The Student Room Group

SFE funding with mitigating circumstances

My girlfriend is on her 4th year of studying after completing two years of retakes. Her first year of retakes, the university covered the tuition fees, making it only three years that SFE has covered so far. I'm aware SFE covers the tuition length + a gift year. When speaking to SFP, they have told her that the year in which the university covered the tuition fees, it still counted as a year of funding from SFE. How does this make any sense? And is there anyway she could go about fixing this?
Original post by LegumeStank
My girlfriend is on her 4th year of studying after completing two years of retakes. Her first year of retakes, the university covered the tuition fees, making it only three years that SFE has covered so far. I'm aware SFE covers the tuition length + a gift year. When speaking to SFP, they have told her that the year in which the university covered the tuition fees, it still counted as a year of funding from SFE. How does this make any sense? And is there anyway she could go about fixing this?

Hi there,

If you get her to contact us on 0300 100 0607 or the live chat in her account we can help her with this. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

If you get her to contact us on 0300 100 0607 or the live chat in her account we can help her with this. Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason, thanks for the reply, this is after talking with SFE. Is there anything SFE would be able to to do? After calling, the only option was to submit evidence as to why she could not compete the year.
Original post by LegumeStank
Hi Jason, thanks for the reply, this is after talking with SFE. Is there anything SFE would be able to to do? After calling, the only option was to submit evidence as to why she could not compete the year.

We look at the full previous study. So if she's repeated twice (and we've funded once for the gift year) then the advice on the phone would be correct, she would need to submit CPR evidence as to why she couldn't complete the previous year. Even if a student has paid a year themselves or studied outwith the UK we would take all previous years into account. We can't access accounts on this platform but from the calculation it would be the CPR evidence: I've enclosed further information here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending