The Student Room Group

is it true that an average person burns 1800 calories a day without exercise

I heard that on average, people burn 1800 calories which makes sense because for example a person who eats 2000 calories a day and maybe goes for walks/ does gym to burn about 200-400 calories, they would maintain they're same weight because they burn 1800 anyway from sleeping, walking, moving around etc just everyday stuff but not going gym. please explain if this is true, thanks.
Original post by fryingpan09
I heard that on average, people burn 1800 calories which makes sense because for example a person who eats 2000 calories a day and maybe goes for walks/ does gym to burn about 200-400 calories, they would maintain they're same weight because they burn 1800 anyway from sleeping, walking, moving around etc just everyday stuff but not going gym. please explain if this is true, thanks.

No it’s not true
Yes, it's called the basal metabolic rate (BMR). This is pretty much the base level of energy your body consumes just to exist - even coma patients use energy just to keep breathing, keep liver function going, and continue pumping blood around their bodies! It does however depend on your height/weight and age among other factors so will vary between individuals. Fitness levels can also shift the rate apparently, although I don't think this is as easily quantified.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
thankyou for your response
You can estimate your BMR and your TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) on this site https://tdeecalculator.net/.
No that's not possible, you have to exercise to burn calories.
Reply 6
Original post by Lyndsey.95
No that's not possible, you have to exercise to burn calories.

well, the fact that your heart is beating, you're burning calories. It's more around 1200 calories, for complete normal day, like work/school. little to no walk.

Quick Reply

Latest