The Student Room Group

Scottish Universities Offers for EU students

I want to go to a top Scottish Uni. I can choose to be English or EU applicant (as my Mum's Spanish) but I've lived in England most of my life.

If I choose to be EU applicant then I get free fees, if English I pay 9K a year. However, I've heard rumours that it's harder to get in (i.e. the offers are fewer and harder grades) for EU than English so that would be to my detriment if I chose EU? I'd rather pay the extra in fees if it improved my chances of getting in. Any truth in this?
Firstly you cannot choose to be EU or not. This depends where you lived. Also it is more difficult to get in as an EU student. EU students pay no fees so the Scottish system has strict caps in place over the numbers universities can accept. This results in the people getting in needing to get really high grades. There has been comments on here from EU students who have exceeded the minimum entry standard but got rejected by places like Edinburgh.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Firstly you cannot choose to be EU or not. This depends where you lived. Also it is more difficult to get in as an EU student. EU students pay no fees so the Scottish system has strict caps in place over the numbers universities can accept. This results in the people getting in needing to get really high grades. There has been comments on here from EU students who have exceeded the minimum entry standard but got rejected by places like Edinburgh.

No, I can't choose but I can appeal the Scottish Uni's decision to class me as "EU" and not English. After all I lived in England since I was 2 have a British Dad and British passport. If I have to meet a higher standard to get in as "EU" then I'd rather apply as "English". Are you sure EU students need much higher grades - I can't find anything that says this anywhere.
Original post by dougieW
No, I can't choose but I can appeal the Scottish Uni's decision to class me as "EU" and not English. After all I lived in England since I was 2 have a British Dad and British passport. If I have to meet a higher standard to get in as "EU" then I'd rather apply as "English". Are you sure EU students need much higher grades - I can't find anything that says this anywhere.

Yes there have been people on here applying with A*A*A in the past for AAA and being rejected by the likes of Edinburgh. The dont have a policy I dont think but by restricting the EU numbers it forces the entry standard up.
https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/capped-scotland-places-make-university-access-harder-1-4702220http://www.sec-ed.co.uk/news/fear-that-scotlands-cap-on-university-numbers-is-locking-out-scottish-students/
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
You will only be classed as EU if you have been resident in the European Union (excluding England, Wales, and Northern Ireland) for the three years previous to the start of your course.
Reply 6
Original post by Gwil
You will only be classed as EU if you have been resident in the European Union (excluding England, Wales, and Northern Ireland) for the three years previous to the start of your course.

Sorry that's not right. I've lived in England since 2004 and they classed me as EU for fee status. I've answered all their questions about nationality and residence yet they still class me as EU. My Mum is Spanish, Dad British. I'm considering accepting their definition of my status even though I feel much more English than Spanish as I will get free tuition ... even though the offer might be harder to achieve.
Original post by dougieW
Sorry that's not right. I've lived in England since 2004 and they classed me as EU for fee status. I've answered all their questions about nationality and residence yet they still class me as EU. My Mum is Spanish, Dad British. I'm considering accepting their definition of my status even though I feel much more English than Spanish as I will get free tuition ... even though the offer might be harder to achieve.

in that case they have made a mistake. it doesnt matter about where you or your parents are from. It is where you resided

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status
(edited 4 years ago)
They haven’t made a mistake, they do it quite a lot, it’s happened to me too.
Original post by pinkbluegreen71
They haven’t made a mistake, they do it quite a lot, it’s happened to me too.

Then it was a mistake for you too. The rules are the same for everyone. What fees you pay depends on where you resided in the 3 years before going to university. It has nothing to do with your parents or your Nationality. It is difficult to see why a Scottish university would accept a student as an EU student and receive no fees rather than an English one where fees are paid.
Original post by swanseajack1
in that case they have made a mistake. it doesnt matter about where you or your parents are from. It is where you resided

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status

You have quoted the fee determination information for England. The equivalent for Scotland is here: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Scotland-fee-status

Note under tab 3, EU nationals and family:

No eligibility for 'RUK' fee
If you meet all the conditions of this category, you will be eligible for the ‘home’ fee. There is no eligibility for the middle rate / 'RUK' fee under this category.

In other words, if you can qualify as EU then you will qualify as EU. Yes, it is a matter of residency, but until Brexit England is still in the EU. So having an EU parent and residing somewhere in the EU (including England) will make you "home" for Scottish student fee purposes.

I have argued before that the Scottish Government quota imposed on home (Scottish/EU) places is unfair. Why should Scottish students have a harder time getting into their own universities than Welsh or American students? But, hey, that's the decision of the democratically elected Scottish parliament --- if they can get a place, Scottish and EU students end up paying significantly less by way of tuition fees than those from the rest of the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending