The Student Room Group

Student Finance & Universal Credit Lone Parent

Hi. I'm due to start university in September. Im worried about my universal credit claim. I have a toddler. My student finance is £13,352.00 with £3893.00 being special support element. And then I get the PLA @ £1766. So universal credit should only calculate £9459 as income right? And do you loose the standard allowance element of universal credit? I have included my universal credit details below. Any help would be appreciated. Im just trying to work out my monthly entitlement roughly as I tried to call universal credit which was no help. Thanks
Personal element or standard allowance £ 409.89
Child element £ 235.83
Rent £ 563.03
Paid every 28th of the month.
Reply 1
I'm also interested in understanding.. i also have a toddler. Ive gained full maintenance loan of £9203, however they've not said anything about the parent learning grant? I'm a solo parent too. Im also on UC and can't gain any info ... I've read so many conflicting articles.. but there's no way the maintenance loan will suffice for me
Reply 2
Original post by Natlou88
I'm also interested in understanding.. i also have a toddler. Ive gained full maintenance loan of £9203, however they've not said anything about the parent learning grant? I'm a solo parent too. Im also on UC and can't gain any info ... I've read so many conflicting articles.. but there's no way the maintenance loan will suffice for me

There's so many different things online. Im just going to have to wait and see. You can apply separate if it didn't add the parental learners grant. You log into student finance and at the bottom it will say something like apply for extra support. Im just hoping I can get a grant with the uni direct aswel otherwise it won't work at all cos I won't be able to afford a thing.
Reply 3
Hello - I wonder if you could give me some advice about the special support element please? I am a single parent of a 3 year old, and I’m starting Uni in September. I’ve been awarded the full maintenance loan (for studying outside London). Someone asked me whether I have claimed the special support element. I wasn’t aware of it - is it an additional loan/grant on top of the maintenance loan? I have found it so difficult trying to get information about this and also about claiming UC. Everyone I speak to seems to give me a different answer. I’m starting to become concerned that I won’t have enough money to cover us while I’m studying. I’d be grateful for any advice you could give me - thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DeeR63
Hello - I wonder if you could give me some advice about the special support element please? I am a single parent of a 3 year old, and I’m starting Uni in September. I’ve been awarded the full maintenance loan (for studying outside London). Someone asked me whether I have claimed the special support element. I wasn’t aware of it - is it an additional loan/grant on top of the maintenance loan? I have found it so difficult trying to get information about this and also about claiming UC. Everyone I speak to seems to give me a different answer. I’m starting to become concerned that I won’t have enough money to cover us while I’m studying. I’d be grateful for any advice you could give me - thank you!

Hi, if you ticked that you are a single parent and you sent your childrens evidence in, then you will be automatically award the special support element - this increased the Maintenance Loan amount slightly.
Thanks, Isaac
Please could you help me too? I’m about to start my PGCE I have 2 dependant children and cannot survive on just student finance as I have a mortgage. Will I be eligible for universal credits? Anyone know roughly how much the payments are if entitled? I’m bloody terrified
Original post by Elleneden
Please could you help me too? I’m about to start my PGCE I have 2 dependant children and cannot survive on just student finance as I have a mortgage. Will I be eligible for universal credits? Anyone know roughly how much the payments are if entitled? I’m bloody terrified

Hi, we are not able to advise on universal credit. We advise you to contact them.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending