The Student Room Group

What foods are suprisingly high in calories or not as bad as we think they are

Today I was eating wholegrain chicken nuggets by birds eye and checked how much calories it was... 239 for only 6 of them! I knew they were high in calories but not THAT high in calories, plus we usually pair nuggets with other foods (like chips and pizza.) I didn't even like nuggets that much in the first place so I'm definitely never eating them again.

So I was wondering what other foods I should watch out for? But on top of that, what foods aren't as bad as we think they are?
(edited 3 years ago)
Cereal bars and energy bars are normally high in calories despite their name
You should avoid granola bars/ cereals. People think they’re healthy but they’re really not. Tbh cereal in general can be quite bad since you need to eat quite a lot to fill you up and it doesn’t keep you full for very long. On the packaging it says one serving is around 150 calories but honestly who only eats 30g of cereal??
Original post by ChanBlinkOnce
Today I was eating wholegrain chicken nuggets by birds eye and checked how much calories it was... 239 for only 6 of them! I knew they were high in calories but not THAT high in calories, plus we usually pair nuggets with other foods (like chips and pizza.) I didn't even like nuggets that much in the first place so I'm definitely never eating them again.

So I was wondering what other foods I should watch out for? But on top of that, what foods aren't as bad as we think they are?

And wow I didn’t realise nuggets were that high in calories
Original post by Sampada Gurung
You should avoid granola bars/ cereals. People think they’re healthy but they’re really not. Tbh cereal in general can be quite bad since you need to eat quite a lot to fill you up and it doesn’t keep you full for very long. On the packaging it says one serving is around 150 calories but honestly who only eats 30g of cereal??

You should eat definitely eat porridge for breakfast rather than cereal if you can
Reply 5
high calorie = cheese, nuts, seeds, mayo, salad dressings, dense breads like ciabatta and focaccia, avocado, dried fruit, peanut butter. most coffee beverages you find in coffee shops like Starbucks. basically anything that tastes good :tongue:

foods that aren't as bad as we think idk; maybe eggs and dark chocolate.
Original post by Joleee
high calorie = cheese, nuts, seeds, mayo, salad dressings, dense breads like ciabatta and focaccia, avocado, dried fruit, peanut butter. most coffee beverages you find in coffee shops like Starbucks. basically anything that tastes good :tongue:

foods that aren't as bad as we think idk; maybe eggs and dark chocolate.

Oh yes, salads can be very high in calories because of the dressing
Reply 7
Higher in calories unhealthy. Having quickly looked at the ingredients and nutrition of those particular chicken nuggets - yes, you could do better, especially if you're actively trying to lose weight, but you could also do a lot worse (for example, with chips and pizza, indeed). If you stick to the suggested serving size, those nuggs really aren't that bad.
Original post by Hannah0505
Cereal bars and energy bars are normally high in calories despite their name

There's nothing in their name that suggests they would be low calorie. It's literally in the name 'energy bar' - calories are just a unit of energy.
Original post by Sampada Gurung
You should avoid granola bars/ cereals. Tbh cereal in general can be quite bad since you need to eat quite a lot to fill you up and it doesn’t keep you full for very long. On the packaging it says one serving is around 150 calories but honestly who only eats 30g of cereal??

Whether cereal is bad for you or not depends on what that specific cereal is. If you find that the cereal you're eating isn't filling you up for very long, you're probably eating a cereal which has a higher sugar content (including some granolas), as opposed to something like Weetabix, where most of the calories are coming from wholegrain wheat - the same stuff as a good bowl of porridge. If you're eating a suitable choice of cereal, and depending on your diet for the rest of the day, there's also nothing necessarily unhealthy about having a bowl of even 400+ kcal worth of cereal and milk if that's the only thing you're having for breakfast.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ChanBlinkOnce

Generally, the more processed food is, the higher the calories. Even savoury foods can have a lot of sugar in them! You can have a tasty meal cooking a chicken or fish fillet in herbs and spices, and make your own oven-cooked wedges.

Also, watch out for foods labelled 'low fat', paricularly for yoghurts, as they tend to be high in sugar to make up the taste.
Foods that are higher in calories than most people think - mayonnaise, some cuts of meat I.e. lamb & pork, oily fish, processed meats, dried fruit, granola, fruit juices, sauces.

Lower in calories than most people think - potatoes, bread, low fat yoghurt, lean cuts of meat/white fish, most stuff with a high water content like soup.

Higher calories doesn’t mean unhealthy though.

Quick Reply

Latest