The Student Room Group

Dating a guy who lives at home

Girls, is it a turn off to date a guy who lives his mum? Like I do. It seems like it's been my achilles heel in the dating world for the last year or so.
I finished my masters degree last year and got straight into a graduate job (May). I paid for that with what was basically my life savings, money which I was going to invest into buying a house with. But I was miserable in my career before then and wanted better options. And now I have them.
I have plans to move out in the next 6 months or so. Once I've saved up enough for a deposit.

Thing is most girls I date or encounter don't have their own place. Like one girl I was seeing last autumn said she'd like a guy with a job, his own place and a car. Yet she lived with her parents, didn't drive, and was a full time student. I do drive and have a full time job/career. So that grated me a little. I doubt that represents all girls though and their intentions.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Well lack of independence isn't generally seen as sexy.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
Well lack of independence isn't generally seen as sexy.

Helpful
Who cares what girls think? Just keep up the grind and you'll get there in the end. Focus on yourself and accept people into your life who are worth it. Discard the external opinions of haters.
As an 18 year old girl I don't find it a turn off if a guy lives with his mum. How old are you? I'd say anyone over the age of 30 living with their mum there is a problem, however with life being so expensive nowadays, being able to amass enough funds to move out is deffo difficult
If I'm honest, it might be. I live on my own and earn a pretty decent wage. If you earned significantly less than me, it would mean that either I would have to pay on dates, or we would be limited in what we did. I would worry that you would feel uncomfortable with me earning more than you. So the fact that you live with your parents is not a problem in itself, but if there is a big difference in how much we earn, it might be.
Yes, it's a turn off for me.
I'm not interested in dating guys who are still on speaking terms with their ancestors or family orientated.
That said I have a long list of dating deal-breakers, have never dated a guy in his 20s and never will.
Not really a huge problem, if he's looking into moving out, then that's all good.

Depends, I'd like a guy whose Independent, but if he lives with his mum that's perfectly okay, he's just got to have ambition, and keep on doing what he likes to do, and also have the intention of one day moving out!
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, it's a turn off for me.
I'm not interested in dating guys who are still on speaking terms with their ancestors or family orientated.
That said I have a long list of dating deal-breakers, have never dated a guy in his 20s and never will.

Why is it a problem if a guy is on speaking terms with his family?
Original post by black tea

Hi Black Tea, I have the impression they are attracted to people who have a dysfunctional family relationship.
depends on age
Original post by Anonymous
Helpful

'Any replies appreciated apart from simple ones I don't like', greyscale baby :rolleyes:
Original post by black tea

Conflicting lifestyles and values that guarantee relationship incompatibility.
Guys who date me will never be introduced to my surviving ancestors and if they ask me to agree to meet their relatives the answer will be no.
I have no intention of joining or disrupting an extended family and know that always saying 'no' create a strong negative vibe.

Always saying 'no' creates a strong negative vibe.

Or a funky 90's dance beat
Guys who date me will never be introduced to my surviving ancestors and if they ask me to agree to meet their relatives the answer will be no.
I have no intention of joining or disrupting an extended family and know that always saying 'no' create a strong negative vibe.

sounds like something underlying on your end might need addressing

Fair enough
Original post by StriderHort
Or a funky 90's dance beat

:danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy: :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
Original post by conorellis42
sounds like something underlying on your end might need addressing

No, it's already been addressed in my dating dealbreakers.
I escaped from my own ancestors seven years ago, cut contact and avoid them all like the plague.
I don't want any close involvement with the 'family is everything' or 'automatically respect your elders' types.
I escaped from my own ancestors seven years ago, cut contact and avoid them all like the plague.
I don't want any close involvement with the 'family is everything' or 'automatically respect your elders' types.

It sounds like an arbitrary restriction, given that not everybody who has a good relationship with their family is obsessed with them

Phil Mitchel will be crying into his crack :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending