The Student Room Group

Summer Holiday Productivity

I want to create a fabulous revision plan before my GCSE's in 2020 but despite waking up at 5am everyday since Sept. 2018 to do 2 hours before school and 2/3 afterschool (on average I do have a life lol), I don't know how to spend my time this summer. I plan to catch up on some books I've not read such as 'Jung's Map of the Soul' (inspired by BTS sksks) and I want to improve my languages (Korean, Spanish etc.) I want to somehow get some extracurricular activities done so I can increase my chances at getting to a really good Uni (hopefully Cambridge?) But I don't even know what to do really. I kind of want to get fitter as well but does anyone have any ideas? Work experience is hard to find in my area especially since the local town is awful and I don't want to get stabbed. I live near Wolverhampton, how fun.
Reply 1
Hi, I’m in the exact same situation as you, wanting to revise for my GCSEs in 2020, get fitter, do more extracurricular activities and increase my chance of doing medicine.

I think the best way is over the next couple of days, plan every day in the summer holiday. Include outings and holidays and seeing your friends, but also revision sessions covering content from year 10. An example could be:
7am-8am, wake up and get ready
8am-9am, Go for a walk outside or do some exercise
9am-9.30am, Eat breakfast
10am-11am, Revise Biology B4-Bioenergetics
11am-12pm, Break
12pm-12.30pm, Lunch
12.30pm-2pm, Go our to the cinema with friends
2pm-3pm, look for work experience and apply aswell as extracurricular activities
3pm-4pm, English, Conflict Poetry
4pm-5pm, Break
6pm-7pm, Quizlet to revise French
8pm-8.30pm, Read book (Maybe one studying at GCSE) and plan for next day
8.30-10pm, Wind down with Netflix and go to sleep.

Planning the day ahead increases productivity for the day ahead and by accomplishing these daily tasks, helps to motivate you to continue with them.
Reply 2
Original post by epicnm
Hi, I’m in the exact same situation as you, wanting to revise for my GCSEs in 2020, get fitter, do more extracurricular activities and increase my chance of doing medicine.

I think the best way is over the next couple of days, plan every day in the summer holiday. Include outings and holidays and seeing your friends, but also revision sessions covering content from year 10. An example could be:
7am-8am, wake up and get ready
8am-9am, Go for a walk outside or do some exercise
9am-9.30am, Eat breakfast
10am-11am, Revise Biology B4-Bioenergetics
11am-12pm, Break
12pm-12.30pm, Lunch
12.30pm-2pm, Go our to the cinema with friends
2pm-3pm, look for work experience and apply aswell as extracurricular activities
3pm-4pm, English, Conflict Poetry
4pm-5pm, Break
6pm-7pm, Quizlet to revise French
8pm-8.30pm, Read book (Maybe one studying at GCSE) and plan for next day
8.30-10pm, Wind down with Netflix and go to sleep.

Planning the day ahead increases productivity for the day ahead and by accomplishing these daily tasks, helps to motivate you to continue with them.

Yeah thank you I do have a to-do list and productivity planner to create plans like these but with revision I think I need to more organised. It's like I have flashcards for B3, just practice tests for C5 and unneccesarily long notes for P4 (as an example). Plus I don't have much to do this summer so motivation is something I think I'm going to struggle with.
Reply 3
Same, I feel like my revision is so unorganised, so I’ve created a document with an individual strategy to revise each subject.
For example maths:
Begin with a 5 a day starter
Choose a topic from the spec
Watch the hegarty maths video relating to said topic
Using revision guide and hegarty maths, create an A4 poster on the topic
Practice questions on hegarty maths
Practice questions out of BBC Bitesize workbook
Practice Corbett maths textbook questions
Go on to maths genie exam question
Mark all questions to see how many right and record score of confidence on spreadsheet

Or for science:
Choose a topic
Go to Collins connect/Textbook to make notes on that topic
Record notes on phone with voice recorder app
Then use notes and revision guide to produce flash cards on the topic
Watch a video correlating with that topic on my gcse science and free science lessons
Complete an educake quiz on said topic
Use physics and maths tutor to practice exam questions on that topic without notes

I think by having a method of going about revision, it helps with organisation so when it comes to GCSEs next year, your not worrying about content from year 10.

In terms of motivation, maybe create a vision board with images of a result sheet with all 9s or a UCAS application page and maybe a picture of Cambridge university and the entry requirements of the course you want to study. Have this with you during your revision as a reminder of why your doing it.
Hope this helped.
Original post by Saira.Z
Yeah thank you I do have a to-do list and productivity planner to create plans like these but with revision I think I need to more organised. It's like I have flashcards for B3, just practice tests for C5 and unneccesarily long notes for P4 (as an example). Plus I don't have much to do this summer so motivation is something I think I'm going to struggle with.
Let's not kid ourselves here lads were all gonna get smashed this summer
Reply 5
Original post by epicnm
Same, I feel like my revision is so unorganised, so I’ve created a document with an individual strategy to revise each subject.
For example maths:
Mark all questions to see how many right and record score of confidence on spreadsheet

Or for science:
Choose a topic
Watch a video correlating with that topic on my gcse science and free science lessons
Use physics and maths tutor to practice exam questions on that topic without notes

I think by having a method of going about revision, it helps with organisation so when it comes to GCSEs next year, your not worrying about content from year 10.

In terms of motivation, maybe create a vision board with images of a result sheet with all 9s or a UCAS application page and maybe a picture of Cambridge university and the entry requirements of the course you want to study. Have this with you during your revision as a reminder of why your doing it.
Hope this helped.

It has helped thank you, I've been thinking about creating a document of all of my courses to breakdown all of the revision I need tbh
On a serious note its probably not a good idea to start straight take at least 2/3 weeks with no work as it will allow your brain to reset
Reply 7
Not when you're muslim sksksksk
Original post by Wonderwall99
Let's not kid ourselves here lads were all gonna get smashed this summer
I am doing the exact same but mostly catching up on year 10 stuff as I did horribly. I don’t have that much motivation at the moment but I do achieve high when I put my mind to something. Revision is so tedious though but I’m going to have to work hard to get good GCSEs and not fail
This is so helpful!!
Original post by epicnm
For example maths:

Or for science:
Choose a topic

Hope this helped.

This is amazing, thankyou so much for sharing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending