The Student Room Group

Vegans from a dairy farmers point of view.

(Anon because Ik what some people are like)

A lot of vegans (not all) are some of the most horrible people I’ve ever met, considering they supposedly fight for the rights of these animals they surely don’t consider the feelings of people much.

Unless you live with and care for these animals on a daily basis you have no right to comment on how they “feel” and honestly nobody can 100% know how an animal feels, we guess from their behaviour based on our own behaviours and I can say with full confidence the people that share their entire lives with these animals know a hell of a lot better what a happy animal looks like compared to those who’ve seen them maybe once or twice in their lives and a couple of videos online.

Something I’ve seen frequently is people comparing cows / other farm animals to humans or dogs which quite simply is a stupid argument, we have completely different instincts, desires and needs, where a cow would be happy to lie in a field all day within a herd of others (because it’s in there nature) just eating and resting a human would not, we have a much greater knowledge of what’s out there and awareness of the world which is something these animals will never understand which means guess what? They don’t miss it because they’ve never experienced it so how could they? They don’t know it exists and never would even in the wild. These animals are born and raised in these conditions and as long as they are treated with respect and cared for then far as I can tell they are perfectly happy and content with their lives.

Of course there is a lot of animal abuse in the world and I agree with many vegans how wrong this is, factory farms and inhuman slaughter houses, do I know it all exists? Yes, am I ignoring it? No but that’s not to say every single thing we do to an animal is abusing it, I have an immense guilty conscience and I care for the animals I look after as much as If they were my family and it pains me to see them in pain because they are such beautiful creatures and they are living but the things we have to do to them (such as tag their ears and separate calves from there mothers which is only done once the calf is a few days old and both mother and calf quickly adjust) are necessary for both the animals and the people they come in contact withs safety, we upset the animals as little as we can and only do what is absolutely necessary.

Eating meat is natural, if you don’t want to do it that’s fine but you can’t argue that it isn’t, so many animals eat meat and IMO as long as you give the animal a good life before then there is nothing wrong with. Factory farms and animals raised in poor conditions their whole lives should be stopped, this IS wrong but saying all farming is abuse? Grow up and spend a few weeks looking after these animals (the way good farmers do) and you’ll soon realise it’s not.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Something I’ve seen frequently is people comparing cows / other farm animals to humans or dogs which quite simply is a stupid argument, we have completely different instincts, desires and needs, where a cow would be happy to lie in a field all day within a herd of others (because it’s in there nature) just eating and resting a human would not, we have a much greater knowledge of what’s out there and awareness of the world which is something these animals will never understand which means guess what? They don’t miss it because they’ve never experienced it so how could they? They don’t know it exists and never would even in the wild. These animals are born and raised in these conditions and as long as they are treated with respect and cared for then far as I can tell they are perfectly happy and content with their lives.

Eating meat is natural, if you don’t want to do it that’s fine but you can’t argue that it isn’t, so many animals eat meat and IMO as long as you give the animal a good life before then there is nothing wrong with. Factory farms and animals raised in poor conditions their whole lives should be stopped, this IS wrong but saying all farming is abuse? Grow up and spend a few weeks looking after these animals (the way good farmers do) and you’ll soon realise it’s not.

PRSOM on the bold.
As someone who has grown up on a small farm, I totally agree with you on this.
Not all vegans are bad, but organizations like PETA are horrible. They say their for animals, but the closest thing they have ever gotten to a cow or a chicken was a biased youtube video they watched when they were 4.
Its fine to not want to eat meat / use animal products, but dont try and force it on others.
Reply 2
Original post by LovelyMrFox
PRSOM on the bold.
As someone who has grown up on a small farm, I totally agree with you on this.
Not all vegans are bad, but organizations like PETA are horrible. They say their for animals, but the closest thing they have ever gotten to a cow or a chicken was a biased youtube video they watched when they were 4.
Its fine to not want to eat meat / use animal products, but dont try and force it on others.

Totally agree, most of the arguments made by these organisations are completely biased, circumstantial and quite frankly idiotic.

The only reason vegans get such a bad rep is because some try to force their ideology onto everyone else, trying to raise awareness for REAL abuse is great but trying to get the whole population to stop doing something completely natural just because you don’t want to is part of the problem.
Farmers do a fantastic job, you should get a lot more appreciation than you do :yes:
Reply 4
Original post by CoolCavy
Farmers do a fantastic job, you should get a lot more appreciation than you do :yes:

Thank you very much! 😁
Thank you very much! 😁

No problem at all :smile: Last year i had to do a survey on dairy farming for my uni work and the stuff you all have to put up with is insane, you all work incredibly hard :smile:
Do you encounter vegans in real life or just online?
Reply 7
Original post by YaliaV
Do you encounter vegans in real life or just online?

Both usually the ones you mean it person are decent though or don’t share more controversial views.
Reply 8
Totally agree, most of the arguments made by these organisations are completely biased, circumstantial and quite frankly idiotic.

The only reason vegans get such a bad rep is because some try to force their ideology onto everyone else, trying to raise awareness for REAL abuse is great but trying to get the whole population to stop doing something completely natural just because you don’t want to is part of the problem.

Exactly.
Ive seen some things online ( serious ones, not even jokes ) about how PETA and other organizations think that cats, dogs, horses, pet rabbits etc etc should be released into the wild. Like no? They would put off balance to the ecosystem which would cause thousands of animals to die? And domesticated animals wouldnt even survive in the wilderness.
As an example one time my cat got out onetime ( shes an indoor cat ). She wandered around the backyard, and the next morning she was sitting on our front porch asking to come back in. Modern pet animals are bred for the indoors. They dont want to be outside. Its ridiculous.
Reply 9
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Exactly.
Ive seen some things online ( serious ones, not even jokes ) about how PETA and other organizations think that cats, dogs, horses, pet rabbits etc etc should be released into the wild. Like no? They would put off balance to the ecosystem which would cause thousands of animals to die? And domesticated animals wouldnt even survive in the wilderness.
As an example one time my cat got out onetime ( shes an indoor cat ). She wandered around the backyard, and the next morning she was sitting on our front porch asking to come back in. Modern pet animals are bred for the indoors. They dont want to be outside. Its ridiculous.

Yeah honestly some people just don’t think about it properly.

Then they make the argument of “oh but if we didn’t breed them this way or do this in the first place then they’d be fine.” And it’s like yeah ok fair enough but it’s a bit late now love what do you want us to do just let them all die? they wouldn’t like that either.

Honestly I don’t understand why they think it’s abuse keeping animals inside or in fenced fields like they don’t know any different? They’ve been raised in these places and if you give them the choice a lot of them will happily go in themselves, my mums horses for example will wait at the gate to be brought into the stables.

It’s not like we all want to contain animals and not let them be free, they’re kept inside so they’re safe, if all farm and domestic animals were allowed to roam freely so many would get killed by cars or drown in swimming pools etc. It’s not just about having easy access to them it’s about there own and everyone else’s safety.
Reply 10
Yeah honestly some people just don’t think about it properly.

Then they make the argument of “oh but if we didn’t breed them this way or do this in the first place then they’d be fine.” And it’s like yeah ok fair enough but it’s a bit late now love what do you want us to do just let them all die? they wouldn’t like that either.

Honestly I don’t understand why they think it’s abuse keeping animals inside or in fenced fields like they don’t know any different? They’ve been raised in these places and if you give them the choice a lot of them will happily go in themselves, my mums horses for example will wait at the gate to be brought into the stables.

It’s not like we all want to contain animals and not let them be free, they’re kept inside so they’re safe, if all farm and domestic animals were allowed to roam freely so many would get killed by cars or drown in swimming pools etc. It’s not just about having easy access to them it’s about there own and everyone else’s safety.

This about sums it up. I couldnt put any of that better myself.
(Anon because Ik what some people are like)

A lot of vegans (not all) are some of the most horrible people I’ve ever met, considering they supposedly fight for the rights of these animals they surely don’t consider the feelings of people much.

Unless you live with and care for these animals on a daily basis you have no right to comment on how they “feel” and honestly nobody can 100% know how an animal feels, we guess from their behaviour based on our own behaviours and I can say with full confidence the people that share their entire lives with these animals know a hell of a lot better what a happy animal looks like compared to those who’ve seen them maybe once or twice in their lives and a couple of videos online.

Of course there is a lot of animal abuse in the world and I agree with many vegans how wrong this is, factory farms and inhuman slaughter houses, do I know it all exists? Yes, am I ignoring it? No but that’s not to say every single thing we do to an animal is abusing it, I have an immense guilty conscience and I care for the animals I look after as much as If they were my family and it pains me to see them in pain because they are such beautiful creatures and they are living but the things we have to do to them (such as tag their ears and separate calves from there mothers which is only done once the calf is a few days old and both mother and calf quickly adjust) are necessary for both the animals and the people they come in contact withs safety, we upset the animals as little as we can and only do what is absolutely necessary.

Hey look, I am with you here. I have a vegan son ( and quite frankly it is a bit tiring - but I respect his point of view) I am a carnivore but also I try to be a caring carnivore. I eat free range or organic. But I also support farmers - farming is one of the oldest jobs in the world and you have had a tough time of it in recent decades.

Bizarrely, my daughter is a vegetarian ( sigh, other son also vegetarian...) but her boyfriend is not and his dad has a sheep farm on the welsh border which my daughter regularly goes to.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Hey look, I am with you here. I have a vegan son ( and quite frankly it is a bit tiring - but I respect his point of view) I am a carnivore but also I try to be a caring carnivore. I eat free range or organic. But I also support farmers - farming is one of the oldest jobs in the world and you have had a tough time of it in recent decades.

Bizarrely, my daughter is a vegetarian ( sigh, other son also vegetarian...) but her boyfriend is not and his dad has a sheep farm on the welsh border which my daughter regularly goes to.

That’s nice to hear, I have no problem with people being vegan, it’s a personal choice that I respect. It’s just those who think it’s ok to verbally abuse the farmers who try their best or people who eat meat based on uneducated points that I have a problem with.

We appreciate the support, it’s nice to know there’s still people outside of our community that understand 🙂. It’s really good you purchase organic and free range, best way to be in my opinion if you can, supports the good, caring people usually and of course often supports better conditions for the animals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending