The Student Room Group

year 11🚶...

helloo, i've decided to embark on a challenge called 'Grow Your Grades' - something very different to what I'm used to. I'm new to TSR (I don't know if this is how you start a thread), but hopefully with my frequent updates I will get used to how it works. Anyways, I plan this to be like a diary: you will be seeing my ups and downs, my struggles and achievements. I don't know what to expect, I mean I definitely know that I am not a productive person but through this challenge, hopefully motivation sprouts! so here goes!!

Scroll to see replies

Good luck! This should be very interesting to see :smile:
Reply 2
just to contextualise and keep you up to date, my three worst subjects are DT, Computer Science and English. I had a few breakdowns yesterday trying to revise English!! And mocks are in what, 5 days?

As a year 13 student who also had a breakdown about mocks, let me tell you this.
I know you probably hear it a lot, but the mocks are in fact so much harder than the GCSEs - they make you feel like you're failing so you work even harder. The GCSEs were so easy, I came out with a 7 in English when my mocks were a 3.
I'm sure you'll do great!
Reply 4

Original post by SkyRose01
Good luck! This should be very interesting to see :smile:

thank youu

how do I find my own thread after exiting the page? (sry im learning)
Reply 5
Original post by SkyRose01
As a year 13 student who also had a breakdown about mocks, let me tell you this.
I know you probably hear it a lot, but the mocks are in fact so much harder than the GCSEs - they make you feel like you're failing so you work even harder. The GCSEs were so easy, I came out with a 7 in English when my mocks were a 3.
I'm sure you'll do great!

:heart:that makes me feel so much better.
This looks really interesting! Can't wait to read about your journey.
Reply 7
Slacking...
Its almost 9pm and I'm ashamed to say I haven't done started any revision since. Days and nights go past like this - I get whirled into the world of social media and delay what I really need to do. I was reading other people's GYG and they look so amazing, so I'm going to fill you in with my interests (and try make it look presentable :smile:).

These are the GCSE subjects I'm taking:

Spoiler

Today I had an interview with my career adviser. I am not too sure what I would like to be, but I believe I want to do something medical. She really helped my get an insight into what paths I can take and made me think, "Is Medicine really the path I want to take?" I think it's important to keep my options open.
I also realised that I regret choosing DT over Art. All that coursework is not doing it for me.
My career adviser also advised me to balance my creative life with my academic life... here are my interests :smile:

Spoiler

Although I don't take French as a subject, I would love learning it. I mean I used to (like a year ago) self teach myself through Duolingo, but I think a pen pal would be great. :h:
Reply 8

Update #3: Bullet Journaling!

With the start of the month (yesterday), I decided to fill in my bullet journal after neglecting it for a few months! I should have prioritised my revision instead, and although mocks are in literally 2 days, I think it's helpful to keep a schedule...

bulletjournal1.jpg

I might have got carried away but nonetheless I'm pleased with the result:u:

bulletjournal2.jpg

After another day spent surfing the internet :s-smilie:, I found a design similar to the one above (I'm not sure where it's from) but notice the how it keeps record of my water intake? Yes, that's one of my goals for this year.

Goals for Year 11:

Spoiler

Speaking of making flashcards the night before, today's focus has been on Computer Science. I've been spending my day hastily making flashcards, interspersed with 30minute nap/phone time and yet I still can't get my head around CISC and RISC processors! That needs to change quick though, as the mock exam is on Monday and I have a lot left to do and I'm trying not to panic :argh: Here's a picture of my progress so far:

flashcards.jpg

I also have a Maths Paper 1 exam and an RS exam on Monday, so I'll now be moving onto RS now. Thanks for reading!!:heart:
Reply 9
Original post by Tabia

thank youu

how do I find my own thread after exiting the page? (sry im learning)

I really like this. It remind me that I had some problems at my A level exam as I wasn’t confident which also meant people who were experienced were giving me advice. At the end it was true and it was all good advice. Thank you a lot. Keep up the good work and pass with flying colours. You will be the best of the class
So pretty! Love the journal!
Reply 11
Thank you for your kind words!
Original post by marsai
I really like this. It remind me that I had some problems at my A level exam as I wasn’t confident which also meant people who were experienced were giving me advice. At the end it was true and it was all good advice. Thank you a lot. Keep up the good work and pass with flying colours. You will be the best of the class
Reply 12
Original post by Obolinda
So pretty! Love the journal!

I appreciate it :smile::heart:
Reply 13
Birthday Mocks and More...

One of my goals is to "be more consistent" and clearly, this is not going well for me. As each day of this week progresses, I've felt less and less inclined to update. Do any of you guys have tips on being more consistent, whether it is on updating or just plain revision? Also please do share some love guys, it really does help! :heart:

Monday

Spoiler

I remember a lot of the knowledge that I applied to my Year 10 EOY exams was due to cramming. Now look at the difference... I know it's unhealthy, but I promise, after these two strenuous weeks I will thoroughly expiate these gaps in my knowledge. I had three exams on Monday: Maths Paper 1, Computer Science and RS. After battling some of the questions in Maths, I was left confused: unsure whether I did well or not. It was hard. Some of my peers were telling me that it wasn't, leaving me to my now precarious confidence in Maths. Computer Science did not go smoothly either. It's one of those subjects that for the past year I haven't been focusing on, and although I wasn't satisfied with my answers, I finished the exam early.

Tuesday

Spoiler

To contrast, I believe that RS compensated the lack of confidence in my previous exams, as part two continues to the next day, thus allowing me for another day of cramming. :biggrin: The same applies to Physics, but the results will have to speak for themselves. I was feeling much more anticipation for the next day, which unfolds as the following...

Wednesday

Spoiler

These two subjects in particular make me nervous, especially when combined together but I advised myself that it's better not to let this feeling of apprehension rule over the rigour of my work; so I remained sanguine instead. And to my surprise, it worked. I swiftly waded through the paper, conscious of the time. I felt confident by the time I got to the creative writing section and completed it with time to spare. What? There was 30 minutes left, I've written only a page worth of creative writing. Surely this can't be right. With ten minutes left, I thought it was a good idea to quickly repleted the next page with absolute balderdash. Hopefully that didn't downgrade what I thought was quality writing beforehand.
Hey, did I mention? It was my birthday:birthday: during mocks, yes. Luckily, this positive mood reflected off of my DT exam as well. And in spite of the fact that it was 2 hours long:eek:, I managed to easily complete it. That may be because the exam board for DT is AQA - I remember doing an OCR paper last year, and it was much more difficult! :no:

Thursday

Spoiler

Maths, oh maths. I think the problem is that I set myself such high expectations, that when I fail to meet them, I struggle to cope. I came to the exam determined, in hopes that I can amend for the loss of marks that I surely made on Paper 1. The first half of the paper was completed swiftly, with an hour left. But perhaps I worked too hard, too fast, that when I recovered from the throbbing pain of my hand signalling that I was writing too fast, my mind went blank. Convoluted questions, ones that I expected to know how to answer, started hitting me as time was running out. The next thing I knew was that I was on the same question for what seemed like forever. The sound of the clock seemed to pound upon me, along with me feeling pathetic, causing the bane of my once precarious confidence. I literally had a breakdown.

Friday

Spoiler

After feeling crestfallen the previous day, I decided to start the last day of the week a little bit more spirited, focusing my revision on Chemistry which was at the end of the day. Please, please, please make sure to turn over the page! There may be a 6 marker hiding from you, which was the case with me and I had to answer it within the last 10 minutes! I can conclude that Chemistry is another subject where I haven't been focusing on for the past year, and I aim to grasp its curriculum more firmly these upcoming months.

As for now, I am overjoyed that a good fraction of my mocks is over, but wish me luck for what's next! It's very much needed.:heart:
My mocks start in a few weeks 😟
The way you talk doesn't make it seem like English is your worst subject lol
Reply 16
Original post by Obolinda
My mocks start in a few weeks 😟

Good luck - make sure you don't end up cramming like me! Use those few weeks to memorise quotes/ do past papers etc
Reply 17
Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths
The way you talk doesn't make it seem like English is your worst subject lol

Thank you I try!:smile: The secret is I have a list of words I want to use... :erm: so these don't actually come from my brain but with time and practice hopefully I won't need it.
Original post by Tabia
Thank you I try!:smile: The secret is I have a list of words I want to use... :erm: so these don't actually come from my brain but with time and practice hopefully I won't need it.

I used to do the same Haha!
Reply 19
Hello, I think it would have been useful to make a note as medicine is a very tight deadline degree and it is also a lot longer and very results orientated. The degree is very competitive. Art is great Especially that you as art can help relieve many symptoms. Maybe you can see what you like and amend this when choosing your a-levels. It is better to do so early. There are online test that are not very long called “personality career test” that help match you to the career you like. This actually helped me as my match was close with 3 careers but I chose to study business management at university and the career match helped me from now on. Good luck. All the best!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending