The Student Room Group

Graduated 2 years ago with no internships - is it too late for me now?

Hi everyone!

I graduated in Fashion and Textiles in July 2017. I've interned once for a very small company since (for 3 months) and am finding no luck at all with jobs or internships. I placed in an international fashion competition and got an interview interning with Vivienne Westwood in October, but no luck. The clock is ticking and I'm becoming upset and frustrated with my lack of attention from employers.

I know that internships are life in the life of a fashion student, but I really couldn't afford to do my studies AND work AND intern too. I'm only able to intern once I'm out of university, but I fear too much time has passed since graduating for me to get an internship (due to laws changing about hiring graduates as interns), let alone a job. Is it too late?
Reply 1
Hey, where are you based exactly?
Reply 2
Hi! In Portsmouth.
Reply 3
Oh I see, I thought you were in London, there are a lot of opportunities here in terms of Fashion Placements. I was thinking of maybe having a chat with you and referring you to one that I've done and one I'm doing now depending on what you're looking for, but it wouldn't work since you're outside of London. I know how hard and frustrating it can be. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope things work out for you x
Original post by Shillygoat
Hi! In Portsmouth.
Reply 4
I actually have people I can stay with in London for placements! I've interned in London before, staying with some family there. I'd love to discuss this further with you!
Original post by Alice-L
Oh I see, I thought you were in London, there are a lot of opportunities here in terms of Fashion Placements. I was thinking of maybe having a chat with you and referring you to one that I've done and one I'm doing now depending on what you're looking for, but it wouldn't work since you're outside of London. I know how hard and frustrating it can be. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope things work out for you x
Reply 5
Aw that's great, here is my number 07955702580. I'm currently working so maybe just send a quick message and I can give you a call later on today. Let me know what time works best for you
Reply 6
Original post by Shillygoat
Hi everyone!

I graduated in Fashion and Textiles in July 2017. I've interned once for a very small company since (for 3 months) and am finding no luck at all with jobs or internships. I placed in an international fashion competition and got an interview interning with Vivienne Westwood in October, but no luck. The clock is ticking and I'm becoming upset and frustrated with my lack of attention from employers.

I know that internships are life in the life of a fashion student, but I really couldn't afford to do my studies AND work AND intern too. I'm only able to intern once I'm out of university, but I fear too much time has passed since graduating for me to get an internship (due to laws changing about hiring graduates as interns), let alone a job. Is it too late?

What sort of roles have you been applying for, and do you have a portfolio (preferably an online one)?

Original post by Alice-L
Aw that's great, here is my number xxxxxx. I'm currently working so maybe just send a quick message and I can give you a call later on today. Let me know what time works best for you

Don't post your number on a public forum (which many people can see). It's kinda the rule here to prevent others from being harassed and for personal safety
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending