The Student Room Group

Can't cover tuition fees

Hi, I've received an offer from University of Birmingham for an undergraduate computer science course as international student. However, I cannot cover the tuition fees (£22260/year). I'm from Syria and my family barely makes around £1500. I really want to study there. Any advice of how I can deal with that? like scholarships or sponsors ...etc
Original post by HamSal
Hi, I've received an offer from University of Birmingham for an undergraduate computer science course as international student. However, I cannot cover the tuition fees (£22260/year). I'm from Syria and my family barely makes around £1500. I really want to study there. Any advice of how I can deal with that? like scholarships or sponsors ...etc

Are you in Syria or the UK?
Why did you apply if you know you couldnt afford it?
If you are in the UK then where are you studying?
Are you applying for or have been granted refugee status?
If you are in the UK, then when did you arrive?

Scholarships which cover fees and maintenance are extremely rare as well as competitive. Unfortunately UK students also have to pay tens of thousands for their education as well.

Birmingham has a scholarship database here.
Scholarships and bursaries tend to be for lower amounts low thousands.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/funding/index.aspx?subject__taxonomyDropDownList=0%2f1%2f3112%2f3114%2f3135%2f3183&feeCat__taxonomyDropDownList=0%2f1%2f3112%2f3115%2f3130

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/funding/Article-26-Scholarship.aspx
Usually international students have their tuition fees paid for by their respective governments.

Have you applied without any involvement of the Syrian government?
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger

Scholarships which cover fees and maintenance are extremely rare as well as competitive. Unfortunately UK students also have to pay tens of thousands for their education as well.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/funding/index.aspx?subject__taxonomyDropDownList=0%2f1%2f3112%2f3114%2f3135%2f3183&feeCat__taxonomyDropDownList=0%2f1%2f3112%2f3115%2f3130

I live in Syria and I've never been to UK.
tbh I firstly applied for the PwC partnership program (where tuition fees are covered by PwC as well as Living expenses), but the offer I received is for the standard computer science course. So I'm now trying to figure out a way to not miss the chance. I've looked at the scholarship database but the ones I'm eligible to cover only a very small amount compared to the tuition fees.
Reply 4
Original post by CTLeafez
Usually international students have their tuition fees paid for by their respective governments.

Have you applied without any involvement of the Syrian government?

Unfortunately, they don't pay the tuition fees for such cases.
Reply 5

I live in Syria and I've never been to UK.tbh I firstly applied for the PwC partnership program (where tuition fees are covered by PwC as well as Living expenses), but the offer I received is for the standard computer science course. So I'm now trying to figure out a way to not miss the chance. I've looked at the scholarship database but the ones I'm eligible to cover only a very small amount compared to the tuition fees.
Move over here, get a job then be resident for either three or five years; I’m pretty sure that will make you eligible to receive SFE funding but double check that as I’m not sure
Original post by HamSal
I live in Syria and I've never been to UK.
tbh I firstly applied for the PwC partnership program (where tuition fees are covered by PwC as well as Living expenses), but the offer I received is for the standard computer science course. So I'm now trying to figure out a way to not miss the chance. I've looked at the scholarship database but the ones I'm eligible to cover only a very small amount compared to the tuition fees.

That will be the case with 99% of them.
Education is a product , which costs money.
Unfortunately if you dont have money, then in most cases universities are unwilling to provide services for free.
Even then you need to be in the exceptional category because competition is fierce.
Try richer universities like Oxbridge.
Students who study internationally either have backing from their government or rich parents.
Most scholarships are targeted at the needy from the UK because funding comes from the taxes and UK student contributions.

There are other scholarships, but am not sure any of it has been centrally collated, so its down to google as far as I know.
Unfortunately study in the UK is extremely expensive for international students as you see. You might like to look at some universities in Europe (such as in Germany) since usually tuition fees are a lot lower even for international students, and are sometimes free for all students apart from one or two one off payments for enrolling or similar. That might give you the opportunity to study abroad without having to pay such high fees :smile: you could then always consider the UK for graduate studies if you wanted to continue to that, as there might be some more funding opportunities for international students undertaking a PhD.
Original post by HamSal
I live in Syria and I've never been to UK.tbh I firstly applied for the PwC partnership program (where tuition fees are covered by PwC as well as Living expenses), but the offer I received is for the standard computer science course. So I'm now trying to figure out a way to not miss the chance. I've looked at the scholarship database but the ones I'm eligible to cover only a very small amount compared to the tuition fees.

Does that mean you have been awarded fees by PWC, just not maintenance? If that was the case go back and explain then offer to work for min wage on an internship so you could save the money for maintenance. Tbh I am quite amazed Syria is capable of sending students abroad considering the conflict. Ofc you living there will have a much better handle on how day to day life is affected.
Reply 10
Does that mean you have been awarded fees by PWC, just not maintenance? If that was the case go back and explain then offer to work for min wage on an internship so you could save the money for maintenance. Tbh I am quite amazed Syria is capable of sending students abroad considering the conflict. Ofc you living there will have a much better handle on how day to day life is affected.

No I haven't been awarded anything from PwC, the offer I got is for the standard course. I need a way to pay for both fees and maintenance. Can I cover them both by working while studying? If not then how can I finance my study? Aren't there like companies that can sponsor me and in return I can work for them while I'm studying or/and after I graduate? I'll do whatever it takes to study in the UK.
Also thank you for your feelings about my country.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by HamSal
No I haven't been awarded anything from PwC, the offer I got is for the standard course. I need a way to pay for both fees and maintenance. Can I cover them both by working while studying? If
Thank you for your feelings about my country.

There is no way you are going to find a job that pays over £30,000 per year that can be fitted in with pursuing full time studies properly as well. Then there is the fact that you are not likely to get a work permit I wouldn't have thought. Without pwc funding this is a non-starter I am afraid.
Original post by HamSal
No I haven't been awarded anything from PwC, the offer I got is for the standard course. I need a way to pay for both fees and maintenance. Can I cover them both by working while studying? If
Thank you for your feelings about my country.

You wont be given:
1. Uni accept you to study unless you can show you have the money to pay.
2. No visa as you have to show you have the full uni fees plus savings so you can fund yourself for the course.
3. You could only work 20 hours a week as stated in a visa, which is about £147 gross. There would be no guarantees of a job.
Your rent would take nearly all that.

All the offer means is they will let you study if you pay them the money. This can be upfront and sometimes 100% before you start or within a few weeks. It is unrealistic and wouldnt happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending