The Student Room Group

Boyfriend's love language?

We've been dating for a month now and things are going well but I since it's the first time I've gotten a boyfriend and his first time having a girlfriend I'm quite nervous of ruining anything.

Would it be weird to ask him what his love language is and tell him mine (which I don't know yet) so that we both continue to feel loved?

My friends say that I'm being to clingy and overthinking it too much. I'm really worried that I might put him off since my friends said that since he's quite stoic he'll most likely be put off and get bored of me.

Any advice? I just want to know if I should ask him for his love language and tell him mine?

Scroll to see replies

Eh. What are you even expecting him to say? I've been dating since I was 14 (almost half my life ago) and if someone asked me that I'd just stare blankly at them and ask "what?"
Reply 2
Original post by sinfonietta
Eh. What are you even expecting him to say? I've been dating since I was 14 (almost half my life ago) and if someone asked me that I'd just stare blankly at them and ask "what?"

That's what I'd expect him to say too. I wanted to know what his love language was so that I can show him love in a way that he feels love too, if that makes sense?
Reply 3
As you don't know your own love language either, why not suggest you both take the test, as a fun thing?
Reply 4
...what?
Reply 5
Original post by Profesh
...what?

There's this concept called love languages, basically an idea that love is expressed in five main distinct ways and each person has an expression they favour
Original post by Anonymous
We've been dating for a month now and things are going well but I since it's the first time I've gotten a boyfriend and his first time having a girlfriend I'm quite nervous of ruining anything.

Would it be weird to ask him what his love language is and tell him mine (which I don't know yet) so that we both continue to feel loved?

My friends say that I'm being to clingy and overthinking it too much. I'm really worried that I might put him off since my friends said that since he's quite stoic he'll most likely be put off and get bored of me.

Any advice? I just want to know if I should ask him for his love language and tell him mine?

Sorry, but what even is a love language? Why do you need this in order to love each other? I've been with my fiance over 2 years and neither one of us has heard of this language, and we both feel very loved and appreciated in our relationship.
Reply 7
Original post by Sataris
As you don't know your own love language either, why not suggest you both take the test, as a fun thing?

That's a great idea! Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by DrawTheLine
Sorry, but what even is a love language? Why do you need this in order to love each other? I've been with my fiance over 2 years and neither one of us has heard of this language, and we both feel very loved and appreciated in our relationship.

We don't need it to love each but I just thought that it would be nice to know what makes him feel the most loved.

after nearly six years i do not have a clue what a love language is either. asking specific questions about someones likes works just as well :smile:
Reply 10
how serious are you? personally if i were dating someone for a month and they even whispered the word love i'd run asap.

if you stay together long enough, you'll know his love language without discussing it; it'll show through behaviour and arguments. you may even already know it :biggrin:
The only language of love I know is French :sexface:

No, but seriously OP. Can you give a detailed explanation of what a love language actually is, because most people don’t seem to have a clue.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
I've never heard of a love language before. Just speak normally.
Original post by Anonymous
We don't need it to love each but I just thought that it would be nice to know what makes him feel the most loved.

You could just ask him what things he likes in a relationship. Still have no clue what this "language" is.
Weird
Original post by Sataris
There's this concept called love languages, basically an idea that love is expressed in five main distinct ways and each person has an expression they favour

>mfw there's an explanation already in the thread ^^^
Original post by claireestelle
after nearly six years i do not have a clue what a love language is either. asking specific questions about someones likes works just as well :smile:

Original post by Plantagenet Crown

No, but seriously OP. Can you give a detailed explanation of what a love language actually is, because most people don’t seem to have a clue.

Sorry, but what even is a love language?
Original post by Sataris
>mfw there's an explanation already in the thread ^^^

Still don’t know what that means, it’s too vague.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Still don’t know what that means, it’s too vague.

A love language is a way of expressing love, for example through giving gifts or spending quality time with someone. Someone's "love language" is the way of expression they prefer in their relationships
Lmao im not surprised that people on here have never heard of the concept of love language
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Lmao im not surprised that people on here have never heard of the concept of love language

How come?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending