The Student Room Group

University Choice

Hello this is my first time posting on the student room. I need some help with picking which university I should go to. I put Leeds as my firm because I didn't think I was going to do good in my A levels but I ended up getting A*,A ,A and I'm not to sure which university I should now go to. I want to study mathematics and I'm fine with taking a gap year to get to a good university but I would prefer if I could get into a university through UCAS adjustment. If anyone has any universities that are good and I could actually get into and that employers take seriously I would really appreciate it if you could recommend me them.
I mean - Leeds is a great university and well respected by employers
Reply 2
How about you see what is available in adjustment?
Original post by GioSB
Hello this is my first time posting on the student room. I need some help with picking which university I should go to. I put Leeds as my firm because I didn't think I was going to do good in my A levels but I ended up getting A*,A ,A and I'm not to sure which university I should now go to. I want to study mathematics and I'm fine with taking a gap year to get to a good university but I would prefer if I could get into a university through UCAS adjustment. If anyone has any universities that are good and I could actually get into and that employers take seriously I would really appreciate it if you could recommend me them.

Leeds is a good uni, and if you have already visited it and liked it enough to firm it, I would stick. I've had a quick look around and there seems to be very few top-tier unis which have spaces left (quite a few I looked at said something along the lines of 'we currently have no spaces for Clearing or Adjustment applicants).
Many of the best clearing place have gone for this year. It’s your choice whether you’d want to wait another year maybe retake one or two a levels and possibly get into somewhere like Warwick, Bath or Durham.
Original post by Karolali
How about you see what is available in adjustment?

You can't. You just need to ring up unis you are interested in
Original post by GioSB

In the Guardian guide Leeds is ranked 20th for math so it's worth phoning some of the higher-ranked unis. Go for a Russell Group uni off the list - because employers take them seriously.
Reply 7
Original post by mike23mike
In the Guardian guide Leeds is ranked 20th for math so it's worth phoning some of the higher-ranked unis. Go for a Russell Group uni off the list - because employers take them seriously.

Do u think Lancaster is good? I see that it ranks pretty high on a lot of lists but it isn't considered a Russell group university so I'm not entirely sure if I should go to Lancaster over Leeds.
Original post by GioSB
Do u think Lancaster is good? I see that it ranks pretty high on a lot of lists but it isn't considered a Russell group university so I'm not entirely sure if I should go to Lancaster over Leeds.

Lancaster has been working hard over the last 10 years to be recognised as a top tier uni. Certainly, it is well regarded and the math dept is more highly ranked than Leeds. Its a campus uni so very different atmosphere from Leeds. No shame in going there.
Reply 9
Lancaster has been working hard over the last 10 years to be recognised as a top tier uni. Certainly, it is well regarded and the math dept is more highly ranked than Leeds. Its a campus uni so very different atmosphere from Leeds. No shame in going there.

Thanks for the reply I think I will go to Lancaster in that case.
Original post by GioSB
Thanks for the reply I think I will go to Lancaster in that case.

Hi @GioSB,
I'm currently a student at Lancaster so let me know if you have anything I can help you with.
You can also talk to current students using UniBuddy if you want to find out more about our campus.
I'm not sure from the posts if you've contacted us or applied through adjustment but we still have spaces in clearing and you're welcome to apply.
Let me know if I can help you with anything,
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Hi @GioSB
If you have any questions about studying at Lancaster feel free to ask us students and we can help you out !
Student ambassador Holly at Lancaster Uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending