The Student Room Group

postgrad loan overpayment

I'm in the second year of a two year part time Masters, with a postgrad loan. I received my first loan instalment for year two a couple of weeks ago, at the start of term, obviously I received my three payments for year one last year.

I've had flu for the last ten days and have missed loads of lectures (it's block teaching so you can miss a whole module if you're away for a few weeks).

I'm now considering taking three years to do the degree instead of two, and understand if I do this I will no longer be eligible for the postgrad loan as the full time equivalent is one year.

I'm wondering though what happens to the money I've received already, especially the payment I received a couple of weeks ago. Do payments just stop and I pay back based on income in the future as normal, or will I be considered to have been overpaid and be asked to pay some back straight away?
Original post by postgradsusie
I'm in the second year of a two year part time Masters, with a postgrad loan. I received my first loan instalment for year two a couple of weeks ago, at the start of term, obviously I received my three payments for year one last year.

I've had flu for the last ten days and have missed loads of lectures (it's block teaching so you can miss a whole module if you're away for a few weeks).

I'm now considering taking three years to do the degree instead of two, and understand if I do this I will no longer be eligible for the postgrad loan as the full time equivalent is one year.

I'm wondering though what happens to the money I've received already, especially the payment I received a couple of weeks ago. Do payments just stop and I pay back based on income in the future as normal, or will I be considered to have been overpaid and be asked to pay some back straight away?

Hi there,

If you transfer from an eligible course to an ineligible course we will not be able to release any further Postgraduate Masters Loan (PGM) payments to you.

Any payments which you received whilst on the eligible course will not be reassessed so you will not have been overpaid.

In order to update your course details your university will need to send us an electronic transfer change of circumstances.

Thanks, Ashley.
Original post by SFE Ashley
Hi there,

If you transfer from an eligible course to an ineligible course we will not be able to release any further Postgraduate Masters Loan (PGM) payments to you.

Any payments which you received whilst on the eligible course will not be reassessed so you will not have been overpaid.

In order to update your course details your university will need to send us an electronic transfer change of circumstances.

Thanks, Ashley.

Thank you this is really helpful! I'm discussing with my tutor on Monday and we will let SFE know depending on the outcome!
Original post by postgradsusie
Thank you this is really helpful! I'm discussing with my tutor on Monday and we will let SFE know depending on the outcome!

Hi there,

You're welcome 😊 If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks, Amy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending