The Student Room Group

Friendship drama?

How do I deal with friendship drama close to exams? I don't want to go into detail on the situation, but essentially one person in my friendship group absolutely hates me and there's nothing I can do to change that (trust me, it's all been tried). I've only 15 weeks until my A levels start, and I can't let this affect my grades- do you have any advice on how to let go and move on?
Definitely drop that person. You shouldn't have to be making an excessive effort to try to please someone or change their opinion on you. Don't waste your time, you should spend it revising instead of trying to please someone who can't see your worth.

If you really feel like you need to sort it out with this person try to ask them why they dislike you so much so you can clear any misunderstandings but if you feel like this is affecting your grade cut contact with them.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Definitely drop that person. You shouldn't have to be making an excessive effort to try to please someone or change their opinion on you. Don't waste your time, you should spend it revising instead of trying to please someone who can't see your worth.

If you really feel like you need to sort it out with this person try to ask them why they dislike you so much so you can clear any misunderstandings but if you feel like this is affecting your grade cut contact with them.

Thank you for your support! I definitely am not trying to resolve this- all my attempts thus far have failed and I'm probably never going to see the person again come October. Problem is, we're both a part of the same (very tight-knit) friendship group, and I don't have anyone else to hang out with... Do you have any advice as to how I can avoid being upset by this person's anger towards me while having to be in close proximity to them?
Thank you for your support! I definitely am not trying to resolve this- all my attempts thus far have failed and I'm probably never going to see the person again come October. Problem is, we're both a part of the same (very tight-knit) friendship group, and I don't have anyone else to hang out with... Do you have any advice as to how I can avoid being upset by this person's anger towards me while having to be in close proximity to them?

Why are they angry at you? Maybe if you could empathise more with their opinion you would be less affected by it.
Reply 4
Original post by Knortfoxx
Why are they angry at you? Maybe if you could empathise more with their opinion you would be less affected by it.

They wanted me to take a pride flag down from my locker because they're against gay marriage (I'm gay) and I was 'making them feel like a bad person'. Naturally, I refused (in a very nice manner, might I add- I just explained to them that it was very important to me, and I wouldn't ask them to stop wearing crosses because I'm Jewish). They responded by telling half the year that I'm a 'heterophobe' who's bullying them for being straight (luckily no one believed them). They also keep totally misinterpreting things I say- whenever I even vaguely disagree with them about totally inane stuff (stuff like when should we eat lunch, which cafe should we go to) they act like I'm attacking them and am being unfair. Recently I told someone else that I was excited to go to her party, and they got upset because they weren't looking forward to the party. Can't make this sh*t up. Sorry for ranting!
They wanted me to take a pride flag down from my locker because they're against gay marriage (I'm gay) and I was 'making them feel like a bad person'. Naturally, I refused (in a very nice manner, might I add- I just explained to them that it was very important to me, and I wouldn't ask them to stop wearing crosses because I'm Jewish). They responded by telling half the year that I'm a 'heterophobe' who's bullying them for being straight (luckily no one believed them). They also keep totally misinterpreting things I say- whenever I even vaguely disagree with them about totally inane stuff (stuff like when should we eat lunch, which cafe should we go to) they act like I'm attacking them and am being unfair. Recently I told someone else that I was excited to go to her party, and they got upset because they weren't looking forward to the party. Can't make this sh*t up. Sorry for ranting!

Gotta feel bad for someone like that tbh. For a 17-year-old to behave like that, it's just **** parenting - can't blame someone for who their parents are.
Reply 6
Original post by Knortfoxx
Gotta feel bad for someone like that tbh. For a 17-year-old to behave like that, it's just **** parenting - can't blame someone for who their parents are.

Yeah, totally agree, I do feel bad for her- that's why I haven't reported her or anything. Thanks mate.
Dislike and being civil is one thing but hate is another. The fact of the matter is, you have the right to not be treated in such way. if he hates you, i guess he has issues here by definition (unless you stabbed his mum or something which you probably didn't). Why please such a person by asking how you can change when the real person that needs changing is them. Try talk to this person and seek a fair and empathetic resolution with them. You deserve friends who are going to be accepting of you for all your mistakes and successes. Perhaps really keeping your distance from him; if everyone else in your friendship group is approving of the situation, it says a lot about them too. Exams are exams so you don't necessarily need your friendship group anymore in classes and stuff. You can always go to a different college or 6th form and try new friendship groups out. Hope these suggestions help :smile:

No problem! It is probably going to be incredibly awkward hanging out with them and your other friends and there's nothing much you can do but ignore them. Try your best to forget they're even there, there probably will be some awkward moments but try to engage in conversation with your other friends instead of focusing on that person and their anger for you. If you feel really stressed out because of this person you should try to tell your other friends to see if they can do anything to resolve the situation. I wish you the best!
Reply 9
How do I deal with friendship drama close to exams? I don't want to go into detail on the situation, but essentially one person in my friendship group absolutely hates me and there's nothing I can do to change that (trust me, it's all been tried). I've only 15 weeks until my A levels start, and I can't let this affect my grades- do you have any advice on how to let go and move on?

You drop that toxic friend and keep in touch with the other ones separately!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending