The Student Room Group

Can I go to university without maths?

Can I still go to university without my maths GCSEs? I passed all my GCSEs except maths, so far I’ve done 2 resits which ive failed yet again but I want to go to university 😭😭 I am hard working, maths is just not my forté. My GCSEs results are:

Maths 2 (which is an E)
English literature 7 (which is an A)
English language 7 (which is an A)
Core science C
Additional science C
History C
Business studies C
Physical education B
Spanish A
Religious education B

Please someone help me because I am so worried I may not be able to go to university without my maths GCSE.

I am currently studying ALEVEL English literature,
Sociology, Politics

I am also currently re taking maths so I have maths on my timetable too.

Also are there any universities that take students who’ve failed their maths GCSE?
I feel like I might be dyscalculia but I haven’t had any tests done so it’s all probably just in my head.

Thank you in advance
Yes you can. Some courses do not require a C at maths, if possible though it would be good if you could resit your maths?
Reply 2
Hi,
You can go to university without Math's, It depends what you want to study. I study mental health and wellbeing at Wrexham Glyndwr University they have helped me loads as I have dyslexia and Irlens syndrome. some courses entry requirements have maths but there are so many courses on offer that do not require Maths. Please don't let this put you off from going to Uni, it opens so many doors for your future career.

Take care
Reply 3
@S1elyak1

Thank you for getting back to me, Yh I have re sat my maths twice and honestly it’s scaring me I’m so anxious to even answer questions because I’m just not confident in the subject. I’ve had tutors but I really don’t know what happens during exams because on 1 on 1 sessions I do well but anyways thank you very much and do you know which universities that accept students who’ve not got their maths gcse?
I don't think anyone will have a list of Uni's that don't require a Maths GCSE, it will be a case of you investigating places that you would consider attending to see what their policy is.

Some Uni's may have a minimum Maths requirement for all applicants, (regardless of whether it is an essential subject for the course). So you will need to check individually.
Reply 5
Thank you very much for getting back to me.
Oh wow that’s brilliant! Yh it’s very discouraging just because of the fact I do work hard and I worked so hard to get my GCSEs I just didn’t think I was this bad at maths the fact I keep retaking it and getting the same 2 I got last time is what has really put me off and my college teachers do not teach us well in class. Or at least they do not focus on where we went wrong so I don’t really know where I go wrong. But no definitely I want to go to university I want to study law with criminology or English literature but I don’t think I’ll be able to study these subject because of my maths situation 😭😭
Original post by Lizzm
Hi,
You can go to university without Math's, It depends what you want to study. I study mental health and wellbeing at Wrexham Glyndwr University they have helped me loads as I have dyslexia and Irlens syndrome. some courses entry requirements have maths but there are so many courses on offer that do not require Maths. Please don't let this put you off from going to Uni, it opens so many doors for your future career.

Take care
Reply 6
@Admit-One

Thank you for getting back to me, Yh looking at different universities and their requirements is what I am doing right now, I’ll keep looking at more different universities but thank you very much
Original post by Darling410
@Admit-One

Thank you for getting back to me, Yh looking at different universities and their requirements is what I am doing right now, I’ll keep looking at more different universities but thank you very much

No problem. Sadly there's no easy way to check as any University minimum won't be listed on UCAS.
Reply 8
Hi,
I am sitting with my friend who is doing criminology at the moment in Wrexham. She said it goes on ucas points value rather than just one subject. Go onto the ucas calculator and see how many you have. Most of our courses entry is 112 points. I suggest get work experience as this helps to build your other skills. We might not be a massive uni but its an amazingly well run and support student experience from start to end.
I know some on here a couple of offers for History without GCSE Maths. I will pm you details
Reply 10
@Admit-One

Would you recommend I call up different universities and just ask?
Moved to Applications, Clearing and UCAS :smile:
Reply 12
@Lizzm

Oh right that’s brilliant then because my ucas points are high, does this mean I don’t need to actually worry about maths just concentrate on my current ALevel subjects? I do still need to retake my maths because I’m still in college but if it’s on ucas then I should be fine when I apply to uni& I am currently doing work experience at a law firm so that would be great to add on my PS & thank you so so much
Reply 13
@barror1

Hey thank you for replying, I don’t understand what you mean by moved to applications please can you explain this to me?
Reply 14
It all depends on the university you apply to on their entry. best off asking them before you apply. Concentrate on your a levels and good luck for the future.
@barror1

Hey thank you for replying, I don’t understand what you mean by moved to applications please can you explain this to me?

Since the question is, at its core, about applying to university, I have moved it here. The Grow Your Grades thread is a completely different thing :smile:
@S1elyak1

Thank you for getting back to me, Yh I have re sat my maths twice and honestly it’s scaring me I’m so anxious to even answer questions because I’m just not confident in the subject. I’ve had tutors but I really don’t know what happens during exams because on 1 on 1 sessions I do well but anyways thank you very much and do you know which universities that accept students who’ve not got their maths gcse?

I completely understand. If you think you might have dyscalculia speak to your school/college and push for an assessment. I went through the same thing so if you want to know anything message me and I'll tell you all about it.

It is more course specific than university specific. At my current university some courses require maths and others don't. Narrow down the subject which you want to study, then look at entry requirements and see if you meet the required A Level grades and GCSE grades. Next look at course content and then if possible visit open days in the autumn.
Can I still go to university without my maths GCSEs? I passed all my GCSEs except maths, so far I’ve done 2 resits which ive failed yet again but I want to go to university 😭😭 I am hard working, maths is just not my forté. My GCSEs results are:

Maths 2 (which is an E)
English literature 7 (which is an A)
English language 7 (which is an A)
Core science C
Additional science C
History C
Business studies C
Physical education B
Spanish A
Religious education B

Please someone help me because I am so worried I may not be able to go to university without my maths GCSE.

I am currently studying ALEVEL English literature,
Sociology, Politics

I am also currently re taking maths so I have maths on my timetable too.

Also are there any universities that take students who’ve failed their maths GCSE?
I feel like I might be dyscalculia but I haven’t had any tests done so it’s all probably just in my head.

Thank you in advance

Depends entirely on the uni.
Lower ratesd unis or if you have a medical issue such as discalcula, then they might be more flexible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending