The Student Room Group

Moving to Uni by yourself

I’m starting to get nervous now due to it being August. So I might have to fly over to Uni by myself due to my Mum & Dad being high risk cause of COVID, I’m flying from Belfast to Cardiff & it’s the first I’m flying alone- has anyone else in the UK flown to uni alone / international students & how do you get over nerves?
Reply 1
yea mate. I'm an international student that started last year and actually I started a month late due to visa issues, so when I arrived I was behind on assignments and finding accomodation was a real challenge. but after 1 year it all worked out and I survived

just keep your head up and remember that you are doing this for your future and thus you can never give up. remember that everyone else is feeling same way although they might not show it. it's okay to he scared inside but always try to let your actions be brave. and remember, someone out there has it worse than you so you can use that to be appreciative of your current situation. cheers
Don’t be worried about asking for help.
Original post by 2jz_kyle
yea mate. I'm an international student that started last year and actually I started a month late due to visa issues, so when I arrived I was behind on assignments and finding accomodation was a real challenge. but after 1 year it all worked out and I survived

just keep your head up and remember that you are doing this for your future and thus you can never give up. remember that everyone else is feeling same way although they might not show it. it's okay to he scared inside but always try to let your actions be brave. and remember, someone out there has it worse than you so you can use that to be appreciative of your current situation. cheers

I'm just lucky that I'm an hour away from home, I don't know how international students can manage it- If it wasn't for COVID then my parents could've came but sadly not which is making me more nervous
Original post by PQ
Don’t be worried about asking for help.

What help?
Original post by davidosullivan
What help?

Anything - finding where to go in the airport, sorting out transport from the airport to your university, carrying bags etc etc
Staff at the airport and your university should be able to help with all sorts of things if they know you're travelling alone for the first time - you just have to ask
Just do it, really. Look at the airline's and airport's websites to learn about how to pack your bags and any covid restrictions (i.e. wearing a mask during the flight). Airports are usually well signed so it's difficult to get lost in them, especially smaller ones like Belfast and Cardiff. Once you get off the plane then follow around to the luggage pickup area, get your bags, then head through to the bus station and get the right bus to go to your destination.

You can also learn techniques for dealing with flying if you're a bad flyer, they're a quick google away.
Original post by PQ
Anything - finding where to go in the airport, sorting out transport from the airport to your university, carrying bags etc etc

Staff at the airport and your university should be able to help with all sorts of things if they know you're travelling alone for the first time - you just have to ask

I think my uni have something on that but for international students where they meet them at the Airport but I dunno how it would be post COVID, going to enquire!
I feel for you. I remember when my dad dropped me off at my digs in london couple years ago. I am a mature student but it was still nerve wracking. Like you I was only one hour flight from home. I think what got me through was being honest about how I felt, making sure I connected with people from my course and regular contact with folks at home. Also in my down time did things to relax like walks gym etc.
Also my course personal tutor knew I was away from home, and that I was anxious and that helped knowing she knew my worries.
Some unis do a nice meet and greet at airports and things. They should be able to assist with moving you in.
It is extra hard for people now with the situation with covid. I think anxiety is extra high and thats normal, I am sure lots of people are feeling the same. Its all very weird!
I am going back to studies again in Jan 2021 and I am nervous again thats for sure.
I think you just have to take things day for day and focus on the end goal!!!! Really good luck for your course...you can do this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending