The Student Room Group

Yr 11 transition 🎒/ gcse's 2020📚/ motivation✨

Im going into year 11 and right now im writing out all my notes for all my subjects neatly and putting them in a folder for year 11 so all my paper 1 notes will be complete. This is so that i can improve my results for mocks in December also. In June i got:

Maths - 8 (happy)
Chemistry - 9 (very happy)
Biology - 7 (not happy)
Physics - 7 (Ok with)
Geography - 7 (happy)
RE - 5 (Ok with)
Sociology - 5 (extremely disappointed with, easy test)
English - 5 (ok with)

So i made a plan like this:

Week 1: Biology notes
Week 2 : Chemistry notes
Week 3: Physics notes
Week 4: Geography notes
Week 5: English notes
Week 6: Sociology notes
(Maths, Re and french revision when i get back to school)

BUT i got through my biology and chem notes really quickly and im starting physics next week so i may get to do some RE and French revision.

Although A LOT of people here of tsr are like no "enjoy your summer" "go out with friends" "last year of freedom" i recommend that you stick to your studying. I mean how boring would it get if you was going town every single day with your mates. I've already been cinemas and out to eat with my friends at the start on the holidays which was lovely. Why would you sit in front of a TV watching irrelevant movies of Netflix that you will forget about in a week when you could be re-enforcing all your knowledge. Why would you waste all your time (definitely do out with your mates however!) with friends when theres people out there bettering themselves everyday. These 6 weeks could be the difference from a 6 and a 7 or a 4 and a 5 next summer. Yeah sure it might not work, you might still get a grade 4 or 5, but would you rather be at home next august thinking "damn, if i had put in that extra revision, could i have got a better grade". Dont know about you but i sure don't!

Also, im planning on doing Chem, Bio, Physics and Maths from A-level and so i'm reading through the first few pages of each book so before i start college next September i have a basic understanding (of course going to do a-level revision all summer next year!). Also , i;m doing an EPQ in year 13 and i've made a little template on words and just brainstormed some ideas, i've only got like 3 but it's better than nothing lol.

For GCSE's i want to get:
Maths - 9
Biology - 8
Physics - 8
Geography - 7
RE - 6
Sociology - 7
English - 6-7
French - 5 (doing foundation tier im awful)
So yeah i need to do a lot of work in Sociology and English before next year.
Post / ask anything you want on this thread
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good luck to you! I hope this works out for you. Please remember to have some breaks from each subject in the day! Are you going to be doing a GYG / Blog during your transition to year 11 and then through your school year?
Original post by future_11
Im going into year 11 and right now im writing out all my notes for all my subjects neatly and putting them in a folder for year 11 so all my paper 1 notes will be complete. This is so that i can improve my results for mocks in December also. In June i got:

Maths - 8 (happy)
Biology - 7 (not happy)
Physics - 7 (Ok with)
Geography - 7 (happy)
RE - 5 (Ok with)
English - 5 (ok with)

BUT i got through my biology and chem notes really quickly and im starting physics next week so i may get to do some RE and French revision.

Although A LOT of people here of tsr are like no "enjoy your summer" "go out with friends" "last year of freedom" i recommend that you stick to your studying. I mean how boring would it get if you was going town every single day with your mates. I've already been cinemas and out to eat with my friends at the start on the holidays which was lovely. Why would you sit in front of a TV watching irrelevant movies of Netflix that you will forget about in a week when you could be re-enforcing all your knowledge. Why would you waste all your time (definitely do out with your mates however!) with friends when theres people out there bettering themselves everyday. These 6 weeks could be the difference from a 6 and a 7 or a 4 and a 5 next summer. Yeah sure it might not work, you might still get a grade 4 or 5, but would you rather be at home next august thinking "damn, if i had put in that extra revision, could i have got a better grade". Dont know about you but i sure don't!

Also, im planning on doing Chem, Bio, Physics and Maths from A-level and so i'm reading through the first few pages of each book so before i start college next September i have a basic understanding (of course going to do a-level revision all summer next year!). Also , i;m doing an EPQ in year 13 and i've made a little template on words and just brainstormed some ideas, i've only got like 3 but it's better than nothing lol.

Maths - 9
Biology - 8
Physics - 8
Geography - 7
RE - 6
Sociology - 7
English - 6-7
omg im going to year 11 and I have literally planned a summer full off revision! I cant just sit watching Netflix knowing exams are next year
Ive made flashcards throughout the year so I'm just catching up on ones I've missed. My mocks were frankly teribblyyy:

Biology - 7 (ok, would have loved higher)
Chemistry - 7 (happy)
Physics - 7 (That test was hard so im okkk with that)
maths - 8 (happy)
English lang - 4 (so bad)
Comp - 5 (reasonable considering many reasons...)
Re - 4(we all failed it)
Geography - 6 (wanted min 7)

I wanna get all 7 and above come next august

My revision resources are all flashcards and textbook so I have a pop up folder with the flashcards in. I wanna buy some folders and some open upy folder things so I can put flashcards in there and then put specifications and any notes and stuff in. How do you guys organise your revision?

I wanna do biology, chemistry and either maths, georgaohy or both - if I go to a grammer sixth form. Or if I go to another sicth form i'll do biology, chemistry and one of either or both maths and psychology! oh and plus and EPQ. What do you want to go into?
(edited 4 years ago)
sounds like u have a great plan :smile:
I will say, please be careful
I've just done my gcses this year, I worked hard as I have for teh whole of secondary school and tried my best while trying to remain sane( which wasnt easy)
just dont push urself too far,I have friends who didnt speak to anyone for the whole of year 11, developed very very unhealthy eating habits, withdrew socially completely and basically spent the whole year living as a ghost.
so work hard and try ur best but please check in with yourself every once in a while and remember ur not a machine
(no idea why I went off like that tbh, not saying that will be u but I'm up at 2am worring ab results so thought I would try and give some 'useful' advice)

Maths - 8 (happy)
Biology - 7 (not happy)
Physics - 7 (Ok with)
Geography - 7 (happy)
RE - 5 (Ok with)
English - 5 (ok with)

Maths - 9
Biology - 8
Physics - 8
Geography - 7
RE - 6
Sociology - 7
English - 6-7
Reply 5
OMG! Your results are really good!!! How did you revise? T-T In my GCSES, I'm aiming for the best in everything (7 or above)!!! I did bad in my year 10 mocks though >.<; any advice is helpful ;-;. Also, I want to do bio, chem, physics & maths too :O.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Most of my revsison was:
- making study notes on flashcards of the whole topic
- learning the flashcards
- walking aroun the house recalling them until you remember everything
- do exam questions to apply your knowledge
- make messy mind maps and stuuf to recall info from previouse study card sessions
I am the same!! everyone is telling me to have fun and stop revising. at the end of the day I will be less stressed come may because I would have spent my time wisely. there is a time for work and play. I am determined to get 7s and above and I have individual targets. my mock results however were awful

maths- 5
English lang-5
lit- 5
biology-5
chemistry-5
physics-4
art-7
rs-4(everyone failed, in a test after however I got a 9)
Spanish-3(one mark off 4, the only subject I didn't revise)

however I want to get

maths-7/8
English lang-7
English lit-7/8
biology-8
chemistry-8/9
physics-7
art-7/8
rs-9
spanish-7

I am not the smartest person you will meet. this summer I am re doing all my notes and making them shorter. I feel like no matter how much revision I do I always fail. I have been out this summer with friends but I have aswell done plenty revision (my summer is 9 weeks cos I'm at a private school aha) I have finished my paper 1 chemistry notes and now I'm starting biology then physics. I don't know how I will complete it but I am determined. my mocks are in January and I want all my grades to be a 7s by then
also for a level I want to do: biology, chemistry and either sociology, psychology or art then at uni I want to study medicine. we can use this forum all the way till gcses and make sure we all get our 7s and above!!!
Hi, I'm also moving into Year 11 and am striving to get the top grades, like yourself.

Please don't listen to those telling you to stop revising and to have fun- tbh if you revise now, your creating less stress for yourself and are more organised. Sure, don't overdo it and overwork yourself, but don't completely neglect it either for things like Netflix which are basically only short term pleasure activities! (I am guilty of binging dramas myself so I can't really speak).

Also, I created a similar revision plan as you but I realised that it's better to spread and mix each subject with an allotted time, as if you dedicate a week to each subject, you may forget the key information when later focusing on another subject. This might not work for you though, but I recommend an app called Study SQA, it helps you space and prioritise your revision into manageable chunks.

Anyways good luck with your revision, I can't believe time has gone so fast ..
Reply 10
Original post by FutureDreamer
omg im going to year 11 and I have literally planned a summer full off revision! I cant just sit watching Netflix knowing exams are next year

Yessss someone who agrees with mee. Like every little will help next summer (and beyond!) man
Reply 11
Original post by FutureDreamer
Ive made flashcards throughout the year so I'm just catching up on ones I've missed. My mocks were frankly teribblyyy:

Biology - 7 (ok, would have loved higher)
Chemistry - 7 (happy)
Physics - 7 (That test was hard so im okkk with that)
maths - 8 (happy)
English lang - 4 (so bad)
Comp - 5 (reasonable considering many reasons...)
Re - 4(we all failed it)
Geography - 6 (wanted min 7)

I wanna get all 7 and above come next august

My revision resources are all flashcards and textbook so I have a pop up folder with the flashcards in. I wanna buy some folders and some open upy folder things so I can put flashcards in there and then put specifications and any notes and stuff in. How do you guys organise your revision?

I wanna do biology, chemistry and either maths, georgaohy or both - if I go to a grammer sixth form. Or if I go to another sicth form i'll do biology, chemistry and one of either or both maths and psychology! oh and plus and EPQ. What do you want to go into?

I would love to do medicine. And what about you?
p.s. great plan and u did great in mocks :smile: and for RE and Geography we have mocks in December so just work reallllly hard and you'll get the grade you want God willing!
Reply 12
Original post by Ztormie
OMG! Your results are really good!!! How did you revise? T-T In my GCSES, I'm aiming for the best in everything (7 or above)!!! I did bad in my year 10 mocks though >.<; any advice is helpful ;-;. Also, I want to do bio, chem, physics & maths too :O.

Spoiler

Thank youuu. Basically i just re-wrote my notes and done lots and lots or practice questions (from revision guides AND past papers). I dont know about other people, but i fount (for me) even though i wrote down my notes after every topic i felt the need to re-write them before mocks because i feel like things really stick when its reinforced over and over. So you do you and tbh everyone's different just experiment and good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by Whoareyou?
Hi, I'm also moving into Year 11 and am striving to get the top grades, like yourself.

Please don't listen to those telling you to stop revising and to have fun- tbh if you revise now, your creating less stress for yourself and are more organised. Sure, don't overdo it and overwork yourself, but don't completely neglect it either for things like Netflix which are basically only short term pleasure activities! (I am guilty of binging dramas myself so I can't really speak).

Also, I created a similar revision plan as you but I realised that it's better to spread and mix each subject with an allotted time, as if you dedicate a week to each subject, you may forget the key information when later focusing on another subject. This might not work for you though, but I recommend an app called Study SQA, it helps you space and prioritise your revision into manageable chunks.

Anyways good luck with your revision, I can't believe time has gone so fast ..

Yes yes exactly! We (the ones who put in the effort) will have more fun in our later lives,because when you think about it our childhood only lasts up to 18 years, whereas out adult life is 60yrs+ ! So would you have short-term pleasures or long-term pleasures?
Yes i understand your method just for me i find that i tend to just do all my favorite subjects when i do say a different subject every two days but if that works for you great!
Thank you i will defiantly check that app out!
Ikr :frown: :frown: but just think soon enough it'll be all oveerr............. then we have AS-levels.... then A-levels..... then Uni :frown: but it'll all be worth it lol:biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by shady1402
also for a level I want to do: biology, chemistry and either sociology, psychology or art then at uni I want to study medicine. we can use this forum all the way till gcses and make sure we all get our 7s and above!!!

Great idea!And best of luckk
Reply 15
Original post by shady1402
I am the same!! everyone is telling me to have fun and stop revising. at the end of the day I will be less stressed come may because I would have spent my time wisely. there is a time for work and play. I am determined to get 7s and above and I have individual targets. my mock results however were awful

maths- 5
English lang-5
lit- 5
biology-5
chemistry-5
physics-4
art-7
rs-4(everyone failed, in a test after however I got a 9)
Spanish-3(one mark off 4, the only subject I didn't revise)

however I want to get

maths-7/8
English lang-7
English lit-7/8
biology-8
chemistry-8/9
physics-7
art-7/8
rs-9
spanish-7

I am not the smartest person you will meet. this summer I am re doing all my notes and making them shorter. I feel like no matter how much revision I do I always fail. I have been out this summer with friends but I have aswell done plenty revision (my summer is 9 weeks cos I'm at a private school aha) I have finished my paper 1 chemistry notes and now I'm starting biology then physics. I don't know how I will complete it but I am determined. my mocks are in January and I want all my grades to be a 7s by then

Aww this is great and dont even worry about the mocks we just had because we still have another set in December! However dont be like some people and think "Oh, i didnt do so well, but come December imma magically up my game" lol but aha you definitely dont sound like that type so well done and keep pushing on!
This looks like a Grow Your Grades-type thread. Thus, I will move this thread to the GYG forum.

Good luck.
(edited 4 years ago)
OMG~!! TYYY~!!!! :smile: I'm going to try this~! <333 Also, good luck~!!! :h:
Thank youuu. Basically i just re-wrote my notes and done lots and lots or practice questions (from revision guides AND past papers). I dont know about other people, but i fount (for me) even though i wrote down my notes after every topic i felt the need to re-write them before mocks because i feel like things really stick when its reinforced over and over. So you do you and tbh everyone's different just experiment and good luck!
haha don't worry I know I have to work hard to improve!! so many people tell me that 'you have a year to improve don't worry now' but that year will turn into months then weeks then days. so many people in my year believe that they will magically improve and I would tell them they won't and they said that they don't want to take any advice from someone who basically got all 5's and below:frown: these people were some of my friends aswell
Aww this is great and dont even worry about the mocks we just had because we still have another set in December! However dont be like some people and think "Oh, i didnt do so well, but come December imma magically up my game" lol but aha you definitely dont sound like that type so well done and keep pushing on!
if I make my notes from free science lessons and my cgp book for sciences, could I get 7 8 and 9? also people who do languages (I do Spanish) which I hate, how are you revising x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending