The Student Room Group

religion and LQBTQ+

I am religious and feel oppressed in opinion as the majority of my friends are gay. I feel so restricted in how I may express myself when they consistently state that we bring outdated ideas and violent actions to society. I know that discrimination is something they face and I help them fight that but I sometimes feel that they don't realise it goes both ways.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Your gay friends are right. Discrimination, at least in Catholic Church, is objective and is officially declared by the Catechism of the Catholic Church. You can read here, in paragraph 2358: The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered...”. By officially declaring that homosexuality is objectively disordered, Catholic Church approves an official discrimination. This is not the opinion of a pope, or a bishop, or a priest; if it was the Bible, we could say that Bible needs to be interpreted, considering the old periods when it was written; but this is an official public text published in 1992 and its declaration is a serious act of discrimination, making a difference between people whose inclinations are to be considered “ordered” and people whose inclinations are to be considered “disordered”. How would you like being officially declared “disordered”?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by alex sampson
I am religious and feel oppressed

Religious people have been going on about feeling oppressed since time immemorial.

outdated ideas

I don't know what your ideas are, but socially conservative religious people often have outdated ideas regarding gay people and homosexuality which simply do not stand up to rational scrutiny. This is why they've repeatedly lost the debate over gay issues in so many countries around the world over the last 20 years.

violent actions to society

Many societies have a very poor track record when it comes to violence against gay people and this often had a religious justification. Sadly this still goes on in more regressive parts of the world.

I know that discrimination is something they face and I help them fight that but I sometimes feel that they don't realise it goes both ways.

Pointing out that you have outdated ideas is not someone discriminating against you.
I just want to clear a few things, in no where in the bible does it explicitly state homosexuality is a sin, also if that’s the excuse having tattoos, having abortions, drinking alcohol, and divorcing are all bad too. I think there is a lot of hatred of gay people and it’s most down to “religion”. Not religious myself but if god taught people to love and forgive then surely people should be accepting.

Scientifically homosexuality makes sense and as more science has come through this is where the ideas of the bible have been called out as outdated along with other scientific evidence. They are entitled to an opinion as you are entitled to yours. It makes me so sad that people are still facing discrimination for being gay and people’s excuses are down to religion yet it’s not a choice it’s how you are born. People with strong religious peers are being taught being gay is bad yet it’s not bad it’s something we as a society need to start accepting because it’s not bad it’s purely down to evolution.
Something that always confuses me about homophobic discrimination is that homosexuality at the end of the day it’s preference of sex and why do people care so much as to what gender people are attracted to ?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
Religious people have been going on about feeling oppressed since time immemorial.

The original Opression Olympians.
Reply 5
People care because sex is a place to impose rule and to impose schemes. Schemes are structures for rule. Those who practice homosexuality question certain schemes, question the rule that some people want to maintain.
Original post by Chipemunk
I just want to clear a few things, in no where in the bible does it explicitly state homosexuality is a sin, also if that’s the excuse having tattoos, having abortions, drinking alcohol, and divorcing are all bad too.

yes it does, it's very clear that it's a sin, so is abortion, tattoos, alcohol and divorce. I recommend reading a king James Bible, maybe that'llbe clearer.
Original post by Leviathan1611
yes it does, it's very clear that it's a sin, so is abortion, tattoos, alcohol and divorce. I recommend reading a king James Bible, maybe that'llbe clearer.

I suspect most atheists would get behind “thou shalt not get a tramp stamp”.
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
I suspect most atheists would get behind “thou shalt not get a tramp stamp”.

I wonder what a "tramp stamp" is😊
I am not catholic and very reform in my religion so what you have stated is something I don't relate too. Its too generalised to think that I think that but also talk like that to my friends.
Original post by GrowFree
Your gay friends are right. Discrimination, at least in Catholic Church, is objective and is officially declared by the Catechism of the Catholic Church. You can read here, in paragraph 2358: The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered...”. By officially declaring that homosexuality is objectively disordered, Catholic Church approves an official discrimination. This is not the opinion of a pope, or a bishop, or a priest; if it was the Bible, we could say that Bible needs to be interpreted, considering the old periods when it was written; but this is an official public text published in 1992 and its declaration is a serious act of discrimination, making a difference between people whose inclinations are to be considered “ordered” and people whose inclinations are to be considered “disordered”. How would you like being officially declared “disordered”?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending