend looking to get 8GB because that's the sweet spot. Anything more is a waste of money, anything less puts you at risk of running out.

Worth noting, it's not the end of the world if you don't have enough RAM, it just means your laptop slows down. But it's something that's perfectly avoidable. We don't know what RAM requirements will look like in the future, but 8GB is widely considered to be the most appropriate amount for the average user because it offers the best mix of performance, longevity and value.

Will offer my thoughts on teh 3 laptops below:

Solid laptop, although a slight waste of money. The i7 doesn't add a drastic performance bump over an i5 processor, and probably nothing you'd notice. That said, it's a fairly good price for an i7 8550U laptop, so I can't really complain.

When you add the discount, the £559 price is about what I'd expect to pay for a laptop like this. It's a little on the expensive side though (ideally you'd be looking at around £20-30 cheaper at this spec) and it's difficult to recommend when i7 laptop above is basically identical but has an i7. £20 to upgrade to an i7 is a good price.

At a glance, this one looks unnecessarily expensive. However you're paying extra to get a smaller 13.3 inch model rather than the 14 inch model above. Spec wise it's perfect, price wise it's expensive. Especially considering 14 inch laptops are neither overly large or much heavier by comparison. However, as a brand I prefer Dell as their laptops seem to be more reliable in my experience. Up to you if you consider this worth the extra cost.

Worth noting, Dell offer student discount and often have deals on their own website. Student discount gives you a default 10% off, but there are often other offers available. If you are able to buy this laptop from Dell directly at this price, it drops down to around £590 with discount.

In terms of brick and mortar stores, you have 2 main options: Currys and John Lewis. Currys are fine if you know what you want and don't let them sell you the wrong product. I don't have a lot of respect for the tech knowledge or customer services from my local experience, but you'll get a laptop. John Lewis tend to have higher prices, but also tend to have a better "buying experience". Not something I personally care about but it matters to some people. Their range is often reduced though and they don't always make the tech details clear. They may label a device as having an i5 for example, without telling you what model which is fairly important to avoid getting outdated hardware.

In terms of online, Amazon is an obvious go to but you won't get many truly good deals. Both Currys and John Lewis have online stores but you don't get to try things out. Personally I'd want to buy direct from the manufacturer though (Dell, HP, etc.). That's the best way of getting student discount, and my experience with Dell is that it was super easy. Normally I recommend someone find a few laptops they like, go to a physical store to try them out and then buy them directly online with student discount. As an international student, IDK if that's an option for you but it is best to try laptops out before buying. You don't want to get a laptop and find you hate the keyboard and trackpad.
Thank you very much for so many advice!!! Seriously, it really helps me. I do agree, I usually prefer to know how the actual product is like, physically, before deciding whether to buy then and there or online. I've found another HP that seems interesting and definitely fits my budget:
HP 14-cm0011na (https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-14-cm00...ilver/p3659632)

It has AMD Ryzen 5, which I think you said was the equivalent of i5? I don't know if it's equivalent to the 8th gen of i5 or not, though. But the RAM and size-wise is very good for me.

I'm now Googling about that HP and the Dell 13 5000 (which I found in John Lewis at £579, dunno how or why its JL price ould be cheaper than in the Dell official store), but I feel like although I've found reviews on the Currys and JL websites, there hasn't been many other reviews in other websites. It's especially weird because I searched HP online forums and found not a lot of mentions about HP 14- series. Would it still be advisable to purchase one of them?
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you very much for so many advice!!! Seriously, it really helps me. I do agree, I usually prefer to know how the actual product is like, physically, before deciding whether to buy then and there or online. I've found another HP that seems interesting and definitely fits my budget:
HP 14-cm0011na (https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-14-cm00...ilver/p3659632)

It has AMD Ryzen 5, which I think you said was the equivalent of i5? I don't know if it's equivalent to the 8th gen of i5 or not, though. But the RAM and size-wise is very good for me.

I'm now Googling about that HP and the Dell 13 5000 (which I found in John Lewis at £579, dunno how or why its JL price ould be cheaper than in the Dell official store), but I feel like although I've found reviews on the Currys and JL websites, there hasn't been many other reviews in other websites. It's especially weird because I searched HP online forums and found not a lot of mentions about HP 14- series. Would it still be advisable to purchase one of them?
Looks like a perfect laptop to me, the Ryzen 5 2500U is the equivalent to an Intel i5 8250U so no concerns there. £500 looks about right for this, since AMD Ryzen laptops are often a little cheaper than Intel laptops due to the minor performance difference. Everything looks good on that one though. Being a lightweight 14 inch is good too

Dell do weird things with their pricing on their website. One minute the price will be oddly higher than third party resellers like Currys and John Lewis, then they'll drop prices and become cheaper. They're a bit all over the place which means you do have to faff with waiting and constantly looking for deals. You're going to struggle to find lots of reviews on these budget laptops, a lot of people simply don't review them. Furthermore there's usually dozens of variations, meaning you won't find a review of the exact model you want. HP make that even worse by using weird produce names (a Dell Inspiron 5000 is much more meaningful than HP 14-CM0011NA). I don't think you really have anything to worry about, coil whine is already fairly uncommon and I would imagine you just happened to get 2 laptops from a bad patch with the Lenovo. If you do have any problems though, John Lewis are good at handling returns and faulty goods from what I've heard. There's no more risk buying this HP than any other laptop, so I'd say try and get hands on to make sure you like it then go grab one.

The only reason I'd consider the Dell is if you wanted a 13.3 inch device. Some people value the larger screen you'll get with the HP, while others value the smaller and lighter design of a 13.3 inch. Up to you if you consider it worth the extra price. My personal preference is to pay a little more and go with the Dell, but that's purely my own bias. It's unfair of me to compare the cheap HP devices I've owned to my more expensive Dell devices. That said, when I'm browsing in the shop I do often find the Dell devices look and feel a bit nicer.
hazy_violet
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Looks like a perfect laptop to me, the Ryzen 5 2500U is the equivalent to an Intel i5 8250U so no concerns there. £500 looks about right for this, since AMD Ryzen laptops are often a little cheaper than Intel laptops due to the minor performance difference. Everything looks good on that one though. Being a lightweight 14 inch is good too

Dell do weird things with their pricing on their website. One minute the price will be oddly higher than third party resellers like Currys and John Lewis, then they'll drop prices and become cheaper. They're a bit all over the place which means you do have to faff with waiting and constantly looking for deals. You're going to struggle to find lots of reviews on these budget laptops, a lot of people simply don't review them. Furthermore there's usually dozens of variations, meaning you won't find a review of the exact model you want. HP make that even worse by using weird produce names (a Dell Inspiron 5000 is much more meaningful than HP 14-CM0011NA). I don't think you really have anything to worry about, coil whine is already fairly uncommon and I would imagine you just happened to get 2 laptops from a bad patch with the Lenovo. If you do have any problems though, John Lewis are good at handling returns and faulty goods from what I've heard. There's no more risk buying this HP than any other laptop, so I'd say try and get hands on to make sure you like it then go grab one.

The only reason I'd consider the Dell is if you wanted a 13.3 inch device. Some people value the larger screen you'll get with the HP, while others value the smaller and lighter design of a 13.3 inch. Up to you if you consider it worth the extra price. My personal preference is to pay a little more and go with the Dell, but that's purely my own bias. It's unfair of me to compare the cheap HP devices I've owned to my more expensive Dell devices. That said, when I'm browsing in the shop I do often find the Dell devices look and feel a bit nicer.

Hi, went to the nearby John Lewis to look at the laptops there and the staff was deffo very nice and understanding! They had the HP (the one with Ryzen) and the Dell 13 5000 in stock so I could see how they are, physically. Dell definitely wins because it looks more sleek and professional compared to the HP one haha.

What's funny is that the staff also recommended the Lenovo Ideapad 330s, and he was surprised when I told him of the coil whine noise issue.

One staff recommended me the Dell Inspiron 14 5480 (https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-inspi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds). It looks promising and fairly similar to 13 5000.

I think it's quite a new release, priced at £609.99 (cheaper than 13 5000 which is £649) until 28 March. After that date, it'll be priced at £679. I'm a bit worried of buying it since, again, it hasn't got that many reviews due to being very new, but I really liked it. May I ask what do you think about the Inspiron 14 5480? Again, many thanks!!
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
One staff recommended me the Dell Inspiron 14 5480 (https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-inspi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds). It looks promising and fairly similar to 13 5000.

I think it's quite a new release, priced at £609.99 (cheaper than 13 5000 which is £649) until 28 March. After that date, it'll be priced at £679. I'm a bit worried of buying it since, again, it hasn't got that many reviews due to being very new, but I really liked it. May I ask what do you think about the Inspiron 14 5480? Again, many thanks!!
I have to agree, that one does look promising. It's both cheaper and slightly more modern, the only trade off being it's a bit bigger and heavier (with size not necessarily be a bad thing).

If you're happy to spend it, I'd go for the 14 5480 model you found, since it's cheaper and either identical or better to the Inspiron 5000 besides the size. IMO having a 14 inch screen is nicer, the extra half inch or so does make a difference. Don't worry about lack of reviews, they're not going to protect you from random defects like coil whine. If you're happy with it, and you've had some hands on experience then I'd go for it. If you're really unlucky and get another model with a defect then no amount of research would have prevented that. But you're going for a totally different brand from a different shop. Odds are you'll be fine.
hazy_violet
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
I have to agree, that one does look promising. It's both cheaper and slightly more modern, the only trade off being it's a bit bigger and heavier (with size not necessarily be a bad thing).

If you're happy to spend it, I'd go for the 14 5480 model you found, since it's cheaper and either identical or better to the Inspiron 5000 besides the size. IMO having a 14 inch screen is nicer, the extra half inch or so does make a difference. Don't worry about lack of reviews, they're not going to protect you from random defects like coil whine. If you're happy with it, and you've had some hands on experience then I'd go for it. If you're really unlucky and get another model with a defect then no amount of research would have prevented that. But you're going for a totally different brand from a different shop. Odds are you'll be fine.
Acsel thank you very much for all the advice! I'll post again here once I buy the Dell 14 5480. Also, I don't know how significant it is or not, but I think the 5480 has i5 8265U processor and has the maximum speed of 3.9 Ghz, which is slightly faster than the 3.4 GHz maximum speed of i5 8250U. No idea how significant that is but it's good to know haha. Will deffo post here again once the Dell is purchased!
MiszShorTea765
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Acsel thank you very much for all the advice! I'll post again here once I buy the Dell 14 5480. Also, I don't know how significant it is or not, but I think the 5480 has i5 8265U processor and has the maximum speed of 3.9 Ghz, which is slightly faster than the 3.4 GHz maximum speed of i5 8250U. No idea how significant that is but it's good to know haha. Will deffo post here again once the Dell is purchased!
Have you looked at the HP Netbook series?
hazy_violet
Rep:
?
(Original post by MiszShorTea765)
Have you looked at the HP Netbook series?
Hi, I've Googled it and found not many results. Perhaps you meant the smaller HP laptops like HP Stream and Chromebook? They're great because they're easy to carry but I feel they won't suit my needs.
MiszShorTea765
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I've Googled it and found not many results. Perhaps you meant the smaller HP laptops like HP Stream and Chromebook? They're great because they're easy to carry but I feel they won't suit my needs.
Yes the HP Stream series. It does everything a normal laptop does but on a smaller screen. CPU is fast too.

I thought I would give you another option before you purchase the Dell.
hazy_violet
Rep:
?
(Original post by MiszShorTea765)
Yes the HP Stream series. It does everything a normal laptop does but on a smaller screen. CPU is fast too.

I thought I would give you another option before you purchase the Dell.
Thank you for the suggestion, I really appreciate it! I think most of the processors in HP Stream are still Pentium/Celeron, and I prefer to go for i5 or equivalent or higher.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How old were you when you first saw porn?

I've never seen it (221)
22.97%
Before I was 12 (346)
35.97%
13 (153)
15.9%
14 (111)
11.54%
15 (56)
5.82%
16 (36)
3.74%