The Student Room Group

Does tutoring count as employment (UCAS)

Hi, I tutor some younger students a couple times a week, and am paid directly by their parents, per hour. Does this count as "employment", d.h. do I enter this into the "employment" section in my UCAS application?
Original post by MateInTwo
Hi, I tutor some younger students a couple times a week, and am paid directly by their parents, per hour. Does this count as "employment", d.h. do I enter this into the "employment" section in my UCAS application?

Yes you can enter that in the employment section. To be honest, it won't affect much unless the tutoring is relevant to your degree course (a lot of UCAS applicants just leave the employment section blank) but you can include it if you want to.
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
Yes you can enter that in the employment section. To be honest, it won't affect much unless the tutoring is relevant to your degree course (a lot of UCAS applicants just leave the employment section blank) but you can include it if you want to.

I'm applying for a mathematics undergratuate degree, and have given tutoring in maths. Is that relevant? I'd think so...
Original post by MateInTwo
I'm applying for a mathematics undergratuate degree, and have given tutoring in maths. Is that relevant? I'd think so...

Yes I think so too and you could also talk about it in your personal statement if you want
Original post by cloud1706
is it okay to put it in your personal statement but not in the employment section?

Why would you want to do that?

If you were in paid employment then it should be included in your employment section
Original post by PQ
Why would you want to do that?

If you were in paid employment then it should be included in your employment section

I thought it counted as self-employment so I don't know whose details to give as the employer
I thought it counted as self-employment so I don't know whose details to give as the employer

If you’re self employed then put that.
Original post by PQ
If you’re self employed then put that.

in the employment section ?
in the employment section ?

Yes. Self employment is still paid employment.
Depends how much other stuff is in your PS. Shows that you are pursuing your academic interests outside of the classroom and also that you are empassioned about your subject enough to want to develop the skills of younger pupils.!! (rather than just the cash aspect of it!)
Being good at a subject is one thing; being able to bring it alive and help it make sense to others that find it more difficult shows that you have patience and can communicate your subject. These are positives surely? See how much other stuff you have and decide accordingly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending