The Student Room Group

Guys does anyone have stories or advice on how to lose weight?

Does anyone have their own personal stories on how you have been excessively working out? Or how you’ve lost a lot of weight/body fat?

Because I’ve gained soo much weight, and I want to excessively work out, but.. I don’t do it enough in a day or work out to hard.

I’ve done yoga like 2-3 times a week and also a full body work out like 1-2 times a day in all pretty much in the same week.
I binge eat but recently I’ve been eating less in a day.
So please any advice/stories?

Scroll to see replies

Calories. Exercise won't do much if you're still shoving 5000 calories in your mouth despite burning 500. Calorie deficit. Slow and steady. No crash dieting - change your lifestyle so that once you lose the weight, you don't put it back on. Don't get skinny fat, get toned.
Reply 2
From the sounds of things, you seem to be over pushing yourself.

I understand the urge to want to lose weight, but your body still needs time to rest and recover, and doing 2 body weight training sessions per day is excessive.

From an exercise perspective, I'd try to aim for around 5 sessions a week as a good average; if you're trying to lose weight, cardio sessions are a good way forward.

Don't overlook diet though if you're aiming to lose weight. You want to be in a calorie deficit (consuming less calories than your body burns each day), and try avoiding processed foods, sugary foods and the like, while aiming to get in a good amount of fibre, nutrients and vegetables.
Reply 3
Be in a caloric deficit. Do strength training. Stay consistent. That's it really. Also, eat satiating foods, so you aren't as hungry (during the deficit). See, it's simple 🙂.
Original post by Faves_26
Does anyone have their own personal stories on how you have been excessively working out? Or how you’ve lost a lot of weight/body fat?

Because I’ve gained soo much weight, and I want to excessively work out, but.. I don’t do it enough in a day or work out to hard.

I’ve done yoga like 2-3 times a week and also a full body work out like 1-2 times a day in all pretty much in the same week.
I binge eat but recently I’ve been eating less in a day.
So please any advice/stories?

There isn't really a quick fix and like others have said it's important to not rush it but as well as eat balancing. For example you still need to eat to survive but to lose weight you need to eat a healthy amount and not over the amount of calories that you are burning off. For me I lost weight naturally after cutting out meat, as I became a vegetarian but not for weight reasons, and set a walking step goal everyday to meet. I didn't calorie count but I was probably eating at least half of what I was burning as your body needs the nutrients to live and repair after exercise.

There is loads of things to try but it's most important not to cut out key things like some diets do, for example some carbs as they can actually provide a slow release of energy so keep you fuller for longer, also do you snack a lot in between meals? Also don't stress about gaining weight as muscle actually weighs more than fat and it's important to keep a healthy body weight as both under weight and too much over weight are dangerous. Also remember that even if you calculate that you are over weight you may not be due to muscle as I would probably be classed as it but I walk everyday, run 3 times a week on top of this and also do some Pilates workouts and eat pretty healthily. If you need any advice you can also google things and follow medical websites like NHS, hope this helps :smile:
Eat less, excercise more.
Depending on if your male or female, you can actually lose eight with no exorcise if you stick to a relatively low calorie diet. For women, you can lose 2lbs a week (so in 7 weeks that’s 1 Stone) if you eat 1,500 calories a day. That’s enough to feel full and energised, it isn’t a crash diet and you can healthily lose weight by being sedentary (very little exercise). For men it’s a bit higher, you can get away with 1,800 I think. Not sure. But it does work, I gained a bit of weight during lockdown and since last week have been doing a 1,500 diet plan and have lost 3lbs so far.
Original post by Anonymous17!
Depending on if your male or female, you can actually lose eight with no exorcise if you stick to a relatively low calorie diet. For women, you can lose 2lbs a week (so in 7 weeks that’s 1 Stone) if you eat 1,500 calories a day. That’s enough to feel full and energised, it isn’t a crash diet and you can healthily lose weight by being sedentary (very little exercise). For men it’s a bit higher, you can get away with 1,800 I think. Not sure. But it does work, I gained a bit of weight during lockdown and since last week have been doing a 1,500 diet plan and have lost 3lbs so far.

U can't give someone an exact caloric number without knowing their, weight, age and activity level. If I as a male ate as many kcals as you are recommending to lose weight, I would be in a 1000kcal deficit which is certainly a crash diet.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
U can't give someone an exact caloric number without knowing their, weight, age and activity level. If I as a male ate as many kcals as you are recommending to lose weight, I would be in a 1000kcal deficit which is certainly a crash diet.

I meant on average, and because I’m a girl I know more about women’s than men’s. I said I think 1,800 is what the average is for men. I should have specified I meant average, my apologies.
I meant on average, and because I’m a girl I know more about women’s than men’s. I said I think 1,800 is what the average is for men. I should have specified I meant average, my apologies.

To lose 2lbs per week you’d need a deficit of 1,000 calories per day on average. This means you’re saying maintenance calories for the average female is 2,500 per day, and for the average man is 2,800 per day. It’s sadly not this high. Closer to ~2,000 and ~2,500. Depending on how much you weigh to begin with 2lbs per week could also be considered a crash diet. I wouldn’t recommend losing more than 1% bodyweight per week in most cases so for anyone under 200lbs it’d be pretty fast weight loss. For most females it’d be a crash diet.
Eat 50% less.
Original post by TheRealSaifali
intermittent fasting where you don't eat after 9pm until 2pm, you can drink water though. An alternative may be mixing 1-2 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar in water before exercising.

And what does apple cider vinegar do?
Original post by TheRealSaifali
intermittent fasting where you don't eat after 9pm until 2pm, you can drink water though. An alternative may be mixing 1-2 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar in water before exercising.

Magic beans are even better than apple cider vinegar
Original post by Nutritionist
To lose 2lbs per week you’d need a deficit of 1,000 calories per day on average. This means you’re saying maintenance calories for the average female is 2,500 per day, and for the average man is 2,800 per day. It’s sadly not this high. Closer to ~2,000 and ~2,500. Depending on how much you weigh to begin with 2lbs per week could also be considered a crash diet. I wouldn’t recommend losing more than 1% bodyweight per week in most cases so for anyone under 200lbs it’d be pretty fast weight loss. For most females it’d be a crash diet.

I probably got my information wrong then, but I did read that 1,500 for women would be enough to lose weight in a healthy way from rebuttable sites. My apologies
I probably got my information wrong then, but I did read that 1,500 for women would be enough to lose weight in a healthy way from rebuttable sites. My apologies

You weren’t a million miles off. I was just pointing it out, no hard feeling or anything
Eat well. Incorporate plenty of veg into your diet like spinach, cauliflower, aubergines, courgettes and the like. Have fruits instead of snacking.
You weren’t a million miles off. I was just pointing it out, no hard feeling or anything

Nah it’s fine :lol:
Original post by QuestioningPsych
Hormones can play a huge role in weight gain/loss and this was the case in my experience. No matter how much I exercised or how well I ate, I didn't lose any weight and kept gaining. Rather than cutting calories perhaps look at the the level of calories, macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients in your diet and try to create a better balance.

If weight gain persists or you feel unable to lose weight, give your GP a call.

You weren’t in a calorie deficit
Original post by QuestioningPsych
My understanding is a calorie deficit is defined by consuming less calories than what is required to maintain current body weight? I averaged a dangerously low number of calories over a pro-longed period and it didn't alter my weight. ****Edit: I obviously don't recommend this as a strategy to the original poster, I was unwell at the time.

You can't establish from my original post whether I was in a calorie deficit or not.

Yes I can. If you didn’t lose weight you weren’t in a calorie deficit.
Yes I can. If you didn’t lose weight you weren’t in a calorie deficit.

Just adding on, @QuestioningPsych, you did not break the laws of thermodynamics. If you did not lose weight, you weren't in a caloric deficit.

Quick Reply

Latest