The Student Room Group

Why do people say ‘should of’ instead of ‘should have’

Does it annoy anyone else when people, both in speech and in text, say ‘should of’ instead of ‘should have’?
For example, “I really should of asked first” instead of “I really should have asked first”
It just really bugs me sometimes :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

It bugs me when people say they "can't be asked". :/
Reply 2
Original post by Sabertooth

Omg yes! Like what is “can’t be asked”? 😂 It makes so much more sense for it to mean “can’t be arsed”, like “I can’t be bothered to get off my ass to do it”
It bothers me so much ugh. It's literally primary school grammar come on :lol:
Why do people think this deserves to be posted on anonymous?
Reply 5
😂😂
Reply 6
Saying 'should have' fast usually ends up sounding like 'should of'. You might just be hearing it wrong?
Reply 7
Original post by peachystudy
It bothers me so much ugh. It's literally primary school grammar come on :lol:

Exactly :’D

I didn't even know that was a saying, up until @Nialler x told me :laugh:
I see this in YouTube comment sections quite a bit and it stops me from liking the actual post in question.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Saying 'should have' fast usually ends up sounding like 'should of'. You might just be hearing it wrong?

It’s even when they’re typing it too 😅 always saying should of instead of should have
Original post by AM.TSR
I didn't even know that was a saying, up until @Nialler x told me :laugh:

Haha lmao, it's a polite version of can't be a*sed :rofl3:
Original post by Nialler x

Doesn't even sound polite, it just sounds more annoying 😂
Original post by Nialler x

It's the "I am an idiot" version.
Original post by WoodlandSorcerer
Why do people think this deserves to be posted on anonymous?

Probably cuz OP is a grammar police hence he/she doesn't want to expose themselves
If someone wants to punch me for saying should of they can but I honestly don't care unless you're paying me to speak well I shall continue to make grammatical errors for my entire existence.
Reply 16
a daily annoyance

almost certainly owing to the contraction 'would've'

Another thing that miffs me is 'why' instead of 'while', which I think is limited to just a couple of towns.
Original post by Anonymous
Does it annoy anyone else when people, both in speech and in text, say ‘should of’ instead of ‘should have’?
For example, “I really should of asked first” instead of “I really should have asked first”

English stack exchange strikes again: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/48686/how-did-the-use-of-could-of-and-should-of-originate-and-is-it-considered-co

Basically, and are right, but if you're a syntax pedant you can say that it's a "variant of have arising through misapprehension of the verb (when occurring as a clitic) as showing of." Frankly, though, it seems to have been kicking about since the 1800s, so probably time to just accept it's a feature of colloquial English... :dontknow:
Original post by Anonymous

Is it worse than people saying 'gotten' instead of got or 'less' when they mean 'fewer'?
Original post by AM.TSR
Doesn't even sound polite, it just sounds more annoying 😂

Trust me mate, it's the 'I like to boil people's blood' version :angry:

It's the "I am an idiot" version.

Yes and that version too lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending