The Student Room Group

Ilhan Omar DID marry her brother - reveals Somali community leader

If you live in or have connection to immigrant communities, you know very well that family based immigration fraud is rampant - cases involving fraudulent family relationships in order to get immigration benefit are dime a dozen.

I think that's precisely what happened here. Unlike some who thinks Omar actually married her brother to "start a family", I do not think they had any such plans. This is most likely what happened - when Omar's family was granted asylum, her brother aged out (over 21), or, was already married, and couldn't immigrate with the rest of the family. Now, married children or over 21 children of US citizens can come to US as legal permanent resident but the wait is over 10 years, due to the preference category system. However, there is no wait for spouse of USC, just the application processing time which is about 3 months. So, the motive is clear.

What do you think?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8013283/Ilhan-Omar-DID-marry-brother-reveals-Somali-community-leader.html

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kuffar Sheikh
If you live in or have connection to immigrant communities, you know very well that family based immigration fraud is rampant - cases involving fraudulent family relationships in order to get immigration benefit are dime a dozen.

I think that's precisely what happened here. Unlike some who thinks Omar actually married her brother to "start a family", I do not think they had any such plans. This is most likely what happened - when Omar's family was granted asylum, her brother aged out (over 21), or, was already married, and couldn't immigrate with the rest of the family. Now, married children or over 21 children of US citizens can come to US as legal permanent resident but the wait is over 10 years, due to the preference category system. However, there is no wait for spouse of USC, just the application processing time which is about 3 months. So, the motive is clear.

What do you think?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8013283/Ilhan-Omar-DID-marry-brother-reveals-Somali-community-leader.html

EWWW

What do you think?

If it did happen, nobody cares.
Original post by Wired_1800
If it did happen, nobody cares.

Should we care?
Should we care?

No we should not. Not our problem.
Original post by Sumi Shanks
EWWW

You're probably thinking they did all the husband/wife things. She was still living with her "ex" husband (who she later "re" married after divorcing her brother) at the same time she was married to her brother.
Original post by Wired_1800
No we should not. Not our problem.

Our = ?
presuming your interested in American politics.. or are American, then yes you should care. An influential politician having carried out immigration fraud is a pretty serious thing. The brother stuff is irrelevant here, except for it making headlines and giving those with a racist angle a bit to play with.. the fact that its a crime is what matters.

I doubt it will largely matter to her supporters. They are abolish-boarder types in general, so someone getting around boarder restrictions even by illigal means, won't really be a problem.
Our = ?

British people.

This is an American problem between Donald Trump, his base and the Black/Arab Democrats.
You're probably thinking they did all the husband/wife things. She was still living with her "ex" husband (who she later "re" married after divorcing her brother) at the same time she was married to her brother.

Doesnt matter. Who marries their own brother for green card?
The evidence seems a little thin, more likely someone out to make quick buck for their "shock" story.
Original post by DiddyDec
The evidence seems a little thin, more likely someone out to make quick buck for their "shock" story.

the suspicious thing is that its something that's very easily disproved if false. These rumours have been stickign around for a while now, with bits of evidence coming in, but nothing conclusive. If it wasn't true it would be very easy for her to provide the passports/birth certificates and migration papers that prove it 100% false.
Original post by fallen_acorns
the suspicious thing is that its something that's very easily disproved if false. These rumours have been stickign around for a while now, with bits of evidence coming in, but nothing conclusive. If it wasn't true it would be very easy for her to provide the passports/birth certificates and migration papers that prove it 100% false.

The rumours of Obama being born in Kenya stuck around for a while as well, American politics loves character assassinations whether true or not someone will believe it.
The rumours of Obama being born in Kenya stuck around for a while as well, American politics loves character assassinations whether true or not someone will believe it.

true.. but after his birth certificate was published, it moved to the fringes. I imagine the same thing would happen here.. obviously there will always be some crazy people who will disbelieve anything she provides, but the majority, like with obama, would accept the proof if it was provided.
These allegations are unproven and are being pounced on because racist men cannot bear so see a woman in a hijab in such power and influence - she's here to stay, sorry :smile:
Original post by fallen_acorns
true.. but after his birth certificate was published, it moved to the fringes. I imagine the same thing would happen here.. obviously there will always be some crazy people who will disbelieve anything she provides, but the majority, like with obama, would accept the proof if it was provided.

How would you go about getting birth certificates from war torn Somali?

Consider that in order to enter the US her alleged brother would have had to go through the rigourous US immigration system and vetting. If she married her brother don't you think they would have picked up on that?
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
These allegations are unproven and are being pounced on because racist men cannot bear so see a woman in a hijab in such power and influence - she's here to stay, sorry :smile:

I think we have now moved to guilty until proven innocent. We create claims and stories then demand the accused prove their innocence rather than the other way.

She clearly may get into a bad situation, if she is required to defend herself by trying to seek supporting evidence from Somalia. The reaction may be, “oh, we knew it. She cannot provide any evidence”.

Original post by BlueIndigoViolet

This was first published in the Star Tribune, one of the most absolutely left wing newspapers in the US. The allegations were made by other Somalis.

She lived with both of her husband's at the SAME ADDRESS at the SAME TIME. That's documented in their taxes. Not to mention, she filed taxes jointly with her former husband WHILE being married to her "brother". These are documented.
This was first published in the Star Tribune, one of the most absolutely left wing newspapers in the US. The allegations were made by other Somalis.

She lived with both of her husband's at the SAME ADDRESS at the SAME TIME. That's documented in their taxes. Not to mention, she filed taxes jointly with her former husband WHILE being married to her "brother". These are documented.

Allegations without any actual evidence remain as allegations. It doesn't matter who made the allegations if they are unfounded.

I refer you to my previous post.

Consider that in order to enter the US her alleged brother would have had to go through the rigorous US immigration system and vetting. If she married her brother don't you think they would have picked up on that?
Reply 19
I'm inclined to ask; so what?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending