The Student Room Group

Retake A-level or go to uni who's offered me unconditional?

Considering how bad I've performed in my exams these few days, I'm expecting an E/D on results day for definite. I've already got a conditional as well as an unconditional offer as backup from good unis so my grades don't affect my chances of going to uni. However should I retake it??

Scroll to see replies

Nah just go to Uni.
Reply 2
Are you happy to go to your insurance choice?
firstly, you dont know your grades just yet so you might have done better than you think. But if you actually failed then I would suggest retaking maybe after uni (if you go to your unconditional) since grades are still somewhat important for employment
Reply 4
Yeah I am. I've already met my conditional offer which is my firm choice. My unconditional is my insurance choice.
Original post by Sinnoh
Are you happy to go to your insurance choice?
Reply 5
I didn't know you could do that? How does that work? I might consider it
Original post by blackvoid17
firstly, you dont know your grades just yet so you might have done better than you think. But if you actually failed then I would suggest retaking maybe after uni (if you go to your unconditional) since grades are still somewhat important for employment
Original post by Anonymous
I didn't know you could do that? How does that work? I might consider it

yeah you can do a levels at any age but you'll have to do them privately instead of in school. Not too sure about the details tho
Yeah I am. I've already met my conditional offer which is my firm choice. My unconditional is my insurance choice.

I thought an unconditional offer is only unconditional if you firm it?
Reply 8
They gave me an unconditional offer where I didn't have to firm it basically. So I used that offer as my insurance
Original post by blackvoid17
I thought an unconditional offer is only unconditional if you firm it?
Reply 9
Just go uni bro, and sort your life out there and if anything just retake one of your main a level so it doesn’t look too bad
When would it be best to retake it do u know? Don’t want it to get in the way of uni workload
Original post by Shaun222
Just go uni bro, and sort your life out there and if anything just retake one of your main a level so it doesn’t look too bad
Honestly just get straight to uni. I am on my gap year cos im resitting bio and chem and honestly i have done so bad in chemistry it's not worth all the stress. if u have an unconditional offer just go. im in so much stress rn cos of retakes and im having legit breakdowns omg. and i wanna do economics at uni ffs i only took chemistry cos my mum made me lol. just cant wait to go to uni. do not retake if u already have a place :smile:
I can relate so much minus the retake part. It’s honestly not a good feeling knowing u’ve done horrible in the exam so I feel u 😔 but the fact the grade will stick with me for the rest of my life scares me. Have u been offered a place at uni?
Original post by Jp Ahmad
Honestly just get straight to uni. I am on my gap year cos im resitting bio and chem and honestly i have done so bad in chemistry it's not worth all the stress. if u have an unconditional offer just go. im in so much stress rn cos of retakes and im having legit breakdowns omg. and i wanna do economics at uni ffs i only took chemistry cos my mum made me lol. just cant wait to go to uni. do not retake if u already have a place :smile:

Worse than last year do you think? What does your firm require?
I applied in january to do biomedical engineering because my asian parents forced me to even tho i am so bad at science its not even a joke (im better at maths and essay based subjects) and so i dont wanna do it anymore and im following my heart and aiming to do economics at uni which im actually interested in. so now im relying on clearing to get in so august 15 is gonna be the most stressful say of my life but now im terrified i wont get the grade even after a retake cos CHEMISTRY IS HORRIBLE OMG OMG I HATE CHEMISTRY. but im just gonn stay positive lol. and u no what everyone says who cares about a levels when u have ur degree so honestly just go ahead and go uni this yr but if u wanna retake it's up to you but can you bare going through the same stress again? anyways i hope all goes well for you and good luck with results day :smile:
I can relate so much minus the retake part. It’s honestly not a good feeling knowing u’ve done horrible in the exam so I feel u 😔 but the fact the grade will stick with me for the rest of my life scares me. Have u been offered a place at uni?
I got a D last yr in bio and i think i can get an A this yr, i have a B in maths so i didnt retake that and in chemistry i might get a D or C :frown: Aston uni want BBB and i wanna go there but do you think if a uni wants BBB and i get BBC they could lower the entry in clearing for economics?
Original post by MajorFader
Worse than last year do you think? What does your firm require?
I got a D last yr in bio and i think i can get an A this yr, i have a B in maths so i didnt retake that and in chemistry i might get a D or C :frown: Aston uni want BBB and i wanna go there but do you think if a uni wants BBB and i get BBC they could lower the entry in clearing for economics?

Stop worrying fam, you’ll be fine.
Depends why I failed? How much better I thought I could do? Which uni was first choice and then compare that to insurance. In most cases I would retake. If the uni is a really good one I might go.
(edited 4 years ago)
Failed due to nerves. I was already so nervous before the exam, and then my mind went completely blank half way through the paper. Left a whole section out cz I panicked & ultimately ran out of time 😔 If I have my nerves under control I feel like I can perform well however idk how to since I’ve been like this since GCSEs (tho I got some pretty good grades at GCSE) Tho A levels are completely different. I can go to my firm choice as I’ve already met the requirements & I’m happy with going to my firm. It’s just the bad grade that I’m worried will affect me in the future
Original post by 999tigger
Depends why I failed? How much better I thought I could do? Which uni was first choice and then compare that to insurance. In most cases I would retake. If the uni is a really good one I might go.
I applied in january to do biomedical engineering because my asian parents forced me to even tho i am so bad at science its not even a joke (im better at maths and essay based subjects) and so i dont wanna do it anymore and im following my heart and aiming to do economics at uni which im actually interested in. so now im relying on clearing to get in so august 15 is gonna be the most stressful say of my life but now im terrified i wont get the grade even after a retake cos CHEMISTRY IS HORRIBLE OMG OMG I HATE CHEMISTRY. but im just gonn stay positive lol. and u no what everyone says who cares about a levels when u have ur degree so honestly just go ahead and go uni this yr but if u wanna retake it's up to you but can you bare going through the same stress again? anyways i hope all goes well for you and good luck with results day :smile:

Gosh u’ve been through a lot! Hope everything goes well for u too! Good luck 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending