The Student Room Group

Volunteering in Blindfold challenge?

Hi Folks,

what do you think of a blindfold challenge to make awareness for people who are blind on one or both eyes?
We thought about several challenges to collect donations for people who have handicaps like using a wheelchair, hear-loss or beeing blind.

All roommates had several ideas and after trying out some of the ideas i already collected some money myself using some blindfold goggles for several hours

We would do the challenges for max. five days. Foor a fixvalue collected we would performit for one more day, meaning e. g. 75 for 1 day, 150 for 2 days and so on.

What do you think of this idea and what would be a good value for one day?

Thanks?
Reply 1
First, what 'challenges' would you do?

Second, you say you will do it 5 days max, then one more day depending on the sum collected; do you mean more than 5 days, then, or up to 5 days? Are you collecting then doing the challenge, or starting the challenge and doing it for longer if you raise a certain amount?

How do you prove you have done the challenges in order to generate the money?
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
First, what 'challenges' would you do?

Second, you say you will do it 5 days max, then one more day depending on the sum collected; do you mean more than 5 days, then, or up to 5 days? Are you collecting then doing the challenge, or starting the challenge and doing it for longer if you raise a certain amount?

How do you prove you have done the challenges in order to generate the money?

My group would perform a blindfold challenge, meaning we are putting on these blindfolded swim goggles each and wearing them the whole day.
IMG_20190711_233136.jpg IMG_20190711_233154.jpg
When we collect 75 pounds a few days before we perform this challenge and on the first day, we would do it a second day. Collecting 150 pounds till the end of the second day, then we would do it a third day and so on to at least five days in a row...

That way the people would see that we are wearing those goggles and we would have an additional pair of goggles with us so that anyone can test that the goggles are blindfolded. Also we eventually promote it via social media.
Reply 3
Where are you going to be collecting the money? I know some people will donate regardless if they see an online/ bucket collection, but what is the incentive to donate for something you haven't done? And you haven't clearly explained what you will do whilst wearing the goggles and how you show you've done it for a day. You say people will see you wearing the goggles - but where?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
Where are you going to be collecting the money? I know some people will donate regardless if they see an online/ bucket collection, but what is the incentive to donate for something you haven't done? And you haven't clearly explained what you will do whilst wearing the goggles and how you show you've done it for a day. You say people will see you wearing the goggles - but where?

We would do the normal activities that we do every day. Meaning cooking, sleeping, washing, shopping and so on - just blindfolded. Even nighttimes while sleeping. The only exception is car driving. For that case we have a roommate who would drive us and we just sit on the passenger seat blindfolded.

We would make a youtube video-podcast every evening and one more summary podcast to tell our experiences we have made that (5-)day-period also with short in-vid clips of special activities we had done that day. Meaning cooking, shopping at the supermarket, with conversations of confused people who see us wearing these large blindfolded swim goggles. Also with more daily activities like ironing, washing, dressing up and and and .... :-)
And of course announcing if we earned enough donations to do it one more day.

We transfer the donations to the Kiwanis organisation. They support children all around the world and always make interesting honorably events for them. Donating 100 % of their revenues to these children. Or any other organisation the viewer want...
We do not need any money cause we only live like we do every day - with the exception that we take one week of our holiday. But that is not a problem for us...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Fair enough, but I would say make the video as professional as possible; it needs to show you making a serious attempt at tasks, otherwise how do people know you've spent the day like that. Second, be careful if you are filming the public.

Finally, don't chop and change on the charity. Decide where you want the money to go and stick with it. Don't start giving to another organisation 'the viewer wants'; you could end up giving a tenner to 15 different charities. And you should be informing the viewers of the charity number, so they can check it's legit; you don't want to keep adding charities, it looks a bit sus.
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
Fair enough, but I would say make the video as professional as possible; it needs to show you making a serious attempt at tasks, otherwise how do people know you've spent the day like that. Second, be careful if you are filming the public.

Finally, don't chop and change on the charity. Decide where you want the money to go and stick with it. Don't start giving to another organisation 'the viewer wants'; you could end up giving a tenner to 15 different charities. And you should be informing the viewers of the charity number, so they can check it's legit; you don't want to keep adding charities, it looks a bit sus.

Ok. All the money would go to the Kiwanis organisation ONLY!
It would be the easiest to do this on Facebook. For those who do not have a Facebook Account, we would make a paypal-account and we donate that money ourself to the facebook-donation-website...
Therefore we have no possibility to "catch" the money for ourselfes.

My buddy told me he would make a short introduction vid and showing a washing challenge blindfolded :-)
Reply 7
Original post by Melly0Re
Ok. All the money would go to the Kiwanis organisation ONLY!
It would be the easiest to do this on Facebook. For those who do not have a Facebook Account, we would make a paypal-account and we donate that money ourself to the facebook-donation-website...
Therefore we have no possibility to "catch" the money for ourselfes.

My buddy told me he would make a short introduction vid and showing a washing challenge blindfolded :-)

I've done or organised various charity collections and always used the charity logo and registration number on sponsor forms or bucket collections, or the charity has provided labels for buckets.

Just thought, if you are out in public, eg shopping, make sure the supermarket, cafe, wherever, are happy with you filming; you'd be ok outside. And maybe get permission to hand out some flyers with the details of the challenge and the PayPal?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending